Thread: Indy LeBaron and Carrol Shelby impostor...

Indy LeBaron and Carrol Shelby impostor...

Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Re: Indy LeBaron and Carrol Shelby impostor...

What a great example of ill-researched journalism! The picture was the best part showing some dude behind the wheel who obviously is not C.S.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

The cars that actually paced the race were TII cars with Super 60 packages. Through the years I seem to remember that they were the development cars for that package, hence the "Indy" intercooler. So to begin with they would have been 174hp, and then with the S60 MOPAR claimed that was good for 300chp. I can't remember what the cars that were given away to the winner and such had.

The pedestrian cars that were sold through dealerships were basically "Premium Package" cars with stickers.

turbo addict

Was there only 1 real pace car Lebaron? Would of been the PPG pace car which is over on Turbododge.com.

It may not be accurate ink, but, at least he only had positive things to say. Just needs a little "correcting". Provide the author with only positive feedback and don't beat him up too bad otherwise the next article may be negative.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Technically there was only "1" pace car, but really there was probably more than 1...have to have a back-up...just in case. The other cars were promotional cars.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

There were 4 original pace cars built. One actually was used in the race, the others were backups. You needn't go to TD to look for a good write-up on them, on here it is this thread http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...e+car+le+baron

The car talked about in this thread sat at the SDAC tent at the Mopar Nats a few years back. I was able to look it over pretty good. DaveZ of Chrysler/Shelby fame, was one of the engineers that prepped/built the cars back in the day.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

If I am correct, many pace car replicas were sold as well. Mostly a decal package.

i guess everybody has an opinion...

http://roadtrippers.kinja.com/pace-o...ars-1004038520
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

yea to me the yahoo guy just ripped off that portion of the story off Jalopnik and regurgitated it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    There were 4 original pace cars built. One actually was used in the race, the others were backups. You needn't go to TD to look for a good write-up on them, on here it is this thread http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...e+car+le+baron

The car talked about in this thread sat at the SDAC tent at the Mopar Nats a few years back. I was able to look it over pretty good. DaveZ of Chrysler/Shelby fame, was one of the engineers that prepped/built the cars back in the day.

Barry
    I was going to search for that. IIRC I actually ran into his friend on ARFCOM and steered him over here. Those two seem to have a legitimate love for our cars. I'm actually pretty amazed with the love that our cars get over there. It's a tough crown in GD for car stuff.

turbo addict

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

To be clear, the "4 original pace cars" I'm discussing, were those modified to be used at Indianapolis to pace the race and for subsequent promotion. The real pace cars had a number of modifications, including fuel cells, strobe safety lights at turn signal locations, occupant safety harnesses, and some engine mods to get the car to be able to cruise at pace car speeds.

Yes, Chrysler did a production line version as a "tribute" to the cars/event, and those were pretty much just a decal package.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

Yes, I think the ones sold at the dealerships as "tribute cars" is OP was asking about. I don't know how limited production those were. The ones I've seen were fully optioned cars with digital dash, ect.

Garrett booster

There were indeed 4 "Pace cars" prepped by Chrysler for 500 Track Duty. One is at the 500 Museum, one was given to Al Unser Sr. for winning the race (he still owns, keeps at his home garage, and personally told me that "It will never leave his ownership"), one is at the Chrysler Museum (in the basement), and the 4th (and one that was "missing" for quite a while) is now in a private collection, and is the only one that has ever saw public road driving. All 4 cars have successive VIN's, and none came with a title. I still have a 3 ring binder with the complete story of the 4th/missing car, as it unfolded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I was going to search for that. IIRC I actually ran into his friend on ARFCOM and steered him over here. Those two seem to have a legitimate love for our cars. I'm actually pretty amazed with the love that our cars get over there. It's a tough crown in GD for car stuff.
    You are correct on all accounts