Thread: Air conditioning control

boostaholic

Air conditioning control

I have a 92 Iroc rt. I went thru a long process but now I have functioning ac in my car. The pressures and levels of refrigerant are correct, a shop did it. My problem is with how the car functions the ac, sitting idling, the ac doesn't get very cold, bit as soon as you start driving, it's really cold. Doing some other weird things.

What controls the ac system? ECM, bcm, or the climate control itself?

Hybrid booster

Re: Air conditioning control

Is your electric fan coming on with the A/C?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Yeah, sounds like an airflow issue across the condenser.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I bet your condenser isn't up to the task. Is it a R12 converted to R134a? I can tell you the serpentine type or the tube and fin condensers here in AZ suck unless you're moving. You need a parallel flow condenser to get the best performance out of R134a system.

boostaholic

Not sure about the fan coming on, I'll look into that.

My condenser is a good unit I pulled out of a grand caravan at the jy a few years ago. It was a newer model that bolted straight to my lines, I know the condenser was from a r134 vehicle. Not sure of the design of my unit.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Not sure about the fan coming on, I'll look into that.

My condenser is a good unit I pulled out of a grand caravan at the jy a few years ago. It was a newer model that bolted straight to my lines, I know the condenser was from a r134 vehicle. Not sure of the design of my unit.
    Definitely make sure the fan is coming on.

Can you take a picture of it? What's "good" and "efficient" with R134a are two different things. Most early R134a Chryslers used tube and fin condensers. It's not the best condenser to use. The better the condenser the better the AC blows. I have a tube and fin condenser in my van. It's okay when I'm moving but starts to get warm when I'm sitting still in the sun. This fall I'm going to be installing an aftermarket parallel flow condenser.

boostaholic

I messed around with the high pressure switch wires going to the switch and I think I have a short. Going to replace both wires and see what happens. All I know is that after playing with those wires I was driving the car with the AC on and it nearly froze me out. My condenser is good, I just had an issue with the compressor not staying running long enough. Seems to be fixed now.

Ill try and get some pics of my condenser later today.

boostaholic

A/C is fully functional now. I do notice that the a/c worked much better while moving, I am going to try an seal my half sized condenser better to the larger radiator, I think adding some foam around it and not allowing air to escape, should really help in this case. I am also going to seal up the cooling fan to the radiator itself to draw that air through both cores better.

That might help a little. I had a crap condenser in my dad's '85 wagon I tried doing that to and it didn't help. Once I got a more efficient condenser in it worked much better. Can you post a picture of your condenser?

boostaholic

Just added some foam to the top and drivers side of the condenser. Will see how it performs now.

That's the same style serpentine type I had in my dad's wagon and a friend had in his Omni that didn't cool that well for us. The best condenser to get is a parallel flow.

boostaholic

Can you recommend a replacement that I can put in my car? I also seem to be having cooling issues when the car is warmed up. I may need to change to a full length radiator also.

I put (I believe) a Silla C3251A condenser on the recommendation of a friend into my dad's wagon. It's a serpentine type, with the Chrysler hose adaptor, and smaller than the factory condenser but the AC is pretty cold in it and that's in the death heat of AZ. I was surprised that it does as well as it does not being a parallel flow and being smaller than factory. You might want to look into that one.

I had the T-II radiator in my Dad's wagon with a large air to air intercooler blocking the radiator and it ran hot. I took out the intercooler and put in the factory radiator and it runs cool now. I'm going to install an air to water intercooler in it instead and leave the full size radiator.

boostaholic

Do you happen to have a part number for a parallel cross flow condenser that will fit in roughly the same space as the current one. I would like to have a good quality AC system in this car and the limiting factor right now is the terrible design of the current condenser. I would like this unit to have the same mounting to the ac lines as the current Chrysler condenser.
    Thanks

You are not going to find a parallel flow condenser with the factory line hook-ups. Your going to have to have lines made. The aftermarket universal AC condenser part number I used is CN20009C and measures 14" X 20". Here are some pictures of the install of it I did in a customers '87 GLHS.

boostaholic

I found this direct replacement for the current one in my car.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2669&ppt=C0355

Scared to call and find out the price thou.

I did find other 1991 Dodge Caravan parallel flow replacements on Rock Auto, priced $69 and 78

The one you pictured is a "tube & fin" condenser. The tubes are larger than a true parallel flow so the refrigerant in the center of the tube doesn't get cooled down because it doesn't come in contact with the tube. Look closely at the one I pictured. It has very flat/narrow passageways so the refrigerant has a better chance of coming in contact with the tube to get cooled off.

boostaholic

The description states it is a parallel flow condenser and they way the end looks it is not the same as a serpentine designed one. I am sure this would be more efficent than the one I have in there now. My current one is out of a JY Caravan. I was trying to see an image of the tubes themselves, but no images are available.

This one http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2669&ppt=C0355 is technically a parallel flow but is still a tube and fin condenser and will not cool as well as the one I pictured post #15. It "may" cool better than the one you have but it will not cool as well as it could. I installed a tube and fin condenser in a customer's car and on a 110* AZ day, it didn't cool any better than 80*. Once he go back to TN where it was humid and 90* it cooled enough for him to be happy with it.