Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 Shelby Lancer #628

Hybrid booster

Re: 1987 Shelby Lancer #628

Nice looking car!

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Nice car, Jon. Sounds like you're having a good time out there and have a safe & uneventful the trip home.

FWIW, the tall final drive, .91 gears and tighter TBI lockup converter in 3rd gave roughly the same RPM as 5th gear in the 555 when I swapped the auto into my Omni. The auto also made it feel a bit gutless on the highway as 2nd gear topped out about 70.
    Thanks Ray! Yeah if it can pull the RPMs down at all at highway speeds, I'll be happy. At 65 it was roughly 3200 RPM, so I may have been a little inaccurate. But I'm pretty sure over 75 it's creeping up to 3800 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRT View Post
    Good to hear and what I have seen on the gauge. The scaling is a guess at best, so its good to know where 212 is and 199 wouldn't hurt either. I have also disconnected the fan and run to 230 to see where that is on the scale.

Any word on the seats?
    I'll shoot you a PM. Yeah it's good to know where the fan will kick on while driving out here, I'm sure. I don't think the fan came on while on the interstate, but it was on the verge if it ever was. Like I said, I'll probably see stable temps or less once I get home or closer to home. I don't hardly ever see 100+ temps, 95 is the norm for the dead of summer. I saw 90 at 8am today. :|
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Have a safe trip home.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I saw 90 at 8am today. :|
    Welcome to the southwest! And, generally speaking, the farther east you go from Arizona, the worse it 'feels'.

I only found out about this deal because of FB but im finally catching up with this thread. Looks like a pretty kickass time made possible by some kickass people.

Oh and a cool car too! I had an auto SL that i converted to 5spd and then traded off. I still have an 88 LS which is also auto but it will either be converted to lockup (now that AJ posted up a definitive parts list) and tall gears or go 5spd as well (if anyone seeing this has a 5spd h-body shifter trim, PM me). I cant remember ever driving a turbo k-car with a stock automatic that i actually liked. My aries originalyl had a 2.78fd lockup auto in it which was pretty good. I've never had turbo AND a good auto at the same time.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Wow, long time since I updated.

Car made it back fine, AC blew cold for most of the way back only a little through the passes in the mountains where I had to turn it off. Drove through to Amarillo and stayed the night and then drove home the next day, about 700 miles each leg. Car really didn't see much attention until today, had to get the GLHS ready for SDAC. So today decided to do some work since the radio had quit working (spilled a container of water in the floorboard and I think shorted the tuner). Pulled the tuner apart and cleaned it the best I could with a nylon brush. Didn't look that great, but since I don't have a spare I just put it back together. Also ran the wires through the center console instead of NEXT to the center console, cleaned up the wiring to the radio. Got it working again (yay!), so I put it all back together and then it didn't work! Must be a loose connection or something, not sure. I DID notice that the system had an input/output (not sure) that has 4 3.5mm jacks, two to the radio and two not in use. So that is making me think I can somehow wire my phone to the radio, which would be AWESOME. Just need to figure out how it is used, if at all.

Also got some 3M double-sided tape and took care of the dash plaque. Should hold, hopefully. The car is in good shape, but I keep finding little things that need attention, so like the GLHS, going to start a list and try to knock it out as soon as I can.

• Paint - ok shape, but definitely needs to be redone
    • Align the headlights better
    • Install headlight covers - Got them from GTS, but they need some attention to fit properly
    • Window trim for the windshield needs to be replaced
    • Trim for rear window needs to be replaced/fixed
    • Shelby windshield decal needs to be replaced
    • Clean stains in the carpet - overall it's clean but definitely needs attention
    • Plug up door lock switch on driver's door
    • Replace under steering column piece (two of four tabs broken)
    • Re-upholster headliner and traveler and visors
    • Tint the windows
    • Replace driver's side ground effect
    • Fix center console catch (broken)
    • Get center cap (spoke to Dave about this)
    • Replace rear hatch trim pieces (wrong color and mounts are broken
    • Replace various exterior window trim (where available)
    • Re-wrap wiring harness
    • Fix charge temp sensor wiring
    • Replace motor mounts
    • Replace oil pan seal
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Posted this on Facebook. The car only came with the ignition key, which doesn't work for the hatch. So I took the glove box key for the GLHS, changed the tumblers on the lock and put it back together. Works as intended!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140630_144645.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	492.4 KB 
ID:	50821

A few notes. The windshield decal is not available. The extra jacks are for a trunk mount cd loader. All interior parts are the same as Lebaron GTS. If it was running hot climbing the mountains the radiator needs routing. I have had mine at 6000+ feet in Colorado with no problem. If you still have driver's side ground effect, a good body shop can repair it to original. Center cap would be good project for 3D printer.

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    A few notes. The windshield decal is not available. The extra jacks are for a trunk mount cd loader. All interior parts are the same as Lebaron GTS. If it was running hot climbing the mountains the radiator needs routing. I have had mine at 6000+ feet in Colorado with no problem. If you still have driver's side ground effect, a good body shop can repair it to original. Center cap would be good project for 3D printer.
    Yeah I know a lot of the graphics are not. I have the font and will have a local place make whatever I need, unless someone who does it on this board does it or has the originals. That is good to know about the CD player. I wonder if there is a way to make use of that input? I tried hitting the function button after plugging the jacks into the phone separately and then with a reverse splitter (takes two 3.5mm inputs and goes to 1 3.5mm). Didn't work, but I can only imagine that it can somehow, just need to figure it out!

The car ran hot in 100 degree weather with the AC on UP the mountain, which I didn't think was out of the norm. I wasn't taking it easy and tried to run the AC as much as possible. Once I got to the summit, it was fine. It was only for a few minutes that I had to run with the AC off. When I was out there, AJ sent the radiator to a shop that cleaned it out, had like 25% blockage and all at the bottom. Car definitely ran cooler after it was cleaned. I must have left some stuff out or posted on Facebook or something.

After I acquired the car.....

Driving the car to Phoenix, it was fine for a bit and then it started to get hot. AC did not work when I got it, nor was it capable of working, which is not what the guy alluded to. Regardless, I pulled over to get some water for me and the car. As I was driving through the mountains and on flat ground, it started to run 2 bars from the first H warning indicator, then past that one. So in normal TM form for my cars, I turned the heat on....in 100 degree weather. yay for me...... :| Once I got to Phoenix, I contacted AJ and went by his shop on Monday night. We did some tinkering, checked the radiator just from a quick glance and with a borescope or whatever it is and saw some build up on the ends of the core. Pulled it, AJ let me borrow another H body radiator that he had at his place (thanks AJ!) and he sent mine off to get it cleaned out. Left my car there on Tuesday to get the AC squared away and picked it up on Wednesday night. The car doesn't like the hot climate, but AC blew cold and the temps hovered around the 210-220 area the rest of the visit until I left. As it is now, I can drive the car in Memphis all day and it will not even come close to the middle and it blows anywhere from 50-60 degrees, which is better than ambient and good enough for me. AJ recommended a more efficient setup, but it was going to require more changes that I wanted to pay for or allow to keep the car as close to stock as I could.

The ground effect I will definitely keep and either repair it myself or get someone to do it, but I am definitely looking for an 87. I saw the ones for the 88 and 89's and they look to be just a piece that tacks onto the side, not like the 87s. The center cap, Dave mentioned he had one that was good, so going to get that one. I agree, that would be a cool 3D printer job. I have a friend or two that has one, may see if they will try and make one with one of the better ones I have.

Somebody in Jacksonville Fl has all the other decals for the SL.
    Last time I turned the heat on in the summer was Death Valley on a cool day in a new 72 Pinto!

http://www.unleashedbyshelby.com/
    Last edited by looneytuner; 07-02-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Somebody in Jacksonville Fl has all the other decals for the SL.
    Last time I turned the heat on in the summer was Death Valley on a cool day in a new 72 Pinto!

http://www.unleashedbyshelby.com/
    Thanks for the link. I heard he wasn't making them anymore, but if he is, that's a great price for the sets not to mention the front glass sticker. I'll follow up and see.

lol man I can only imagine. I think the car would have been fine had the radiator been cleaned out prior to the desert trip. Don't plan on finding out any time soon.

Here are some pics of the headlight covers. Hard to see the real difference, but when placed against the headlight bezel the one I modified fits way better than right out of the box. I'm going to contact GTS to see if they have the clips on the side that possibly are angled if they even make them that way. With the contour of the cover, there is no way a 90 degree mount will work. You can see on the last couple of pics, the lower part of the lens which is on the right of the pic. The contour has been corrected, now I have to get the rubber strip that is on the edge pulled off so I can shave a little off the inner portion. The second pic you can see (maybe) that as the cut is made to go to where the mounting bracket will hold, there wasn't enough taken off from there to the corners, mainly on the bottom 9(right side of pic). Going to try and pull that rubber strip off with some acetone or something as not to tear it. I don't want to have to replace the entire strip, but if that is the only way to do it, so be it. At that point I would almost want to make the set on my own.

Name:	20140702_124600.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	494.4 KB 
ID:	50824 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140702_124623.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	474.1 KB 
ID:	50825 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140702_124656.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	520.3 KB 
ID:	50826

Name:	20140702_124659.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	519.0 KB 
ID:	50827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140702_124701.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	518.3 KB 
ID:	50828

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice car, good story. Nice of Alan to help you like that. Enjoy the car!

Acetone will eat the plastic. AND the Pinto was brand new@~~@!

Acetone will eat the plastic. AND the Pinto was brand new@~~@!
    haha, well I was planning to be very careful, only a drop at edge of the rubber strip. I don't need to go throwing away $60. A new Pinto! I think my mom had one of those when I was a kid.

turbo addict

A few notes. The windshield decal is not available.

Not according to your link you posted. Cut and pasted from his site

"The matching 1987 Shelby Lancer windshield decal sold separately
    for only 49.00 (or 39.00 if purchased with a stripe set)."

You got me. I posted before I checked.

Hybrid booster

Great find, didn't think there were any left in SoCal. Went to Iowa to get mine. Alan was talking about finding a SL for someone, but didn't say who. Good story and comments, especially the link to get decals for the car.

Officially indoctrinated the Shelby Lancer into the family.

Name:	20140703_213238.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	487.6 KB 
ID:	50839

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

Last time I checked with Dave (Positive Impressions) he was out of the windshield decal and wasn't planning on making more. Perhaps he changed his mind and has some now. If not, Shelby Motor Sports informed me that the window decal is the same as for the Red Dakotas. Phoenix Graphics offers decals (including the one for the windshield) for Shelby Dakotas.
    http://phoenixgraphix.com/p-d/1989dst.php
    I too wondered about the unused jacks on the DEX, but figuring out if an iPod jack can be added is beyond my (very) limited expertise. I am really hoping you can figure it out and share with the rest of us.

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    Last time I checked with Dave (Positive Impressions) he was out of the windshield decal and wasn't planning on making more. Perhaps he changed his mind and has some now. If not, Shelby Motor Sports informed me that the window decal is the same as for the Red Dakotas. Phoenix Graphics offers decals (including the one for the windshield) for Shelby Dakotas.
    http://phoenixgraphix.com/p-d/1989dst.php
    I too wondered about the unused jacks on the DEX, but figuring out if an iPod jack can be added is beyond my (very) limited expertise. I am really hoping you can figure it out and share with the rest of us.
    Wow thanks Stephen. That's cheaper than the Positive Impressions one, even without the kit! I may get that so I can take the ratty one off the car.

Got the window regulator tape swapped out for the rear passenger window. Broke the other day, thankfully it was really nice this weekend with no rain in sight. I did however, break the bezel that goes over the door handle, as I had no idea how it came off. Found out the hard way. But overall, had a good time driving down some country roads with the windows down.

Got some parts coming from to either replace some stuff I have already that need replacement or get some new ones that are missing, namely the rear tray for the back hatch area and a center cap.

Still need to get the radio working, but that is low priority on the list. I would probably spend time working on it if I knew how to make use of the two 3.5mm jacks and get it working properly. I may tinker with it when I have a free weekend. I'll be heading to Carlisle this coming weekend and won't be back until Sunday, so doing anything before then is out, just too much to do.

Updating a few things.

• Paint - ok shape, but definitely needs to be redone
    • Align the headlights better
    • Install headlight covers - Got them from GTS, but they need some attention to fit properly - Got some spare headlight bezels that I plan to use to make my headlight cover brackets
    • Window trim for the windshield needs to be replaced
    • Trim for rear window needs to be replaced/fixed
    • Shelby windshield decal needs to be replaced
    • Clean stains in the carpet - overall it's clean but definitely needs attention
    • Plug up door lock switch on driver's door
    • Replace broken rear passenger door handle bezel
    • Replace under steering column piece (two of four tabs broken)
    • Re-upholster headliner and traveler and visors
    • Tint the windows
    • Replace driver's side ground effect
    • Fix center console catch (broken)
    • Get center cap (spoke to Dave about this) - Dave delivered! Have a spare center medallion that I'm going to look to get refurbished.
    • Find rear travel tray - Dave delivered this one too! Needs to be recovered though, going to find some replacement carpet
    • Replace rear hatch trim pieces (wrong color and mounts are broken)
    • Replace various exterior window trim (where available)
    • Re-wrap wiring harness
    • Fix charge temp sensor wiring
    • Replace motor mounts
    • Replace oil pan seal

Going to work on the headlight covers tomorrow. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do, but the idea will be to make my own to conform to the natural curve of the covers and bezel as well as make them somewhat easily removable. Dave gave me all the things I asked for, including a door handle bezel, two center caps, a rear travel tray WITH the strings, two spare headlight bezels and some various screws and screw covers, just so I can have some extras in case I lose something. Really appreciate him pulling these parts and bringing them to Carlisle. Going to see about getting the car titled this week or start the process. Wish me luck, will be working with the state to prove it's a Shelby and get the year changed to 1987 instead of 1988 which is on the current title.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast