Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omni GLH Turbo cross country (maintenance...)

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Omni GLH Turbo cross country (maintenance...)

I have this fantasy that I want to realize and it basically involves driving my 1986 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo from Wyoming to Virginia and back again. I haven't quite got the car running yet, but it now has a rebuilt '85 TI engine with matching '287' head, pistons (+.030"), '85 logic module and early distributor so I should be good there.

I'm thinking of things that I should take with me to prevent downtime on the highway, in case I run into trouble. I'll be taking a spare HEP, radiator/fan setup, belts, and of course a full size spare tire/wheel. Anything else you guys care to suggest? I'm hoping to make this trip in August.

turbo addict

Re: Omni GLH Turbo cross country (maintenance...)

Spare lm and pm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks. I have a spare PM I'll take with me but I'll have to look into a spare LM in my stash.

turbo addict

AAA card with 100 miles free tow.

^ Ha yeah right. I'm hoping with how anal I was about this build that I wouldn't have to do that. I'd probably be better off PMing somebody on the forum if it came to that.

turbo addict

Guy I know took everything except a shortblock and a turbo with him on a 1100 mile 1 way trip. Trans, axles, everything was in the back. Turbo failed on him while he was away. Karma? Jinx? not sure. I took nothing with me but a spare tire and a spare IC hose with me on my 1300 mile 1 way trip which was my last long one. The IC hose failed while I was down there. My dad thought I was nuts fixing it for some reason. Gave him a nice scare once it was fixed, how I don't know why he's the one that taught me to drive the way I do. Maybe I daily my car enough I know what shape it's in and trust it? But I rarely take anything extra with me. The Socal SDAC thought I was crazy I was so far away from home with zero tools or spares too.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I'd probably be better off PMing somebody on the forum if it came to that.
    You ain't gonna fix that on the side of the road.

Hell yeah Jay. I've done it that way before to. Last time was when I took my red Spirit R/T down to SLC about six years ago to buy a a TIII short block from 1BADVAN. It was about 1100 miles round trip and had absolutely no trouble aside from being astounded by spectacular MPGs.

I guess I feel like I'm probably worried too much. I've taken many many road trips in my cars and I'm pretty good with the maintenance/upkeep and haven't had very many problems.

Although there was that ONE time back in '08 when I decided to buy the white Spirit R/T in Des Moines and the red Spirit R/T's timing belt tensioner decided to fail, which rattled out the adjustable cam sprocket screws and all hell proceeded to break loose...

And I've never been as far from home as Charlottesville. But in a simple stock GLH Turbo, how bad can it get?

- - - Updated - - -

Dang Harry, is that an aftermarket clutch? Just stock clutch here... But yeah, food for though for sure.

turbo addict

1st gen TU clutch disc with no spring retainer lips on either side.

TU's supplier have since fixed the problem with the clutch disc by putting retainer lips on both side of the clutch disc.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would bring a spare hep and phillips head screwdriver. That's all I had when I took the CSX home from CA. The only reason I had those tools was because Alan Jones gave them to me. Thanks again Alan!

Garrett booster

You could bring tons of parts and still not have what breaks.
    I would suggest a spare fuel pump that you know works. On the road, you would be stuck with a parts store pump and maybe at the whim of a repair shop. Then you drive away, only to get stuck farther down the road from a crappy fuel pump and you won't be able to warranty the part or work.
    At least 1 jack stand for safety if you need to jack the car up
    Definitely don't just put the car together and set out. I would drive it a couple months, both city and highway, so you can shake out any problems. Then you prep for the little problems, mostly ignition or electrical, and trust in your mechanic skills
    Maybe part out a perfectly good TM as a sacrifice to the Mopar gods

Take a cell phone and Platinum AAA membership and a list of TM users there and back. The only time I went prepared was when I drove the IROC R/T from Anchorage. All others I've purchased oil and maybe a couple of tools, nothing much though. Unless the car is problematic, risk it and have a blast! If you come through Memphis, I'll give you a place to stay.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Spare radiator/fan check.
    Spare fuel pump....check.
    Spare fuel/coolant hoses and belts etc..check.
    Spare LM/PM check.
    Spare HEP check.
    Lots of tools check.

Although changing out a clutch on the side of the road or even a truck stop sounds like a nightmare..

Thanks Jon for the offer. I'm still in the planning stages here. If there is one thing I built this car for it's to last. Going fast is secondary. I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and rust free everything was while pulling the fuel tank out today so that is cool!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I'd fill little box with all the critical sensors. MAP, TPS, CTS etc. They don't take up much space and you just never know.

To give it a test run, take it to Milwaukee in a few weeks.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Uh, why don't you drive to Elkhorn Wisconsin June 21st instead. That if you need parts or help wrenching there will be plenty of help

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Uh, why don't you drive to Elkhorn Wisconsin June 21st instead. That if you need parts or help wrenching there will be plenty of help
    ^ There's a thinkin' man.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Bring a gas tank with gas in it. After you change the fuel pump for a L body, you'll have less than a gal in the tank.

turbo addict

Drive it around a bunch at home first to sort out any issues is the best thing you can do. I normally head out with a small tool set, T-belt, HEP, zip ties, and some fluids when going on a long trip.

Don't neglect what you'll need for yourself if you're stuck on the side of the road. A small bag with some water, snacks, an old branket, rain poncho and any other small things you think of is nice to have when stranded.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Don't overpack, keep it light and you'll get better gas milage Does your car have A/C?

If not that sounds like one HOT trip in August.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

We made it to Indy and back last year with both GLH Turbos.
    Only packed a spare HEP, fan relay, some oil and a few cans of r134.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast