Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire recommendations?

boostaholic

Re: Tire recommendations?

Mounted up the Toyo's last year, couldn't be happier with them.
    I honestly can't believe they have more bite than the original KDW's, but I suppose the KDW's were 11 years old!
    In High Octane Mode,(HOM), I used to be able to spin the tires effortlessly in 2nd, not any more.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post

I highly recommend continental dw or dws depending on where you live.
    I drove the DWS and the BFG Comp-2 A/S back to back in wet and dry conditions. Drove them HARD. Same vehicles. All tires at placard air pressure, and the BFG's out drove the Conti's in every respect, and are generally sold cheaper, size for size.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Fair enough. I used to be a huge fan of bfg's for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I drove the DWS and the BFG Comp-2 A/S back to back in wet and dry conditions. Drove them HARD. Same vehicles. All tires at

placard air pressure, and the BFG's out drove the Conti's in every respect, and are generally sold cheaper, size for size.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I FINALLY bought a new set of tires for my Caliber SRT, after 42k + miles on the original Goodyear F1s.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....XLOLD&i1_Qty=4

I bought 5 of them and it came to $514. Not bad for *5* Pirellii 245/40/19 tires (+ spare).

I wanted Michelin PSPs, but I'll save those for the new Enkei wheels. In the meantime, these tires should be great for the 3-4 months out of the year that the weather sucks here. The reviews are actually really good... and I might actually get to find out if I can get over 32 MPG on road trips for once.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Did you pick up an extra wheel for a spare?

No, I'm still looking for another stock wheel to use as a spare. So far I've only found one at Rock Auto for $178 refurbished. I'd bite the bullet and order it, but it's just silver and not polished like my stock wheels.

Hybrid booster

iTurbo. I don't spend your money or walk in your moccasins but I gotta ask. What difference does it make how shiny it is when it probably will never see the ground around Gillette or going over elk mountain, and if it does who's gonna know or be able to see the difference when you're at speed?

I hear ya. I just figured there would be enough for sale out there that I would have a choice, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Hybrid booster

Try finding a complete set of 5X100 15" Swiss Cheese in decant shape. The place down the road from me in Charlotte wants $250 per wheel to make 'um look pretty again and theirs no curb rash on any of the other 3. Good thing I found one that was NOS aye? lol

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    No, I'm still looking for another stock wheel to use as a spare. So far I've only found one at Rock Auto for $178 refurbished. I'd bite the bullet and order it, but it's just silver and not polished like my stock wheels.
    I was wondering. I've been kicking around the idea of getting just a regular donut and jack out of a junkyard Caliber just in case I have an issue where the air pump won't be enough. I know it won't clear the front brakes but worst case scenario I can bolt the spare onto the back and move the back wheel up front. But in the meantime at least I have roadside assistance.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I was wondering. I've been kicking around the idea of getting just a regular donut and jack out of a junkyard Caliber just in case I have an issue where the air pump won't be enough. I know it won't clear the front brakes but worst case scenario I can bolt the spare onto the back and move the back wheel up front. But in the meantime at least I have roadside assistance.
    Don't they use the front brakes from LX cars? Perhaps a spare from one of those would fit the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarneycars View Post
    Try finding a complete set of 5X100 15" Swiss Cheese in decant shape. The place down the road from me in Charlotte wants $250 per wheel to make 'um look pretty again and theirs no curb rash on any of the other 3. Good thing I found one that was NOS aye? lol
    I do love the Swiss Cheese wheels and have a set on my old Omni GLH, but there's no way they'd fit. Different bolt pattern (5x114.3) and the brakes are massive on this car. The Swiss Cheese wheels with 5x100 are kinda rare though, so if you've found a set I'd hold onto them!

Good idea on the spare Adam. I hear that 18" wheels from a Caliber R/T will fit, so maybe a donut from one of those cars will clear.

The front brakes on the CSRT are sourced from the police package Dodge Chargers (13" vented rotors) and the rear brakes are the larger discs from the later Sebrings (12" solid rotors).

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    You would want to put the spare on the rear anyways unless it is the same outside diameter as what you have on the car now Otherwise the different sizes woudl play hell on your trans.

True, although very few car owners actually realize that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12