Thread: is 1989 CSX 051 still around ?

Hybrid booster

is 1989 CSX 051 still around ?

noticed it was listed as RIP, this is the one that was on Chassing Classic Cars and on ebay here http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Shelby-...p2047675.l2557
    anyone know what happened to it ? i don't think it was parted

Garrett booster

Re: is 1989 CSX 051 still around ?

The car listed on the ebay link below is # 52 ,according to the VIN posted.
    Car #52 was just a ordinary csx shipped to a dealer in New Britian, CT .

Car 51,was crushed many years ago from a bad pass side telephone pole accident.
    The impact bent the roof,door,fender,floor,and the hatch would not close....LOL
    I purchased the low mile car from a insurance auction for just the parts,and put the engine in one of my other csx's .
    Car 51 was a Shelby test vehicle mainly for the press,and you can sure tell by the way the motor performed.
    Most all the press cars received the wide tire racks and recaros,even though the not listed on the vin sheets.
    They were just added at a later time,when they were being picking out for the press.
    Car 53,another press car lists standard 195 tire on the vin sheets,but the car has the special 225 rack ....and is also shown in the Motor Trend Special Shoot-out article with the 225 tire.
    Last edited by Joe Anderson; 06-10-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Hybrid booster

ah ok ,wonder what happened to number 52 then, maybe the sites just a little mixed up http://shelby-dodge.com/gallery6-89csx1.htm

Garrett booster

Someone probally looked up the vin number wrong,because the dash plaque could be missing?
    I should send them some feedback on the mix-up

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Anderson View Post
    The car listed on the ebay link below is # 52 ,according to the VIN posted.
    Car #52 was just a ordinary csx shipped to a dealer in New Britian, CT .
    Joe - the list I have shows #52 as a recaro car?

I also see that the first batch of 89's were all shipped to Pappa's Shelby in New Britain, CT on 05/11/89. With 5/22/89 being the next shipment dates to the normal Fitzgerald and other top spot shelby dealerships. I think I remember Kenny Pappa telling me that they were the top Shelby dealership and that he got dibs on the first batch of 89's.

Regardless, they were before their time I guess. I remember driving by the lot when I commuted to college (CCSU - about a half a mile from the old Pappa's Shelby dealership building) and seeing 89 CSX's lined up as late as 91! I think he had 2 or 3 that he gave up on selling and kept unsold in his warehouse for quite some years.

Jon

Hybrid booster

i have all the pictures from the ebay listing saved, no recaros just standard seats, and the dash plaque is #52

Garrett booster

Some of the cars on the Vin List showed Recaro's ,but some ended up getting the standard seats instead.

I know of least three around here that have the standard seats installed,but the owner paid for the Recaro option. Talked to one guy about it the other day,said he didn't know what the Recaro looked like when he bought it new.

Car #53 lists the standard tire rack on the vin list, but Shelby added the wide tire rack later for the press ( and its still sitting there ) .

I think the vin lists were printed early,but to help the cars sell better..... things were switched around a bit later.

So overall there was some errors on Radio's , Tires , Racks , Seats , Rear Wing Drain Holes , Oil Caps , Vacume Booster Check Valve's ,and Placement of Engine Bay Option Tags .

Hybrid booster

I know of least three around here that have the standard seats installed,but the owner paid for the Recaro option.
    Now that right there is funny! The buyer paid for the recaro option and since the standard seats are plastered with the shelby logo, they thought they got the recaros? Classic!

Jon

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

So overall there was some errors on Radio's , Tires , Racks , Seats , Rear Wing Drain Holes , Oil Caps , Vacume Booster Check Valve's ,and Placement of Engine Bay Option Tags .
    Joe, Can you expand on those topics?

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRT View Post
    Joe, Can you expand on those topics?
    +1 I'm very interested to hear about this.

Hybrid booster

fo' schnizzle! Spill them beans....rear wing drain holes?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    Joe - the list I have shows #52 as a recaro car?

I also see that the first batch of 89's were all shipped to Pappa's Shelby in New Britain, CT on 05/11/89. With 5/22/89 being the next shipment dates to the normal Fitzgerald and other top spot shelby dealerships. I think I remember Kenny Pappa telling me that they were the top Shelby dealership and that he got dibs on the first batch of 89's.

Regardless, they were before their time I guess. I remember driving by the lot when I commuted to college (CCSU - about a half a mile from the old Pappa's Shelby dealership building) and seeing 89 CSX's lined up as late as 91! I think he had 2 or 3 that he gave up on selling and kept unsold in his warehouse for quite some years.

Jon
    In Late '88 I had heard about Tim P and had talked to him on the phone (he was the "performance parts manager for Shelby Auto's) and since the Putnam Street addy in Whittier was only 25 or so miles from my Mom's house where I was living, I went up there to meet him and grab lunch. I have a vivid memory of the 89's being loaded onto the car transportes and the driver(s) were just hammering on them. I remember thinking that the reddish brown smoke coming out the tailpipe was an odd color...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Mitsu booster

Hi All. I can vouch that many '89 CSX-VNT's sat unsold for many, many months. I bought my car (#138) in the summer of 1990. Incredibly, Cumberland Valley Motors, in Mechanisburg, Pa., recieved ALL SIX of their alloted '89 CSX's with the 50 series tire and Recaro seat option! That means out of the 15 built, they got almost a third of them ever made!

I got to pick out of at least five of them they had in stock. Of course, to make their lives difficult, I wanted the one on the showroom floor. It had the lowest miles, the least scratches from winter snow removal and acid rain, and.....on the rear quarter window was a white sticker which they put on: "Please close door gently." Obviously they didn't like door slammers so close to their sales cubicles!

The sticker remains on the car. The car has 773 miles on it. Never altered. Proud to be an original Shelby Dodge owner.

By the way, I kept an interesting ad from a dealer in New York at the time who had almost a dozen '89 CSX's in stock. They were blowing them out the door at thousands off window sticker. I think they were $13,500 or close to that. The ad said "factory liquidation sale." It also said "first come, first serve basis." My dealer (CVM) also discounted the car heavily. Great times if you loved four cylinder turbo power............

Gerry

Owner of a few cars

The entire shebang reminded me of how Shelby's former cars were slow to move off the lots.

The one that was on eBay was parted out via a user on Facebook.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Hi All. I can vouch that many '89 CSX-VNT's sat unsold for many, many months. I bought my car (#138) in the summer of 1990. Incredibly, Cumberland Valley Motors, in Mechanisburg, Pa., recieved ALL SIX of their alloted '89 CSX's with the 50 series tire and Recaro seat option! That means out of the 15 built, they got almost a third of them ever made!

I got to pick out of at least five of them they had in stock. Of course, to make their lives difficult, I wanted the one on the showroom floor. It had the lowest miles, the least scratches from winter snow removal and acid rain, and.....on the rear quarter window was a white sticker which they put on: "Please close door gently." Obviously they didn't like door slammers so close to their sales cubicles!

The sticker remains on the car. The car has 773 miles on it. Never altered. Proud to be an original Shelby Dodge owner.

By the way, I kept an interesting ad from a dealer in New York at the time who had almost a dozen '89 CSX's in stock. They were blowing them out the door at thousands off window sticker. I think they were $13,500 or close to that. The ad said "factory liquidation sale." It also said "first come, first serve basis." My dealer (CVM) also discounted the car heavily. Great times if you loved four cylinder turbo power............

Gerry

Owner of a few cars

The entire shebang reminded me of how Shelby's former cars were slow to move off the lots.
    Interesting story. Sitting here today it is hard to believe that they sat around that long.

I am curious, did you buy it as an investment? If so, if they were that tough to move off lots at the start, what made you think it would be collectable?

Must be nice to have one that new today.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    noticed it was listed as RIP, this is the one that was on Chassing Classic Cars and on ebay here http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Shelby-...p2047675.l2557
    anyone know what happened to it ? i don't think it was parted
    I could be wrong, but the car that was on CCC was in Georgia. At least that's where it was on the show. I actually wrote Wayne about it letting him know exactly what he passed on. I'm sure he couldn't care less as the whole car is worth less than 1 wheel on some of the cars he deals with, but still..

Garrett booster

the car was in CT. in a barn

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    The one that was on eBay was parted out via a user on Facebook.
    thats too bad, at the rate there getting parted recently, there will be none left by the time i'm ready to buy another