Thread: Coolant issue Driving me nuts!

Garrett booster

Coolant issue Driving me nuts!

Hi,

Im having a issue with coolant in my Daytona. When I let the car warm up to temp in the driveway (no driving involved) no leaks. BUT I take the car out and drive and then park it huge puddle in the back of the block. The leak (source unknown) is right under where the the power steering pump bracket is. It also seems to be leaking while driving because coolant is blown over everything subframe, axle PSP bracket. I went under the car last weekend and cleaned everything under the car with brake cleaner squeaky clean, and did not drive it for a week. Today I took it out and coolant got all over everything again.

I have checked the coolant line from the turbo to the block and thats not leaking so I'm ruling that out, Also the head gasket is fine because the car does not over heat or have any signs of head gasket failure plus I just replaced it this winter.

Any suggestions on what could be leaking back there? Im going to go under it after work tomorrow and clean it all up again take it out for a bit and try and find the source. Just looking for suggestions on what it could be.

Thanks for any and all help!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: Coolant issue Driving me nuts!

A cooling system pressure tester would be what you want to find that leak. You attach it to the radiator cap and pump up pressure to the system to see where it's leaking.

When you did the head gasket did you remove any of the lower exhaust manifold studs? They go into the cooling system and if you didn't apply the correct sealer to the threads that could be your leak. I use teflon tape because I've had teflon paste not seal properly there.

I've also had a cracked block and the crack went out from a freeze plug. That one took me a while to find.

You can borrow the pressure tester from autozone. They will take a deposit for the purchase price and refund it when you return it. Helped me find a mysterious leak on my Jeep.

Garrett booster

Hey guys just an update on what was leaking. turns out the heater core is cracked on the inside (no its not leaking into the interior) and the coolant was pouring out of the condensation pipe for the air conditioning when the system built up pressure when driving. I bypassed the heater core for now and i'll tackle that project after SDAC. But for now everything seems to be great on the car. Thanks for the help!