Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb tuning questions.

turbo addict

Newb tuning questions.

I have my Omni up and running on a BB SMEC. Idle, cruise, part load are not too bad, but it is lean in boost. Which table will I need to adjust to correct this? Ive tried changing the fuel part throttle and fuel full throttle tables with no luck, I also changed the mapdeltaenrichmentpt table with no help. My wide band shows 13-13.2 in boost.

I also went as far as changing the injector scale to 55lb injectors to try and trick it, no luck.

turbo addict

Re: Newb tuning questions.

Any reason why you want to keep using BlueBerry cal?

turbo addict

boost button, sorry for any confusion.

turbo addict

FullThrottle is the table.

Are you burning a chip or using ostrich?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

If you are running +40's, set the injector size to 58 lbs. Does AFR stay the same while in boost, or does it get richer or leaner as rpm increases?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

I am using a flashable boost button smec. the air fuels drop to about 13:1 range and stay steady until about 15-17psi then it goes way lean. im running 75lb hour injectors and I scaled the cal down to 55lb without any real change.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I would back that boost off until you get your fueling to actually respond to changes you make in your cal.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I would back that boost off until you get your fueling to actually respond to changes you make in your cal.
    I agree with ondonti turn your boost way down until you get the fuel right. YOu don't want to put a hole in a piston.
    Give us your specs, engine size, injectors size, etc. Any codes? sounds like it may be scaled for bigger injectors than you have, thus giving you less fuel. Also if it is a 2.2 cal on a 2.5, etc. How much of a newB are you? that will give us an idea of where to start to help you.

Also it is possible that you are changing the tables but then not saving and Re-compiling the file to get the new updated .bin file, thus continually burning/flashing the same unchanged .bin to the computer

Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnf2fsL10I I am no pro but this give a good start. I assume you know most of that already as you are changing stuff, but maybe missing a step somewhere

I would run a vacuum/boost line directly to the wastegate, this will give you minimum boost level (usually 6ish psi on a stock turbo/can) and is a good spot to start tuning from. Or if you have a EBC, turn it all the way down. Once the AFR is right at this level, then turn it up a couple psi at a time and adjust accordingly.

What fuel pressure are you running?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

Doesn't sounds like the changes of the calibration is making its way to the ECU.

Can you verify what you have the ECU to the calibration you changed?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    I agree with ondonti turn your boost way down until you get the fuel right. YOu don't want to put a hole in a piston.
    Give us your specs, engine size, injectors size, etc. Any codes? sounds like it may be scaled for bigger injectors than you have, thus giving you less fuel. Also if it is a 2.2 cal on a 2.5, etc. How much of a newB are you? that will give us an idea of where to start to help you.

Also it is possible that you are changing the tables but then not saving and Re-compiling the file to get the new updated .bin file, thus continually burning/flashing the same unchanged .bin to the computer

Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnf2fsL10I I am no pro but this give a good start. I assume you know most of that already as you are changing stuff, but maybe missing a step somewhere
    I think you got it. I have been saving the file but not compiling it. ( doh) That would explain why my changed didn't make a difference.

Also, I turned boost down as much as possible. no pre load on the arm, line directly to gate, ect. but im still running the stock he341 wastegate can, so minimum is 17psi. I was going to put helper puller springs on the arm if I couldn't get this figured out today.

turbo addict

so that's what the problem was. I have successfully tuned the car on 17psi, 93 octane, no knock. Feels amazing, 11.7afr across the board. Gonna fine tune a little bit of the drivability stuff then start on the e85 tune. thank you 1badvan for the youtube link. it was very helpful!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yay Matt for the advice.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post

That video was very informative. A few more of those and I wouldn't look completly stupid when asking questions.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    That video was very informative. A few more of those and I wouldn't look completly stupid when asking questions.
    I vote to either make it a sticky or put it in the knowledge center. I swear that I search before asking but there either threads with 40+ pages that take awhile to dig through or not direct answers in the shorter ones. Since I didn't know that compiling them was the issue, I didn't know what to search. Thanks everyone for their input and suggestions. they are very much appreciated!

turbo addict

A few videos like this and most of the newb questions would be cleared up. I'm getting a flashable smec here soon and will be asking a lot of questions I'm sure. A few of these would make it a lot better

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    so that's what the problem was. I have successfully tuned the car on 17psi, 93 octane, no knock. Feels amazing, 11.7afr across the board. Gonna fine tune a little bit of the drivability stuff then start on the e85 tune. thank you 1badvan for the youtube link. it was very helpful!
    Cool! Can you send me a copy of that cal then? I was kinda wondering what you had changed when I looked at that other one this morning, pumping efficiency was still stock lol.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

Ill try to send these tomorrow, i still need to add to the pumping tables. I also changed the part throttle and wot tables to command a richer mixture, esp up top. still need to add more.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    Glad you figured it out, it's always frustrating to get stuck on a car project.

turbo addict

I'd like some more info on what to do for part throttle fuel and such. Still have boost there too is it just more of the same

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast