Thread: Caravan Seat Replacement

Garrett booster

Caravan Seat Replacement

I have an 89 Turbo van with original seats that need to be redone. Does anyone know if seats from a Spirit or other car would fit? Or if anyone sells seat covers that will actually fit? I would rather put better seats in, but any advice would be much appreciated.

boostaholic

Re: Caravan Seat Replacement

I think Johnny put PT cruiser power seats in his van. Not sure what it takes to get them in.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

Subscribed, would like new seats for mine but I'd hate to lose the armrests
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Here are some shadow seats Strax22 and i modified for his old 89 turbo van (rip, but we swapped the good stuff into a 95..).

I think all that was needed was a sawzall and some big washers since the width of the rails does not line up perfectly.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Here are some shadseaeats Strax22 and i modified for his old 89 turbo van (rip, but we swapped the good stuff into a 95..).

I think all that was needed was a sawzall and some big washers since the width of the rails does not line up perfectly.

Man those look just like my spirit rt seats. I guess I will have to take one out and try. But I agree with shackwrrr armrests are a good thing.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

There are TONS of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen Minis in the yards. Pull your seat, take a few basic measurements and add them to a sketch, then hit the yards. Easy Peasy...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

From what I found out one day messing with stuff, apparently if you unbolt the seat bases from underneath the van you can put any generation seat (not sure about the 5th gen vans) in any generation van for at least the front two. First and second gen rear seats are interchangeable but you'll have to do something about the seat belts. 3rd and 4th gen rear seats need to stay in their respective van. Also, and this is going off of memory now, you should be able to unbolt the Caravan seats from your seat track assembly and bolt on K or E car seats to those tracks so if you found a split bench type of car like a 600 or New Yorker you could use those seats in there and still have an armrest.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    There are TONS of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen Minis in the yards. Pull your seat, take a few basic measurements and add them to a sketch, then hit the yards. Easy Peasy...
    Thanks man, I think that's my project Monday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    From what I found out one day messing with stuff, apparently if you unbolt the seat bases from underneath the van you can put any generation seat (not sure about the 5th gen vans) in any generation van for at least the front two. First and second gen rear seats are interchangeable but you'll have to do something about the seat belts. 3rd and 4th gen rear seats need to stay in their respective van. Also, and this is going off of memory now, you should be able to unbolt the Caravan seats from your seat track assembly and bolt on K or E car seats to those tracks so if you found a split bench type of car like a 600 or New Yorker you could use those seats in there and still have an armrest.
    Great information. HMMM bench seat? Would have been useful in highschool I'm going to see what the yard has waiting for me. I really appreciate the help.