Thread: Nippondenso alternator on '85 Turbo I engine

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Nippondenso alternator on '85 Turbo I engine

I'm attempting to install a 90 amp Nippondenso alternator on an '85 Turbo I engine I've built for my Omni GLH. I have the right style of tensioner, which worked fine on the Omni's previous '89 TI engine. The tensioner/bracket will not work with the early water pump housing though. I have the long lower bolt in the water pump housing with the short stud to attach the bracket, but the bracket interferes with the water pump itself.

Am I going to have to switch to the common block water pump housing setup in order to run this? If that is the case, should I also run the 'smooth' water pump pulley and belts from a common block?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Nippondenso alternator on '85 Turbo I engine

I generally run the whole later style pump housing and bracket. I have run both styles of pump with them now I believe.

That's what I did before. This is the same tensioner/bracket that I had previously been using on an '89 TI engine that was in my Omni. I still have that engine sitting in my garage and it fits with that setup perfectly. It won't work with the '85 L-body water pump at all though which kinda surprised me. Guess I'll have to update to the common block water pump and belt setup, which sucks because this '85 pump is brand new.

boostaholic

On my common block I copied Reeves and bought a turnbuckle
    Center piece from McMaster and made an adjuster
    I'll get my pics from work tomorrow

turbo addict

Jeremy, You just need the correct bottom alt bracket. You should be able to find one. They were on all the bigger than L-body pre-common block cars. And as an added bonus, this one doesn't fail like the later ones. Direct bolt in on ND, Bosch, and Chrysler Corporate alts.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4539.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	50173  

Thanks Todd, I am pretty sure I have that particular tensioner setup out there somewhere in the garage.

Although tonight I did find all the parts needed to make my current array of parts compatible ('89 water pump/housing/tensioner/bracket/pulley/belt, + ND alternator). Although if I can find a way to make the ND alternator work with the existing new '85 water pump/housing that is already installed that would be awesome! Thanks for the pic.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Thanks Todd, I am pretty sure I have that particular tensioner setup out there somewhere in the garage.

Although tonight I did find all the parts needed to make my current array of parts compatible ('89 water pump/housing/tensioner/bracket/pulley/belt, + ND alternator). Although if I can find a way to make the ND alternator work with the existing new '85 water pump/housing that is already installed that would be awesome! Thanks for the pic.
    Jeremy,

The Bosch style bracket pictured above works well with the ND alt. In my experience it did however require a slight mod to the ND alternator where one boss on it had to be cut down. Neither of the ones I did aligned properly until that boss was ground down (hacksaw and file to smooth out also works).

I think I still have the bracket in my parts bin if you need it.

-Rich

Thanks Rich. I have a pretty big turbo Mopar weekend ahead of me. A friend is coming over and we are going to pull the whole drivetrain out of his Spirit R/T (again) to replace an input shaft seal on the trans. I can only hope I will find time to work on something I actually own.

I keep remembering that certain H-body underhood wiring harness you have... Sometimes I wish I was still a pizza delivery driver because I had soooo much more time to work on cars back then! And free pizza/wings!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Dumb question, what years does that Bosch bracket come on?
    I need one of the big rubber bushings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator Rubber Bushing 002.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	486.7 KB 
ID:	50402  
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia