Thread: Buffing Basecoat

Buffing Basecoat

I filled the hole in the front of the hood on my csx where there must have been a emblem at one point in time (Turbo Bulge hood not a stock hood) The hood was painted with a single stage originally, I've been doing some work on repainting parts of the car and have base/clear that I am using. I will eventually be repainting the hood but it's not going to happen before SDAC. Can the base coat itself be buffed to get a shine and blend with the current single stage paint or should I spot spray the area with clear and wet sand and buff that in? I know the base will have no UV protection but I'm not really worried about that as I'll be redoing it over winter and will keep a good coat of wax on it.

Hybrid booster

Re: Buffing Basecoat

Go to autogeek.com. they have all the detail things that will bring back a real nice shine. Some of the stuff you dont need a high speed buffer just a orbital buffer. As long as the clear hasnt started to peel you should be good with alot of there products

Hybrid booster

I tried it on a car that had peeling clear coat and it would never really shine. It would get a matte type sheen to it, but otherwise, it always looked like poo.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

As long as the single stage isn't metallic, you should be able to buff it. Metallics usually don't have enough resin over the metal flake, so if you buff them, it moves the metallic, and you end up with awful looking paint.

Edit: OK, I re-read your post. It sound like you are trying to buff the original base coat, not the single stage paint. I doubt you will get much shine out of it, but you can try. Worst case, you will need to wet sand with 600 grit then apply a couple of coats of clear...

I highly recommend using the System 51 buffing kit. This stuff is amazing! I used it to buff the clear on my Scamp, and it is amazing stuff. Plus it's water based, and washes off really easy. It's pretty cheap too. http://www.systemfiftyone.com/?cat=3 Get the pro kit, it includes everything you need.

Want proof? Check out these photos of my truck after using this system:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	131112_0001.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	50459

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	131115_0000.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	50460

I love this stuff, and will recommend it to anybody wanting a high quality buffing system for their vehicle.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

The base coat of a base/clear system won't polish to a gloss. I would be just like trying to polish primer or a satin clear. The other disadvantage is you will be removing color which could make it look uneven and blotchy depending how much you take off in each area as typically you only have a couple coats of color. If you only want to shoot it once grab some acrylic enamel and shoot a few good coats on giving yourself some color to remove. Otherwise just clear the base coat and you're off to the races.

I sprayed some clear over the area yesterday and I'm going to give it a wet sanding and then try to buff the single stage and clear and blend it in. It won't be perfect but should look better than the hole that was there.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

If you're blending clear into single stage, the trick is to buff the hell out of the single stage before you paint.
    Then on your final coat of clear, use a blender like SEM Blendz-In on the edge of the clear to melt it into the original paint and help eliminate the dry edge around your blend.

Hybrid booster

you're wasting your time. just wetsand the entire hood with 400 grit and re shoot the entire hood. all the effort you're putting into trying to blend a single spot could've been used to reshoot the hood and it would look great, cost less and be permanently done and actually look nice.