Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workin My G Head

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Lightbulb Workin My G Head

I have a crappy S60 big valve G head here......so I finally decided to do something with it....I sent it to a machine shop to have them install the BIG valves (44mm and 36.8mm????) into my stock G head....

so I have a couple questions here...

are the S60 big valves backcut?? if not what degrees should I have them cut too....

also since the G head has lower compression, is it best to bring back the compression up to swirl head?? if so, what should I have them get it CC'd too...

ive always used the MP headgaskets....heard they are .030" bigger?? should I get the head milled for that too??

The head is going to get a mild clean up, and he is gonna flow bench it for me afterwards, and compare it to the S60 flow #s...

does anyone have the flow #s for a stock G head, and a S60 big valve head? just to make sure im not gettin BS'd here if he cant supply me with the bench #s for the S60 head

thanx,
    Cory

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Workin My G Head

If you are going all out, I like the G-head on a 2.2 or a 2.5. Others say swirl for a 2.2 and G for the 2.5. I would not bump the compression up at all.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cordes
    If you are going all out, I like the G-head on a 2.2 or a 2.5. Others say swirl for a 2.2 and G for the 2.5. I would not bump the compression up at all.

well i know they bumped up compression on the S60 head to bring it to swirl status....

also its a 445 head that im having worked, not the deeper bowl'd 287 head....maybe I should just go with a light mill for the thicker MP gaskets...

it will be going on a 2.2L

turbo addict

Just about all the info you asked about is on Gary's website.

I run a ported G head on a 2.2 and would never go back to a swirl. With the swirl I was getting detonation at 0 boost and up when I pulled it and switched. Cleaned the piston tops and put on my G head, problem gone.

How can you have a crappy big valve G head?
    If the compression was brought up on a S60 G head, run a copper shim from Felpro. I'm using one and hasnt failed to 20 psi spikes. (with ARP head studs)
    later Dick Westerhof

turbo addict

That's the same basic setup Iam running (445 casting - 53cc chambers) for my head. I didn't have my 44mm & 36.8 valves back cut, but it might help I don't know. I highly ported my own head. With the S3 Taft cam - SC6152 Turbo and lots of other crap, mine's a revver! It's pulling pretty darn hard to the rev limit I have set @ 7500rpm, with tons of tuning yet to do!

boostaholic

What kind of calibration and EGT's do you guys have who are running G heads with the 2.2L? I had a G head on my 87 CSX with a big turbo and intercooler and couldn't keep the EGT's under control. I tried tuning the car for several weeks and eventually blew up the trans, so it's back to the swirl I go.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I agree, my EGT's are much higher running the G-head. Honestly, the around town lag is killing me, I wouldn't recommend a G-head on a heavy vehicle,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jckrieger View Post
    What kind of calibration and EGT's do you guys have who are running G heads with the 2.2L? I had a G head on my 87 CSX with a big turbo and intercooler and couldn't keep the EGT's under control. I tried tuning the car for several weeks and eventually blew up the trans, so it's back to the swirl I go.
    You probably need more ignition advance to lower the EGT's. If so that would also help to decrease lag as well. Bumping up the compression to the same as with the swirl combo would help decrease lag also.

Hybrid booster

I'm in the process of having a g-head done up for me at FWD performance. It'll have the big intake and exhaust valves, chromoly retainers, better MP springs and for a cam probably the F3 cam. This will be going on my Shadow convertible with a 2.5 motor. I plan to have it flowed just so I know for sure what I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    You probably need more ignition advance to lower the EGT's. If so that would also help to decrease lag as well. Bumping up the compression to the same as with the swirl combo would help decrease lag also.
    Tried the advance thing, not much change, and with more advance, ping city,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Tried the advance thing, not much change, and with more advance, ping city,
    Maybe it's too rich? I don't know what your EGT's are running, or alot about your combo, I'm just throwing out some ideas. I don't know what my EGT's are running either, it may scare me if I did know!!!

boostaholic

I tried advancing the timing up to 6 degrees over the 87 CSX Stage 2 cal and it only dropped the EGT's to 1550 at 20psi of boost. Even adding and subtracting 10% fuel at WOT the temps wouldn't decrease. Maybe if I had a WBO2 and a week on the dyno...

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Or just a WBO2 and some laps around town and a trip to the track

the MP G head on the 2.2L in my Z works pretty well...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jckrieger View Post
    I tried advancing the timing up to 6 degrees over the 87 CSX Stage 2 cal and it only dropped the EGT's to 1550 at 20psi of boost. Even adding and subtracting 10% fuel at WOT the temps wouldn't decrease. Maybe if I had a WBO2 and a week on the dyno...

What's wrong with 1550? That's about where Kevin Davis runs his 16V engine. Sometimes even a little higher. His engine has been holding up just fine up to 30psi. I've heard of someone that has a 10 second 8v from a good source that he runs the EGT's in the 1600 & 1700+ area.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    What's wrong with 1550? That's about where Kevin Davis runs his 16V engine. Sometimes even a little higher. His engine has been holding up just fine up to 30psi. I've heard of someone that has a 10 second 8v from a good source that he runs the EGT's in the 1600 & 1700+ area.
    I am around 1600 aprox 1/2 way down the track. Pistons can take it, just worried about the head gasket firing ring getting hot and BAM.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Pistons this, headgaskets that.... nobody looks at the valves... there is no reason to be higher then 1400 going down the track.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Hybrid booster

My EGTs go past 1600 degrees constantly due to a few variables, higher compression and inferior e-bay egt probe mainly I believe.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Pistons this, headgaskets that.... nobody looks at the valves... there is no reason to be higher then 1400 going down the track.

Frank
    What can be done to lower EGT's if there still a little high after a combo is tuned the best that is known it can be? Raise the octane, which higher octane should burn cooler? Maybe up exhaust flow to let more heat out? What else etc.? I'd say that a certain amount of overlap on the cam is needed for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post

Frank
    Stainless valves and even running at that temp or higher, there still good. How do I know, when I swapped out the Swirl head, they didn't have a mark on them,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast