Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omni GLH Turbo cross country (maintenance...)

Re: Omni GLH Turbo cross country (maintenance...)

Flew down from Michigan to Texas and drove a 85 GLH-T all the way back non-stop by myself, no tools..car did get a smidgen hot, but someone had used silicone for a gasket and it kept getting circulated through the system and plugging the thermostat, now that was a mother to fix...could not figure out why it kept over heating even after two head gaskets changes...doh. Anyhow, use quality replacement parts and you wont have issues, start using Airtex pumps and Auotzone bearings etc..and itll never stop breaking. Just do the maintenance these cars have got to have , new fuel lines under the hood with HIGH pressure clamps, vacuum lines, that oil supply line to the turbo that always seems to fail and leak, short shaft bearing, new alternator bushings etc..and a list of people(phone numbers) on the way that could possibly help.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

HEP and screwdriver.
    maybe a set of spare belts and the tools necessary to change them.
    build your stuff to be reliable and don't worry about it.

(where in Va?)

Hybrid booster

I drove my 86 GLHS from San Diego to VA Beach after the car sat for 3 months, had to stop at TU and change out the rad and the water pump (just to be safe) ater soover heating issues( about 260 for many hours but that's another story) I flew into san diego hit up harbor freight, spent about $130 on tools, wrench set, sockets, 1/2in breaker bar, small jack stand, wire, asst elec terminal and connector set, Ratcheting Tie Downs, zip ties, that self-fusing silicone repair tape ( A MUST HAVE), aluminum jack . then $70 at auto zone for fluids, all the belts( called ahead and ordered). they just drove. 28 mile to the gallon over the 3000+ miles. oh and a spare full size tire on a rim.
    Last edited by stewdaddy23; 06-02-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12