Thread: 1987 shelby z beater

Mitsu booster

1987 shelby z beater

Thought I would start a project log for my Daytona. Hopefully this will help keep me motivated and let me track my progress. About 10 years ago I had a 1986 lancer es and then a 1989 turbo van. Got away from turbo dodges for a while but I missed my lancer so I started looking on and off for another one, yeah not many around anymore. I came across this shelby z a little over a year ago. I went and checked it out and couldn't leave a complete 87 tII car rotting in a field, so on the trailer it went. It's rough as most turbo dodges seem to be at this point but is fairly solid for an IL car. Got it running ok last year and added a socketed lm and a boost button cal last year. Made it till oct before it blew a head gasket. Put a fresh head on it this year with a forward motion cam, turbo with a bigger compressor wheel and 2 1/2 swing valve, +40's, a 3 bar, and redid the fuel system pump to rail. Picked up some fiero wheels and 225/50's today which are a big improvement over the 15" pumpers and junk 195/60's. I already put poly bushings in the front arms but the insulators I got for the sway bar were wrong so I need to find those and it definitely needs new dampeners and springs.
    It probably won't ever be nice but as long as it is fun I'll keep driving it.

Mitsu booster

Re: 1987 shelby z beater

Took the Z to the track tonight but only got to make two runs, didn't get to do any tuning and my driving was pretty bad.

60 2.25
    1/8 9.34
    1/4 14.43
    mph 96.2

Was really hoping for for 100mph. Would have really liked to try more timing, 17.5 total seems a bit conservative.

You've got a pretty neat car considering it's your beater, the wheels compliment it nicely . A good 60 ft time and you will easily be in the 13's!

I daily drive a red Daytona too on my commute to work...which also happens to be in Joliet. Are you planning to head to the national SDAC meeting next weekend? It would be cool to talk to another local turbo Daytona owner.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    You've got a pretty neat car considering it's your beater, the wheels compliment it nicely . A good 60 ft time and you will easily be in the 13's!

I daily drive a red Daytona too on my commute to work...which also happens to be in Joliet. Are you planning to head to the national SDAC meeting next weekend? It would be cool to talk to another local turbo Daytona owner.
    I was thinking of going up for sunday/monday, maybe try auto-x. Seems to be quite a few people from the area on this forum it would be great to meet some people and see some cool cars.

Hybrid booster

What size turbo are you running exactly?

turbo addict

14.4@96 is what my mostly stock T2 tona ran at 14-15psi so you're right on track. I dropped a 2.5 under the stock T2 top end and went 13.882@101.2 at 13psi.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by krut View Post
    What size turbo are you running exactly?
    Not sure actually. I just wanted to get the thing put together and didn't take the turbo apart to measure it. It looks like a forward motion enforcer II, or similar. That is the only other turbo I have seen with a large inducer in a stock cover.

Mitsu booster

So it looks like I have reached the holding limits of the stock pressure plate. I was out checking for knock and as soon as it builds full boost in 4th the clutch starts to slip pretty bad. Could have worse problems I guess.

Mitsu booster

I'd be proud to drive such a beater, the T's are awesome! That's a nice car ,has much potential.