Thread: Abs removal

boostaholic

Abs removal

I have a 92 Iroc r/t, I have had an anti lock light on since the day I bought it, every time I drive the car it is on. Yesterday I picked up a prop valve and lines from a non-abs car. Debating if I should give up on abs and install the different parts to remove everything. I like to autocross and would like to know if there is any advantage to having it functional. The abs had ever worked since I bought the car.
    Thanks

turbo addict

Re: Abs removal

Non ABS can stop faster than a car with ABS. ABS is for the people who don't know how to brake and just smash the brake pedal.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    I have a 92 Iroc r/t, I have had an anti lock light on since the day I bought it, every time I drive the car it is on. Yesterday I picked up a prop valve and lines from a non-abs car. Debating if I should give up on abs and install the different parts to remove everything. I like to autocross and would like to know if there is any advantage to having it functional. The abs had ever worked since I bought the car.
    Thanks
    Take the blub out...

If the ABS light is on, that means the ABS system isn't working anyways. Why put extra work into to it?

Now we have esc and auto braking! The Electronic Stability control just about rolled my Sebring because it reacts adversely to someone properly handling an emergency swerve. Abs just about killed me in 96 Neon. I wonder just how many accidents are caused by ABS? Automatic braking has already caused a few accidents.

I guess with Google self driving cars, an evil person could figure out how to make them run off the road or lock up the brakes with a semi behind them.

turbo addict

Try off roading with abs and esc. Does not work. Luckily you can turn it FULL off in a jeep.

boostaholic

So I am not seeing any dis-advantages to removing the complete ABS system.

turbo addict

OLD 1st gen ABS (like what is on the R/T's) is pretty crappy. I'd agree that somebody with some good driving skills could out-brake a 1st generation ABS car. Newer stuff....no way! You just can't react that fast. Now, stability control...dunno...never had any experience with it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in bad weather or on very slippery surfaces ABS is not there to make you stop faster. It is there to let you keep control of the car so you can perform an avoidance maneuver. 99% of the general public think it's there to stop the car for them. In actuality a car without ABS in the same conditions might be able to stop faster, BUT at the expense of vehicle stability.

If I could adapt a new generation ABS to my car I would. I like to drive a car that is "raw", but if I could put this on my car I know it would make it better. I've read that the C6 Corvette ABS system is basically a "stand-alone" system and can be installed in other cars. The trick is that the vehicle that you install it into has to be roughly the same weight as the 'Vette for it to work correctly IIRC.

Liability if you have an accident is the only downside I see. My 1996 Neon had it and after it kicked in once I pulled the fuse. My 2010 Sebring has it and is no better. I just talked to some one whose wife had a accident because of ABS. She tried to make a panic stop on a gravel road. The car just kept going. It would have been possible to stop without abs for someone who knows how to drive.
    With abs you just have to choose WHAT you want to hit.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    Liability if you have an accident is the only downside I see. My 1996 Neon had it and after it kicked in once I pulled the fuse. My 2010 Sebring has it and is no better. I just talked to some one whose wife had a accident because of ABS. She tried to make a panic stop on a gravel road. The car just kept going. It would have been possible to stop without abs for someone who knows how to drive.
    With abs you just have to choose WHAT you want to hit.
    Hey...at least it gives you the choice! LMAO Let's see...tree, pole, ditch, boulder....can I get a "Time Out" card to think about this a minute...

boostaholic

Abs removal

Out with the old..