Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 Shelby Lancer #628

1987 Shelby Lancer #628

This may take a few individual posts to go through all the stuff that has transpired in the last month or so. I'll try to be brief up to this last weekend.

Let me first give a huge thanks to Alan Jones (Docta JONES!) for working the details out for me. Called Alan one day to see if he would be able to go take a look at the car. Alan agreed, I cleared it with the seller and he went to take a look at it. Got some good news and bad news when Alan called. The good was that the car was really nice inside and out. The bad, the title held up because it hadn't been registered in a while. Alan worked things out with the guy and got the title and two days later drove the car home. Well almost home.

On the way back, the car sputtered and basically had to be taken to his shop. After he got to looking at it, the fuel pump was shot. Tank had some stuff in it and really just needed a good cleansing. The window regulator was also bad, timing belt was tight, needed an adjustment on the belts, cleaning inside and the timing was set. After that, car ran so much better (per Alan) and he then took it over to his place. I have to say, the car is extremely photogenic, but Alan spent some time cleaning it up and clay barred the car and it looked even better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment-3.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	491.1 KB 
ID:	50482 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	483.9 KB 
ID:	50481

So fast forward to this last Friday when I got in. Flew in around 9:00, saw this while I was waiting.

Name:	DSC_0143.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	50483

Waited a little longer and saw this.

Name:	DSC_0144.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	50484

Eventually Alan came and we headed back where I got to see the car for the first time in person. Just giving Alan a hard time, btw.

So after we got there, I got to give the car a good looking over and I am very pleased with it. Alan was very upfront that the paint was not nearly as good as it looked in the photos and he was right, but it still looks great considering. The real deal about the car is the low mileage (relatively) and completeness of the car. The fog lights are there, in tact and work. The DEX radio works great, but the CD player won't take the disc, plan to give that a going over when I get home. The engine bay is very clean, only needs a little attention on the harness wrap. The valve cover and intake need to be repainted, but paint will come later for the entire car. One of the center caps on the rear is missing. I don't know if it was there and came off on the way here or was never there. I'll find a replacement for it. I also found out that the driver's side ground effect is broken in the back and there is some damage to the rear jack mount, namely that it isn't there.

The rest of the weekend we just hung out, went to the cars and coffee in the morning and had time to hit TWO yards the rest of the day. We left the first one and I thought it was 5pm, turned out to be 12:30! Didn't find anything really valuable, but we got to hand out and drive around LA. Later that night we went out to dinner, then to a lounge of sorts, saw more high end cars and then headed home for the night. This is all I have from the weekend, but needless to say it was great to hang out in Alan and his friends.

Below are some pics. Notice the orange Calloway Corvette. Calloway was about 10 feet from the car, kinda neat. Actually in the shot of the side of the car, you can see him in the grey pull over and sandals, I think.

Name:	20140607_081431.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	575.0 KB 
ID:	50493 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140607_081423.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	564.2 KB 
ID:	50492 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140607_080627.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	493.0 KB 
ID:	50491 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140607_074532.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	517.8 KB 
ID:	50490 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140607_074508.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	544.6 KB 
ID:	50489

Name:	20140607_073232.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	586.1 KB 
ID:	50488 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140607_072154.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	534.2 KB 
ID:	50487 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140607_071752.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	579.8 KB 
ID:	50486 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140607_065036.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	536.0 KB 
ID:	50485 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140607_083004.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	590.6 KB 
ID:	50494

Later this was the view. Granted, this is the only shot from the evening but it was beautiful being on the water close to sunset. That's Alan's head blocking the view.

Name:	20140607_182056.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	532.6 KB 
ID:	50495

The rest of the car though is great. The seats are great, the carpet is great the body is very straight. Doors close great, all the windows go up and down fine, power seat works, all the dash gauges light up and work correctly. More pics to come later, just been too busy to document things with work and doing some repairs on it. Speaking of which, I also want to thank AJ for being flexible to work on the car. The other day we were able to pull the radiator to get it flushed and he amazingly had a spare so we were able to get the car rolling until the other is ready. We also flushed as much crud out of the cooling system as we could, well he could. AJ is also helping me get the AC working, he'll be doing that tomorrow. He is being paid for his time because it is valuable and I really appreciate his effort he's put through so far. More to come!!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 1987 Shelby Lancer #628

First in. Congrats on the new ride Jon.

turbo addict

Plans for this one?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

And sweet ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    First in. Congrats on the new ride Jon.
    Yes, thanks man. It isn't going to be as fun going back alone, but had to this trip. I couldn't even bring Jodi out.

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    Plans for this one?
    Thanks man and plans are to keep this one stock....for the most part. I may do a swingvalve upgrade and larger exhaust back, but other than maintenance I plan to keep this one as is and keep it clean. It will need paint and a couple dents knocked out, new decals, etc., but it really has been kept up. The wheels have some minor scratches on the lip, but nothing serious that can't be cleaned up. I'll get pics up soon, just haven't had time and I want to really clean the wheels and do a good hand buffing on the paint to really clean it up. The interior looks really good, Alan used some leather conditioner to loosen them up and they look really good.

But I have headlight covers for it that will go on once I trim them to fit better and the windows will be tinted. Everything on the car is in too original shape to mess with. I'm seriously contemplating driving it to SDAC if I don't have time to get the stuff done on the GLHS. If that ends up being the case, I plan to get it looking as best I can and enjoying the AC, that is now working thanks to AJ!

Speaking of which, with the radiator flushed and the AC running, blows in the 60's and the engine temps keep the gauge about in the middle. Keep in mind, this car was running almost to the first warning indicator in the daytime with no AC. I had to run the heat from LA to Phoenix. Thankfully I will be able to drive home comfortably. But the other day I got the headlights fixed, the cigarette lighter working, AJ got the rear hatch open (turns out there is lever in the event you lock yourself in, just can't see it), we also fixed the lever release by the driver's door and installed the rubber seal that covers the wiring harness.

Need to get the glass cleaned up and some hatch shocks and probably a thorough cleaning on the inside. Car sat for so long, it's just got that film of dirt that will take a good cleaning to remove and make it look all nice and shiny again.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

That is going to be an awesome cruiser for sure. You'll need to get some .91 transfer gears for awesome gas mileage.

That is going to be an awesome cruiser for sure. You'll need to get some .91 transfer gears for awesome gas mileage.
    Man for sure. 75 mph translated to roughly 3800 RPM. I may have to drive below 70 just to get 240 miles to the tank. Seriously this trans is horrible for this car. I'm sure it can take a lickin' and keep on tickin', but good grief. Between the lack of an overdrive and a micro radiator, I just don't know what they were thinking.

If you really want we could install a trans with a lockup converter and the .91 transfer gears. That'll get you down to reality RPM wise on the freeway. Granted it weighs less, but the Neon I have gets a solid 38mpgs freeway with the auto that's in it with the .91 gears.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Nice car Jon. I'm going to be parting out Lancer#728 in a few weeks if you need any parts for it. I have a lockup trans from an 87 Lebaron GTS tbi, was supposedly rebuilt recently, yours if you want to pick it up at SDAC.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

If you really want we could install a trans with a lockup converter and the .91 transfer gears. That'll get you down to reality RPM wise on the freeway. Granted it weighs less, but the Neon I have gets a solid 38mpgs freeway with the auto that's in it with the .91 gears.
    I just may go that route. Seems someone around here has one. -----v v------

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Nice car Jon. I'm going to be parting out Lancer#728 in a few weeks if you need any parts for it. I have a lockup trans from an 87 Lebaron GTS tbi, was supposedly rebuilt recently, yours if you want to pick it up at SDAC.
    Dave, let's talk at SDAC, but I think this will work. Definitely need something different than this one.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Til now I never noticed how awesome the back of my head is

Glad #648 found a great home, having an extra car at the house for a month was really unpopular with the neighbor ladies on both sides. The 8hours a day gardner lady said I was "over on her side" I literally had to roll back 5" to get behind the brass marker inset into the curb Then the Chicken licker on the other side said to me, "you know, cars have to be moved every 36hours in this neighborhood" She only has her Prius (of course) and never parks on the street anyway. All the drama aside, Seeing the progress and your enthusiasm makes the effort worth it tho Although my dog is still afraid of you Jon, I guess he has never been touched down there before...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Til now I never noticed how awesome the back of my head is

Glad #648 found a great home, having an extra car at the house for a month was really unpopular with the neighbor ladies on both sides. The 8hours a day gardner lady said I was "over on her side" I literally had to roll back 5" to get behind the brass marker inset into the curb Then the Chicken licker on the other side said to me, "you know, cars have to be moved every 36hours in this neighborhood" She only has her Prius (of course) and never parks on the street anyway. All the drama aside, Seeing the progress and your enthusiasm makes the effort worth it tho Although my dog is still afraid of you Jon, I guess he has never been touched down there before...
    Your head isn't that glamorous. And it's SIX TWENTY EIGHT. Quit trying to amalgamate your old Lancer with my new Lancer. Yes, very thankful and appreciative of you putting up with the crazy plant lady, didn't know about the Prius chick. And your dog is afraid of the wind, so a strapping lad like myself would definitely make the pup skiddish.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Taller gears and a slightly bigger turbo will give you some MPG... of course, while you're at it...
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Taller gears and a slightly bigger turbo will give you some MPG... of course, while you're at it...
    haha Well the trans is a necessity. Turbo if it's VERY convenient, i.e., smokin' deal and I'm doing the exhaust at the same time. But only stock bolt on stuff like a stock TII turbo and stock configuration on the swingvalve, but that would definitely be down the road. The trans needs to happens sooner than later if I intend to drive it regularly, which I do. I mean, driving in 90* temps today with the AC on, it never got too far above the last cold indicator because the RPMs were 2200? The car will be fine once I get to my climate, but here I would need the trans for sure and a more efficient condenser. But driving it on the highway at 70 it sits roughly around 3500 or more. I may be cruising back at 65 mph just to keep the fuel efficiency down.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Put an actual temperature gauge on it too. lol
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Didn't you and AJ run the scan tool to see what the actual temps vs indicated were?

- - - Updated - - -

If you didn't and he's busy, swing by and we can put the OTC or DRB on it.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRT View Post
    Didn't you and AJ run the scan tool to see what the actual temps vs indicated were?

- - - Updated - - -

If you didn't and he's busy, swing by and we can put the OTC or DRB on it.
    I gotta swing by there, so I may do that if he'll let me do it while he works on his trans. He will probably make me stand behind the line though and watch from the waiting room.

Oh and the temps were way lower, via the gauge as compared to what they were before the radiator flush and AC working. I will get the actual temps, but I do know it's showing to run cooler, just don't know the exact. City driving is fine and it runs cool, but I suspect the highway is going to be higher, but the AC will cool down quicker.

New hatch struts installed and AJ put the scan tool on it. Temp at 212 is about one needle width to the right of where it is in the pic. I took the picture while driving, but noted it at the shop. While I don't know the scaling of the gauge, it seems about right in my mind. As a note, the car ran "normal" with the AC on around town in 100+ temps again between the 3rd and 4th marks and was at the temp indicated on the gauge (~205-210) with the AC on at 65 mph steadily on mostly flat terrain.

Name:	20140612_192507.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	473.8 KB 
ID:	50508

Leaving tomorrow, we'll see how things go on the road! I feel if it can make it from LA to Phoenix running really hot through the desert that it will do fine going to a somewhat cooler climate.

turbo addict

Nice car, Jon. Sounds like you're having a good time out there and have a safe & uneventful the trip home.

FWIW, the tall final drive, .91 gears and tighter TBI lockup converter in 3rd gave roughly the same RPM as 5th gear in the 555 when I swapped the auto into my Omni. The auto also made it feel a bit gutless on the highway as 2nd gear topped out about 70.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Good to hear and what I have seen on the gauge. The scaling is a guess at best, so its good to know where 212 is and 199 wouldn't hurt either. I have also disconnected the fan and run to 230 to see where that is on the scale.

Any word on the seats?

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast