Thread: 3rd gen 2.4 turbo mini

Garrett booster

3rd gen 2.4 turbo mini

So I need a daily driver and have been toying with the idea of turboing a 3rd gen mini. I have seen lots of threads on here and other forums but have yet to find someone that has actually done one. Basically the main question I have is,what to use for a turbo manifold. I hear they are pretty tight back there. Iam just looking to put together a fun and cheap daily driver so I really dont want to get into fabing up a custom header. Anyone have any info ?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Re: 3rd gen 2.4 turbo mini

Might have to custom weld something to fit back there. If you want to do some test fitting, I've got an extra T2 Garrett you can borrow.

You might also look around for pictures of the setup on a Mexican 2nd gen turbo Stratus. That setup was pretty squashed back there and it worked ok. That might be a bolt-on solution if you can get one.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

boostaholic

Nothing to contribute other than to say BOOSTED V6! If your local lawas don't make that sort of thing more a pain than its worth.
    MinivanRider

Garrett booster

You know I haven't looked into the turbo v6 thing at all. I will ha e to check into that as well. It is kinda hard to find a clean van that is decent looking with a 2.4. It seems all the soccer moms got the v6 lol

Garrett booster

I have some v6 turbo questions so I think I will make another post in the turbo v6 section.
    Last edited by horsinaround; 06-15-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Hybrid booster

Garrett booster

I have seen that video. Pretty wild lol ! A mini really fits my needs best. First gens are non existent and I have only found 1 second gen and it was rotted to hell. Third gens are everywhere and cheap too. I just don't know if they are worth doing were they are so damn heavy and with the obd 2 to get around. It would definetly have to go standalone. I hate to grab a third gen and turbo it and have a stone lol. It wouldn't be cool then. 5500lbs is gonna need more than 400hp.
    Last edited by horsinaround; 06-19-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by horsinaround View Post
    I have seen that video. Pretty wild lol ! A mini really fits my needs best. First gens are non existent and I have only found 1 second gen and it was rotted to hell. Third gens are everywhere and cheap too. I just don't know if they are worth doing were they are so damn heavy and with the obd 2 to get around. It would definetly have to go standalone. I hate to grab a third gen and turbo it and have a stone lol. It wouldn't be cool then. 5500lbs is gonna need more than 400hp.
    I wonder if PT turbo or SRT-4 electronics would work. That might save you from having to go standalone with it. Hell, if the PT electronics work, even if you have to swap harnesses, you'd be able to run an automatic with it.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Garrett booster

It may. Iam open to several options right now. I forgot how hard it is to find a clean turbo dodge or mini van. A lot are rotted to hell now. I need to find a body that doesn't cost a fortune so I can start a budget and quick 2.4 or 3.0 swap. We will see what I find weather a car or van.