Thread: Josh's Spirit RT Build

boostaholic

Josh's Spirit RT Build

I'm starting this thread to help Josh document his R/T build/resto.
    This was my old car about 14 years ago that I had originally bought from Matt in Middleburg, FL. It came up for sale recently from Bigboost in Jax,Fl. Josh had been wanting a Spirit to build, So what better car than my old car.
    It showed pretty well in the ad but I had not seen it in a long time. I drove to Jax to pick it up on the way to SC. While it was not even close to being as advertised, It was still a good platform to build on.
    The car is water damaged inside and in the trunk. All vacuum lines were removed and plugged. The turbo was running at 5 psi due to wastegate running off manifold pressure. Oil is being spit out of everywhere. Everything can be fixed but whoever did this to this car should never be working on cars. The coil pack is just dangling there, same for the air box. Its like they just lost all the bolts and threw all the parts under the hood. Where the heck are the 2 missing intake bolts? Its not like they are hard to get to, They are right in front! Not to mention, When we returned the boost to normal, Found that the clutch is also bad, lol. So much for honesty when you sell a car.
    Well that's over with, The car is bought.
    So with help from myself and Rob Mercer, The car is being built and Josh is now part of the TM family. He has a lot to learn...

And it arrives at its new home. It turns out Josh found out that when he registered the car that it is from SC originally.

WTF is this and where the heck are the rest of the vacuum lines?

I was told the car didn't leak and maybe got a few drips of water in it. Well sir, The sunroof even leaked with a car cover on it when it rained 2 days ago, BADLY. Looking at the floors and the trunk picture you can see the damage. The white stuff is mold. Looking at the bottom of the trunk lid you can see the condensation marks showing where water had been sitting in the car over time. Josh also found out his car cover is water resistant and not water proof, lol.

None the less, All will be fixed.

Does anyone have any grey A Pillar trim they want to sell?

boostaholic

Re: Josh's Spirit RT Build

Any recommendations for clutches? We ordered a Super 70 turbo from TU and the stainless lines. We are just going to start over with EVERYTHING else on the car to undo years of butchery and neglect.

boostaholic

Also, Do they still make the 2 gauge pod for the spirit so we can get rid of the ricer carbon fiber one?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by clocktowersniper View Post
    Also, Do they still make the 2 gauge pod for the spirit so we can get rid of the ricer carbon fiber one?
    Paint It?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Car is pretty straight and clean despite the obvious water leakage. A good thorough clean and detail will do wonders for it. He said after driving it around a bit it does have smoke coming from the tailpipe, so pretty sure the Super 70 will get put to use quickly First I need to find a T3 vacuum diagram and all that back right, find another bolt for the coil pack that's just kinda flopping around on 1 bolt, and do some other normal maintenance/checking out that always needs doing on these cars.

Having said that, it's already given me, Frank and Josh some entertainment, pissed off Josh's neighbors, and caused a ricer kid to come out and tell us how his Honda will smoke it...after he has a year to build it. Welcome to the TM world Josh!
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic

We could paint it but its probably not even a close fit to the stock pillar. Not only that, The ones that were made for the RT is almost a full pillar.
    These kids today. I keep telling them Hondas are only fast when racing other Hondas. I even had him convinced that Ezekiel Dodge designed the motor in the Nissan GTR, lol.

Mitsu booster

It's gonna be a fun build. Really excited for the super 70 and the new clutch. Rob, were gonna have a fun time with all the oil that has collected lol. Needs work but love the car already. Ready to learn a lot and shout out to frank for towing the car from
    florida all the way to columbia for me! FREE OF CHARGE!!

boostaholic

No dude, Its not free. I will think of something horrible for you to do And you will have to do it. Why? Because now you owe me and I can stop you from dating my daughter, Muhuhhauhauhahuahahaha.
    Now with that said, Enjoy the car!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hey, if you find the leak point, feel free to share. Both of my AA's leak into the trunk and so do a few of them I know in Canada. I have a feeling like is the seam seal on top of the C pillar. If first shows up as the sound deadening on the wheel on one side being soaked and moves down from there. That or somebody likes to leave the trunk open.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clocktowersniper View Post
    No dude, Its not free. I will think of something horrible for you to do And you will have to do it. Why? Because now you owe me and I can stop you from dating my daughter, Muhuhhauhauhahuahahaha.
    Now with that said, Enjoy the car!
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic

Brent, Typically those leaks come from a few things, Either the trunk drip trays full of leaves and gunk or the back glass. On this one I suspect the back glass although I have not checked it yet. The reason I say that, I had that back glass out 15 years ago and there could have been an issue. I could also be paranoid. 15 years ago the adhesive technology is totally different than now.

So the seats were pulled out and carpet pressure washed. We found out the car spent some time in the Chester, SC area when it was new and was originally from there..
    Not quite in order:

Found under the seat:

- - - Updated - - -

Waiting on parts.......
    New headlights
    Stage 4 clutch from TU
    Flywheel
    Super 70
    Stainless lines
    etc.....
    Waiting..........

boostaholic

Scored a headliner, sunvisors and A-Pillar trim at the Pull-A-Part in Charlotte, NC today. Its coming together. So after ohh at least 14 years it will get a headliner after all.