Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable GLHS modifications and #915 history

Garrett booster

Acceptable GLHS modifications and #915 history

Earlier this week I found 87 GLHS #915 for sale about an hour away from me Ill be picking it up tomorrow and yes Im very excited!

The chassis appears to be fairly clean and straight paint is decent in the pictures Ive seen Konis are there.
    The issue is the drivetrain is out of the car apparently the engine was smoking and the last owner pulled it with the intention to fix and that is where the project stalled.

Im fairly used to working on and building desirable projects from rare cars and generally speaking there is a line up to which its a good thing you're improving the car but once you cross the line value drops off rapidly. As badly as Ive wanted a real #'d Shelby car the fact of the matter is I dont fit in Chargers all that well and I like racecars I couldnt bring myself to put this thing on a track. Do we know where that line is with these cars? Those of you who have restored and or modified yours what are my big dos and donts.

Modifications Im considering: TII long block, A555, 3" Exhaust, +40s, FWDP Stage 5 cal, 3bar MAP, Larger Intercooler plumbing and surge valve. Rebuild/Revalve Konis, MP autocross springs or identical clones, SLH brakes. The idea of course would be no cutting, grinding, bending, or, welding leaving the chassis so it could be restored to stock condition and of course keeping all the Shelby parts.

If anybody has history on #915 ( I was able to find out at some point it was in the registry owned by someone named Mike Lupis who also owned #730) Id love to know more about this car.

Thanks as always
    Blair

turbo addict

Re: Acceptable GLHS modifications and #915 history

sounds like your mods will keep the value of the car. Might want to do a water/air intercooler setup as that wouldn't require any cutting and would be better than the factory i/c next to the rad.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Congrats on the car!

Enjoy it however you see fit!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Congrats indeed. I know its expensive but consider a coilover swap. The original orange Konis are such a harsh ride.

Good luck with your S

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

IMO it doesn't take much in the way of mods to not get the all original crowed for a buyer and rightfully so. If you are going to modify it then take it out and enjoy it. Check out 937 on the track.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

As a member of the "all original crowd", I have to agree with Cordes. Acceptable mods to me include a logic module, drop in K&N, and heim joint shift linkage. If you're looking to please the original crowd, keep it to those items. Otherwise, it's your car... go nuts.

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

turbo addict

Carrol built those cars to be driven - HARD
    he gave ya the basics to get you started
    do what ya want and if anyone wants to cry about it just slip it into gear , drive away and leave em behind

a stock un modded shelby is a shelby that's not liveing up to it's potential

Garrett booster

In the former owner's garage

On the trailer

In my shop

Being rod shifted this has to be an a525 correct?

No fuel pump block off plate so it must be a common block correct?

1pc intake, Mitsubishi turbo, Roller (TBI?) cam

Being that the block and head are cross drilled this is a TII is that correct?

It should be a 525. There should be a tag on the diff telling you that it is and what FD it came with.

That looks like a mitsu turbo and common block. It's probably an 89 TI motor. You'll be able to tell easily by the fact that the crank will be a 2.5 unit.

Garrett booster

Unfortunately the tag is gone.

I remember something about the drain plug location being a quick way to determine 2.2 vs 2.5 the 2.5 has a little sump/indentation around the drain plug where the 2.2 is flat to the pan? Am I crazy? Obviously the balance shafts are the best way but I didnt get a chance to pull the oil pan yet.

The flat pan is the balance shaft pan. I would physically inspect the crank itself though as a lot of things happened in the factory and in the real world over the last couple of decades.

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Since the head is off, if you can turn the crank, position the crank so two of the pistons are at Top Dead Center, and the other two are at Bottom Dead Center. Then measure the distance from the block deck down to the pistons at BDC. If it measures close to 3.62" you have a 2.2, if it is closer to 4.09" you have a 2.5.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Other more than acceptable, indeed desireable, mods, IMO, would be Mopar performance or Shelby aftermarket catalog parts such as a baffled oil pan, Super 60 turbo/ IC, and the like.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Garrett booster

Survey says 4.08" stroke and balance shafts I guess its not a big deal I have no desire to make huge power with this thing. Now I just need to get this Subaru out of my shop and some real work can begin.

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardracing View Post
    Survey says 4.08" stroke and balance shafts I guess its not a big deal I have no desire to make huge power with this thing. Now I just need to get this Subaru out of my shop and some real work can begin.
    YOu can make quite a bit of power with a 2.5. Reeves does.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    YOu can make quite a bit of power with a 2.5. Reeves does.
    He's only producing 125 HP per cylinder or 250 HP per liter. You call that quite a bit?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Im not concerned so much about making a lot of power my SRT4 is right around 330hp and is barely drivable around an autocross course. Im thinking somewhere in the 275-300hp range for this car should make it a ton of fun to drive and can be done with mostly stock and Mopar Performance (whatever is left of it) parts. Im just slightly concerned about the torque output of the 2.5 overwhelming the a525 but I guess any modified engine behind an a525 is a disaster waiting to happen. Being that this is an 87 a525 its more or less a rod shifted a520 correct?

Ive been reading a lot of little tidbits about what suspension parts fit these cars MK1 vw/924/early 944, Subaru, DSM, Fox Mustang (rear only) so on and so forth. Is there a prefered set up? The Konis are blown in the front and gone in the rear.

In other news I found the 87 TII converted engine harness and FWD Performance ECU that were in my GLH when it was a TII. At some point the GLHS was converted to 89 electronics it should just be a matter of installing the 87 style wiring harness (the bulk head connector appears the same) both ECUs and the MAP sensor correct?

Man there are so many questions regarding what you're stating. You say 89, so SMEC or SBEC? I don't remember the year, but I think 89 was the conversion or was available maybe in the 89 CSX? But I always have to look twice to see if it's SMEC or SBEC. Regardless, if you are looking to have a TII LM harness, you'd need the LM that goes by the passenger kick panel and the power module that goes by the battery. Map sensor is a question mark since you can convert to the external/underhood MAP sensor and run what I would call true 87 electronics. There are 2 additional wires run for the TPS for the GLHS and 87 electronics and a requirement to move some wires on the LM connectors, so you will need to make sure those wires are in the harness you use. I think converting a TI L body harness isn't difficult to do, but the 87 would be best if you can find one. I may be misunderstanding your post, so I apologize if you're aware of what I'm stating. BTW, here is a link to the ECU pin outs for the 87 TII electronics, http://minimopar.net/ecu/lm-1987-t2.html.

With regards to suspension, I would strongly consider one of the following options; FWDP Koni coil-overs or BC coil-overs that you can get from Rich Bryant. Both are probably close in the ball park for pricing and from first-hand experience and second-hand experience, the Konis are great as are the BCs, respectively. I'm sure less expensive kits can be applied to the cars, so others with that experience may be able to yield some information. I've done the "make-a-kit-fit" and personally like the idea of a clean installation first time. I probably could have done better with the non-standard application of what I tried, but with camber plates (would also recommend doing), everything bolted in place. In fact, the kit that Rich sells requires 2 additional holes drilled which take approximately 5 minutes per side to do, if that long.

For the trans, the 525 is the strongest thing you can run in that car.......ok, that's not true, BUT I have been running one for quite some time and have abused it at auto crosses and at the drag strip. Granted, I was running 14.55's (best ET) on street tires and 14.05 on slicks, but it hasn't broken on me yet. Having said that, I would go with a 555 at least, some would say 568 with the large spline input shaft. I can't argue for either of those specifically, but I do have a freshly built 555 with a quaife that is ready to go in my car, just need to get around to getting it home and installing it.

With regards to the title of this thread. There are purist and those who are not. You can fall anywhere on the spectrum. For me, if a car is so far gone from how it was originally, I'm not that interested in making it as it was for a number of reasons. If, however, I find a car that is untainted and in very good or pristine shape, I will do all I can to keep it that way. Just picked up an 87 Lancer that has roughly 56K on it and I intend to keep it as stock as possible. The only changes will be paint eventually and probably a conversion from R12 to 134 or propane. My GLHS was in pretty bad shape, minus real rust issues. Purchased in May of 2010 and drove it to SDAC that year a month later. By that time I had swapped the K frame for a dual pivot design, upgraded to Empi axles, upgraded to Daytona spindles and brakes, upgraded to coil-overs all the way around, upgraded the electrical to a fuse box, upgraded the alternator to a Nippendenso and had installed my RPF1's. This car was never going to be stock. Eventually Cordes and I painted the car and now it has a half-cage and custom engine work done (header, turbo, intake plumbing, FMIC). So enjoy the car and if you want to keep it clean and as pure as possible, do so. If you want to make it your own, do so. Either way you'll enjoy the car because ultimately, your personality will show in what you do with it. And we're always here to help if you have issues, one of the great things about belonging to a community like this one. Come to SDAC and you'll really experience it and get to know some great people.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I don't have a lot of information, but if I'm remembering this right, I met and used to talk to Mike Lupis at Mason Dixon Dragway, where I used to see him fairly often. He raced a white '91 Daytona Shelby 2.5/5speed, which I remember being a high 11 second car. This was 10-15 years ago, when that was really flying. His wife/girlfriend (don't know which) ran an '87 GLHS that they had converted to automatic. If I remember correctly, it was a mid 12 second car. I seem to recall at one point him telling me he had another GLHS that was closer to stock. I suspect the one you have is not the one they were racing.

Sad part of the story is that Mike passed away years ago. Bits and pieces of what he had stashed away has appeared for sale here and there over the years in Maryland and surrounding areas. I think a few years back, grim bought a ton of his old parts.

Looks like a great project. Best of luck with it!

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/12_second_daytonas.html

This was Mike's Daytona...listed on Gary's site.

Some more info:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f1/...lhs-730-a.html

Looks like the racer was wrecked and scrapped (#730) and used for parts to put #915 together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast