Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a SMEC with the 0-1V output from a wideband?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Anyone using a SMEC with the 0-1V output from a wideband?

Quote Originally Posted by player1up View Post
    Huh?
    I know the AFR yellow line in MPTune is a visual representation of how it's manually configured for the cal in the "AFR Settings"
    The tune is configured to match the WB output and seems to be running fine, but I can't log actual AFR in MPScan. I suppose I should try o2v
    I've got no problem setting up logging with hyperterm from the AEM, but thought I could log with MPScan so I could have all of my tuning info in the same place at the same time

***UPDATED****
    Not sure what I did but AFR (afr) is working now, but it's off by 4-5 points and O2v shows correctly...meaning .9v matches the afr on the AEM gauge but AFR ( 206 ) in MPscan shows 15ish

The AFR settings in MPScan wont let me make any changes
    Sorry, I meant in the AFR display in MP Scan, not MP Tune.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Sorry, I meant in the AFR display in MP Scan, not MP Tune.
    Confused the crap out of me for a little bit... I got it working this evening but still have a question.
    The voltages listed in the instructions for the AEM don't match what the AFR ( 206 ) gauge says.

For example:
    AEM gauge displays 12.0
    o2v displays 1.0 v ( which matches what the instructions say should be 12 AFR )
    AFR in MPScan shows 16.0 ( I can change the way this displays via WidebandToAFRTransferFuncton but I have to input a voltage slope that doesn't match the instructions )

I don't want to "fix" the display only to freak out the ECU with bad data... Which value is it using to run the fuel calcs? the voltage or the AFR? I'd assume its the O2v

Quote Originally Posted by player1up View Post
    Confused the crap out of me for a little bit... I got it working this evening but still have a question.
    The voltages listed in the instructions for the AEM don't match what the AFR ( 206 ) gauge says.

For example:
    AEM gauge displays 12.0
    o2v displays 1.0 v ( which matches what the instructions say should be 12 AFR )
    AFR in MPScan shows 16.0 ( I can change the way this displays via WidebandToAFRTransferFuncton but I have to input a voltage slope that doesn't match the instructions )

I don't want to "fix" the display only to freak out the ECU with bad data... Which value is it using to run the fuel calcs? the voltage or the AFR? I'd assume its the O2v
    Now I'm confused.

You only need to change the display scale in MP Scan. The ECU doesn't know what's in there. MP Scan doesn't take it's scale from the .tpl file, it has it's own.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

player1up - i added an afr gauge to the mpscan files called "AFRwb" which uses the value read from the o2 sensor volts. so what you need to do is load mpscan, go to settings / layout files / update settings and select the "mprxref.csv" and "mprsettings.csv" files then click download. this will add the new gauge to the default gauges. next go into settings / layout files /gauge settings and scroll down to the line that starts with "AFR_o2v". you will need to change the ecu min/max to the corresponding values that represent the min/max of your wideband. i set the default to be 0 volts = 7.35 and 5 volts = 20.8. so if your sensor goes from 10 to 18 then change to those values. additionally, you can change the default min/max display values to a different range if you desire. click save when done. then go back into your gauge display, delete any existing afr gauge and add the new afr gauge called AFRwb. let me know the results.

***edit***
    when you add the gauge just select a regular analog, digital,etc gauge. do not use the built in AFR gauge. that's a whole different ballgame that has never been figured out. btw what values do 0 volts and 5 volts represent for your aem wideband? if your wideband min/max are 10/20 enter those values in the ecu min/max. i would also change my display min to 10 and display max to 20. that should then make the gauge work correctly, i.e. 1 volt would equal an afr of 12.
    Last edited by wowzer; 04-26-2015 at 12:48 AM.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Hybrid booster

Now I'm confused.

You only need to change the display scale in MP Scan. The ECU doesn't know what's in there. MP Scan doesn't take it's scale from the .tpl file, it has it's own.
    I was changing the WidebandToAFRTransferFunction values to see if I could get the gauge in MPScan to match....as you said, that's not how it works. It did change what the gauge was displaying in MPScan, but that's because the AFR was changing...for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    player1up - i added an afr gauge to the mpscan files called "AFRwb" which uses the value read from the o2 sensor volts. so what you need to do is load mpscan, go to settings / layout files / update settings and select the "mprxref.csv" and "mprsettings.csv" files then click download. this will add the new gauge to the default gauges. next go into settings / layout files /gauge settings and scroll down to the line that starts with "AFR_o2v". you will need to change the ecu min/max to the corresponding values that represent the min/max of your wideband. i set the default to be 0 volts = 7.35 and 5 volts = 20.8. so if your sensor goes from 10 to 18 then change to those values. additionally, you can change the default min/max display values to a different range if you desire. click save when done. then go back into your gauge display, delete any existing afr gauge and add the new afr gauge called AFRwb. let me know the results.

***edit***
    when you add the gauge just select a regular analog, digital,etc gauge. do not use the built in AFR gauge. that's a whole different ballgame that has never been figured out. btw what values do 0 volts and 5 volts represent for your aem wideband? if your wideband min/max are 10/20 enter those values in the ecu min/max. i would also change my display min to 10 and display max to 20. that should then make the gauge work correctly, i.e. 1 volt would equal an afr of 12.
    I did exactly what you explained, setup the gauge in MPScan to match ( ECU min and max, display min and max )
    Works like a charm!

Funny you mention updating the files...I had done that and I think that's how it was working. I changed the values for the gauge and it seems spot on. There does seem to be a little lag time between the gauge in MPScan and the AEM gauge but it's very minimal. Like .2-.4 off if the AFR is changing quickly.

You guys rock!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post

***edit***
    OK wowser and shelgame,

I have set my lc-1 to output 0v=7.35 afr and 5v=22.39 afr to the ecu

in mptune I have the wb2nb turned on, and the widebandtoafrtransferfunction set to 0v=7.35 and 5v=22.39

my VEI Gauges boost/wideband gauge is receiving the same input value range as the ecu and is set to 0v=7.4 and 5v=22.4 (close as it gets)

after doing the above, mpscan is showing almost exactly 1 AFR lower than the gauge. As in my gauge shows 14.6-15.2 at idle and the AFRwb gauge in mpscan shows 13.8-14.3

any ideas?

in mpscan you need to go into the settings/layout files/gauge settings, find the AFRwb gauge and set the ecu min to 7.35 and the ecu max to 22.39. then delete the gauge from your existing layout and re-add it so it has the correct settings.

Garrett booster

under gauge settings, I have AFR_o2v (not AFRwb) set to
    major int. 5
    minor int. 1
    display min 7
    display max 23
    ecu min 7.35
    ecu max 22.39

I did the order of operations correct where I saved those settings, deleted the gauge and re-added it in the layout, saved, then loaded the profile

what do the major and minor intervals effect?

AFRwb is the "short name". The major/minor intervals are just the tick mark intervals for the gauges. major of 5 means there is a tick mark every 5 units and obviously minor of 1 means a tick mark every 1 unit. hope that helps. let us know how that works.

***edit***
    you may want to reconsider the display intervals. since you really will never be a 7.35 or 22.39 it may make more sense to have the gauge display range be from 10 to 17 or something similar so the visual resolution is better. the logging will still be based off of the ecu range.

Garrett booster

I ran through everything again to double check and getting the same low reading.

under gauge settings the short name still shows AFR for the AFR_o2v after downloading the two new csv files, and I'm using the AFRwb gauge not the AFR gauge.

then you must still be using the wrong gauge.

in the gauge settings make sure you change the gauge that has a short name of AFRwb and save it. then in the display layout setup you should also pick the gauge with the AFRwb name. should show location (108).

Garrett booster

got it!

in gauge settings the AFRwb was somewhere else in the list, so I had to re-sort by name to get it up with the other A's.

got it all set up, will check it on monday and hopefully get some datalogging done!

Try setting the NBOFFS_NarrowBandOffsetValue slider all the way to the left (-2.5V). I think the math for this is maybe wrong. Though, that shouldn't have any effect on the WB value output by the ECU.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Try setting the NBOFFS_NarrowBandOffsetValue slider all the way to the left (-2.5V). I think the math for this is maybe wrong. Though, that shouldn't have any effect on the WB value output by the ECU.
    I'm playing with this right now trying to find the perfect value to keep my light cruise to 14.7. It was a little rich at -2.5v and lean above that. I need to start at -2.5v and increase by smaller increments I guess.

Wishing I would have bought the flashable ecu now. I can pull the battery, pull the comp and swap chips pretty fast but I never expected to have to do it so many times.

turbo addict

This is the cal I ran for over a year with the WB2NB code in it. Always ran between 14.6 and 15.0 when driving and had no drivability issues. If anyone wants to run it or compare it to theirs they can.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

So the AFRwb gauge in MPScan is all figured out and working perfectly.

The NEW issue that has popped up is the part throttle AFR's with the wb2nb.

the first time I ran a cal with the wb2nb active the offset was at the default -2.5v.
    it was rich. I dont recall exact what it was just rich.

next time I set the offset to 0v as per some post I saw from shelgame, and ran it on my commute yesterday
    in the chilly morning I didn't really notice much change, still a little rich.
    on the drive home when it was warmer I saw some peak afr's in the high 17s! at high vac low throttle cruise, and would stumble with any throttle tip in.

set the offset to -1.8v and went for another drive on the highway yesterday evening. still showing as high as mid 16s on high vac low throttle cruise.

I did not change the cal this morning, and on the way to work the afr's were staying in the low 11s under same driving conditions but lower ambient temps. they actually seemed to become richer as the car warmed up to operating temp from dead cold. warm idle in gear while stopped hangs at 12.2

on the way home today it was cooler than yesterday, getting 11.5-12.3 with the same 12.2 even stopped warm idle in gear.

Now the extra strange part. Ive been driving with this same cal running off the narrowband output with a wideband gauge for a while. I'm used to seeing the afr's hunt or bounce back and forth from 14.5-15 as the computer corrects to stay around 14.7.

with the wb2nb on it doesnt act like that at all, it's like the adaptives are off? It will have a dead steady afr reading under cruise and will only change with changes in vac and throttle.

I double checked that I didn't accidentally use a cal where I had tried to turn the adaptives off

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    This is the cal I ran for over a year with the WB2NB code in it. Always ran between 14.6 and 15.0 when driving and had no drivability issues. If anyone wants to run it or compare it to theirs they can.
    Still playing with getting the wb2nb working. I looked at your cal and other than the timing maps the big difference seemed to be the wb offset was set to 0.187v. I set the offset in my cal to that and had the exact same response as running an offset of -1.8v. Ran rich (11.5-12.5) in the morning, did some running around in town after work and back up to way lean (mid 16s) at light cruise with the stumble on throttle tip-in.

There is something strange with how the adaptives work with the wb2nb. the offset is making little to no difference for me. I switched back to narrowband simulation on the ecu output of the lc-1 and turned off wb2nb and its back to 14.7 all the time.

if you don't mind would you send me a log file with the wb2nb data so i can look at it. also the analog output settings for your lc-1. i want to confirm the gauge settings are correct.

Garrett booster

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...3M3VlVlclltams

Here's the only log file I made with the wb2nb on. Ignore the map gauge, I didn't have it set up for 3 bar yet so it reads off. LC-1 is set to 0v=7.35 and 5v=22.39

asking for access permission................

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast