Thread: Front end rebuild on Spirit R/T

Front end rebuild on Spirit R/T

Guys,

I need to replace my struts and shocks (among other parts) on my Spirit R/T.
    Questions:

1) Which brand is a better stock Spirit R/T replacement strut or shock - Gabriel or Monroe?

2) Do the original Mopar struts and shocks from other performance (K body extended) FWD Mopars - Lancer GT, Shadow CSX etc - interchange on a Spirit? I would gladly use original Mopar parts if possible.

3) Does anyone have the Mopar Performance struts or shocks?

4) Which manufacturer made these for Mopar?

Garrett booster

Re: Front end rebuild on Spirit R/T

I, too, need to replace mine. Any suggestions or answers? Thanks!!

Hybrid booster

everything will interchange except from l-body cars, koni would be the best replacement or the Monroe formula GP struts that came on csx, the Gabriel or Monroe struts sold most everywhere are just standard replacement and will be softer

Can't find konis or Mopar performance struts and shocks, anywhere.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 91dodgespiritrt View Post
    Can't find konis or Mopar performance struts and shocks, anywhere.
    yea those are hard to come by now a days.. but honestly if you can spend a little, go for the bc coilover set up from rbryant.. make sure to get the extra length version though. man those are sweet !! my car rides so much better with those compaired to the mopar peformance struts/shocks i had
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Mitsu booster

I am building a kit to use Monroe struts with a 2.5" Eibach spring setup. I can send pictures or check the T D sight and there are pictures there. I have this on my 91 Spirit RT, also on a couple Daytona's.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Monroe sucks, the Sensa Junks are brutally bad. Koni, coilovers, Rbryants kit or Gabriels are the way to go.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Cut and gut Your current struts and replace the innards with Koni inserts from a SRT Neon.
    There is a thread on this forum about this.
    FWD sells Koni shocks for the rear.

If you want to save some money, KYB struts are decent. Only GR2 are available for the front, you can get Gas-A-Just for the rear. I have these on my Lancer and it's fine.

Mitsu booster

I would agree that the Monroe Strut isn't the best choice but the point is that this 2.5" adjustable ride height setup up can use a stock strut or KYB. This setup will allow a P245/45-17 tire to fit the front of a '91 RT Spirit.

Thanks for responding guys. Aren't the Formula GTs "Monroe" struts? How well do those handle? They would fit an "A" body RIGHT?

Hybrid booster

I'm using the same KYB shocks/struts I bought for my 1992 Daytona on my 1991 Spirit. Everything swapped right over.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Formula GP shocks/struts were made by Monroe back in the day. If you are super lucky maybe you can find a set NOS but even that might be a crapshoot as to how long they might last. I certainly wouldn't feel very good about installing them after sitting on a shelf for 25 years. The supply of GP struts seems to be long gone but sometimes you can find the GP shocks. I totally wish that Monroe would make another run of these but it is doubtful that will ever happen.

I have used KYB shocks and struts in the past and the best bet for off-the-shelf and currently available bolt-ons are KYB GR2 struts and KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. The KYB GR2 struts are OK but leave a lot to be desired. I really like the KYB GAJ rear shocks though. That is my experience on using them on a Shelby Lancer with Eibach springs and an Omni GLH Turbo with stock springs (I lucked out and was able to find KYB GAJ rear shocks for an L-body on eBay which are no longer made as far as I know). Why can't KYB make their "AGX" line for us? Oh yeah...we are a niche group unfortunately. Too low volume but it would probably be just what a lot of us want.

If you want 'best' rather than 'good', go with a coil-over setup from Rbryant or FWDP or the cut-a-strut method mentioned by ajakeski.
    Last edited by iTurbo; 01-25-2015 at 01:54 AM.