Thread: Power Module Connectors - L Body

Hybrid booster

Power Module Connectors - L Body

Soooo, the connectors that go to the power module on my 86 Shelby Charger are NASTY. They are rusty/deformed/etc. The car will randomly not start, you can't here the fuel pump run, but when you wiggle these connectors it will start up. I definitely want to make a solid repair before I start driving it on the road. My initial idea is to remove the power module, solder a wire on each pin, then fill the connector areas with caulk and install a better connector farther down the line. How is everybody else dealing with this issue?? Ideas please! L body parts are getting impossible to find, especially something so obscure as the connectors that go to the power module.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: Power Module Connectors - L Body

Squeeze the connectors on the wire side so they make better contact with the PM pins.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

There was some effort to find the correct pin spacing and amp rating to replace the connectors on the board with something more modern and aftermarket. I don't think that panned out.

turbo addict

don't jam anything in the barrels of the connectors that slip over the pins
    the barrels do not make the contact , rather there is a tang inside the barrel that scrapes against the pin to make contact

trying to clean those barrels out by reaming them , thinking they will be nice and clean when you're done bends those tangs & prevents contact

lol, I walked out to my garage one night to find a buddy doing exactly that with my torch tip cleaning tool
    needless to say he was here pretty late soldering new connectors to his wireing

Hybrid booster

The female end of a weather-pack connector fits very snug on the PM pins. I'm thinking about soldering one with about 8 inches of wire pigtail on each PM terminal and then splicing in a more modern type connector down the line. I had wanted to solder wires straight to the board, but I didn't realized the whole board is rubberized. This is just what I came up with tinkering for a few minutes today, any feedback?
    Last edited by RattFink; 06-23-2014 at 05:38 PM.

boostaholic

I had a bag of the wire ends, years ago
    I had water leak on mine, found them in Newerk electronics

Hybrid booster

Alright, been digging through the internet for hours and found some similar style connectors. Does anybody know the size of the molex pins on the PM? Check out these links: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...2-1-ND/1153940 http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...592-ND/1090469 I'm thinking order 2 of each, file the tabs of one side of each so they stack flat, pin them with molex, and good to go?

Securing the terminals inside the connector is going to be the big problem. Not sure how they did it, but the terminals are effectively fused to the connector, they don't just fit up in there and secure themselves with a tab or anything. If I were of any value with circuitry, I'd look to rebuild the PM, definitely in a compact fashion and definitely with serviceable connectors. If you get anywhere with this, good luck to you and looking forward to seeing a viable finished product. We definitely need something.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]