Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPtune project

turbo addict

MPtune project

I wanted to start a project on using MPtune. I just got my daily driver running and thought this would be a good way to get some info in one place on using MPtune and MPscan for total newbies like me. I am not new to tuning but I am new to using this stuff. I have a lm1 and aux box connected to the car and presently I can log rpm, map, fuel pressure, AFR. I have two channels setup to run temperature on but haven't set them up on the car yet. Rob chipped the ECU, programmed the base tune, and provided the cable to tune with. I've installed the ecu and the usb wire. I have the car running and driving good at idle and part throttle. The car runs really well in boost but shows lean on the wideband. I spent about 2 hours today making sure that the fuel pressure that I'm logging is as accurate as I can get it. I have 2 LM1 boxes and I've used both to verify the AFR reads the same between the two. What I know about MPtune:
    1. You can download the tune that is on the chip in the car, You need the .tpl files associated to the tune to make modifications in my case Rob is going to email them to me.
    2. Once you have the files you should save the base file so that you can go back to this if you need to.
    3. The driver for the cable needs to be sourced from the internet. I did a Google search, found one and installed it. Link: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
    4. There is a good tutorial on You Tube showing the basics of modifying files once you have your tune in hand, just search mptune. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnf2fsL10I

That's as far as I've gotten. I am waiting for Rob to send me the files. Tryinbe responded to a thread on tuning in the EFI section. I'm going to paste that here so that we have the process I intend to use to fine tune the calibration.
    Last edited by wallace; 05-25-2014 at 10:28 AM.

turbo addict

Re: MPtune project

Here's the procedure that was outlined by tryingbe:

#1. Open the bin file that is closest to your setup. Adjust for map sensor and injector size. Adjust fan if wanted, adjust overboost if wanted, turn on flash on knock, adjust allow boost if letting computer control boost. Burn chip to car or flash ostrich or flash ecu.

#2. I set the boost to around 9psi. Test drive and see how idle and part throttle works. Cold idle should be 12-13. Warm idle should be near 14.7, part throttle up to around 3psi should be be near 14.7. 3-7 psi should be near 12-13. Above 7psi should be near 11.5. If it is not, adjust the fuelparthrottle and baselinefrommap so that they are.

#3. If works ok, go brief full throttle and see if WOT any boost should see around 11.5. If it is not, adjust the tune so that it is. Go to a brief WOT to 9psi and see if you get 11.5, adjust until it is.

#4. I like to adjust pump efficiency table at 9psi, find an on ramp, data log if you want, start it rolling then stick it in 3rd, floor it from 2k all the way to 6k or whatever your redline is. Take note when the engine is at 9psi, monitor and adjust the pump efficiency table until the car get 11.5:1 a/f throughout the entire RPM range at 9psi.

#5. Once pump efficiency table is done, you can up the boost a little at a time to adjust the part throttle and full throttle, and sometimes baseline throttle.

#6. Adjust the timing advance tablet to get more or less timing, depending if the car knocks. If you're not comfortable, leave it stock. Above 15psi, you're gonna have to retard more timing, as factory timing advance adjustment stops at 15psi.

1 was done by Rob and the tune is very good.
    2. I've verified I'm ok on #2 part throttle and idling are greate the AFR's don't get much above 13.5
    3. This is where I am now. Under WOT the AFR leans out into the 14's above 10 lbs boost. Do I go to step #4 and use the pump efficiency table to bring the AFR in above 3,000 rpm and WOT? I let the car shift itself and the 2-3 occurs around 6200 rpm which so far seems to be perfect for the powerband. I have no knock indicating on the dash. I did verify the light does work.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

This is a fantastic idea, I'll suggest adding links to the info on the net you've referenced, such as where you downloaded the driver and the YouTube vids.

For those who'd like to reproduce what you're doing, links to the equipment you're using would be great too.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

This is a fantastic idea, I'll suggest adding links to the info on the net you've referenced, such as where you downloaded the driver and the YouTube vids.

For those who'd like to reproduce what you're doing, links to the equipment you're using would be great too.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Just to clarify - you can download the cal from the ECU (any cal, any computer). But, MP Tune can't edit the cal (.bin file) without the corresponding .mpt file.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Just to clarify - you can download the cal from the ECU (any cal, any computer). But, MP Tune can't edit the cal (.bin file) without the corresponding .mpt file.
    Great info. So to actually adjust the pump efficiency table I would open mptune and then open the corresponding .mpt file you provided for my cal. Do I then adjust the setting in the .mpt and save (using a new name to preserve the original cal). Once that's done I need to compile it to a .bin file and then upload to the ecu?

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Great info. So to actually adjust the pump efficiency table I would open mptune and then open the corresponding .mpt file you provided for my cal. Do I then adjust the setting in the .mpt and save (using a new name to preserve the original cal). Once that's done I need to compile it to a .bin file and then upload to the ecu?
    Substitute .TPL for .mpt and the above is correct.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...BEC-Tuning-FAQ
    Last edited by ShelGame; 05-20-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

OK, I've gotten the files from Rob. I incremented by one each point on the pumpeff table by 1 for 4 of the 5 points in the curve. The car shows lean above 3000 rpm but the second point was 2800 so I included it. I watched the video and it said small changes to these points could make a significant difference. Next step is to successfully upload the new changes to the ECU as I have not tried to connect to it yet after loading the VCP driver. The next one I need to adjust is the staging limiter. The looser converter and turbine change have shifted the powerband up a bit and I get no boost on it as of now. I see two tables I believe I should change together the they are the stagelimiterRPMON and OFF settings. I think a good place to try is 500 rpm above what I have it set at now which is 2800. Do I just shift both tables up by 500 rpm?
    Thanks.

turbo addict

I cannot get mptune to connect to the ecu. I can get the bootstrap to work as I dont get a fp prime. Im using an ancient c840 laptop that actually has a db9 connector on it. This port has always been com 1. In mptune the only port it recognizes is 1 I don't see any other selection. Should I see more than 1? The baud rates are very low 2hen comparing to the pdf in the kc article. Ecu baud is 1200 or 9600. The usb baud is defaulting to 7812. Bin size selections are 16,32, and 59.5. Ive tried all combinations of these settings but no soap. The usb ports on this pc are the older slower rates not sure if that matters or not. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

what are you using for a cable to connect the pc to the ecu? is it the ftdi cable? if so did you program it to invert the tx/rx signals? is the ecu an lm, smec, or sbec? with the ftdi cable you don't need to change any settings in the com port setup. when it starts it will show the ftdi settings down in the lower left hand corner of the program. what are those? (make sure you set the usb baud back to 7812). when you try to connect mptune creates a log file called mpt2boot.txt in the same location where the mptune program is located. post that file up also.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

I cannot get mptune to connect to the ecu. I can get the bootstrap to work as I dont get a fp prime. Im using an ancient c840 laptop that actually has a db9 connector on it. This port has always been com 1. In mptune the only port it recognizes is 1 I don't see any other selection. Should I see more than 1? The baud rates are very low 2hen comparing to the pdf in the kc article. Ecu baud is 1200 or 9600. The usb baud is defaulting to 7812. Bin size selections are 16,32, and 59.5. Ive tried all combinations of these settings but no soap. The usb ports on this pc are the older slower rates not sure if that matters or not. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    This is the cable you got from me, right? Can you snap a pic of it? I want to see which cable it is.

USB Baud should be 7812, ECU Baud should be 62500.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Thanks for the info I fixed my issue. What I found is that the 2.10 driver was not compatible with my ancient pc. I deleted and loaded 2.08 from the ftdichip.com site. Once loaded you may (I did) have to open the driver and go to advanced settings on that tab mine had a check box to override the standard usb port function to vcp. Once that was done mptune recognized the port. I have now successfully downloaded the tune that was on the chip. I also have successfully loaded the .tpl file rob sent, modified the pump eff table and flashed the ecu. Going to test my change now. Im using a chipped 91 sbec and cable allmprovided by rob. Mine works well now that I have figured the issues out. My hope is that this thread may help others use mptune as well as provide a log of my tuning effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    This is the cable you got from me, right? Can you snap a pic of it? I want to see which cable it is.

USB Baud should be 7812, ECU Baud should be 62500.
    I can do that , later if need be. I set the baud to 125000 and it worked just fine. Should I change that setting going forward? Thanks.

125k "may" work, but 62500 is more the standard. if you don't have trouble then great. i'm surprised that 2.10 didn't work for you. there was virtually nothing that was changed from 2.08.30.

i would like to have you email me (mterveen at yahoo dot com) sometime one of your mpt2boot.txt log files after you do a flash so i can see if there are any improvements i can make in the connection process.

thx.

turbo addict

Ok next issue. I have increased the pumpeff table incrementally and at one point i am at 100% and can only get 12.5 afr. I flowed the fuel pump and at 11.8v and 43 psi I get 230 lph. At same voltage and 63 psi I have 207 lph. This is a 300lph walbro designed for e85 i am on gasoline at present. Pump is wired to the alternator stud and dedicated ground to engine block. A running test at idle shows 14.1v at alt and 13.8v at pump. I've verified the injector part number does equal 83 lb/hr and also verified the injector size on the tune. What am I missing? Watching the mpt video small changes in the pumpeff table should make a big change in the afr. Ive verified my wb02 with two separate lm1's. The plugs look good not terribly lean. From my testing it appears the indicated afr is very close to correct. I have the wg connected directly to the compressor outlet. It creeps to about 10psi at the top of 2nd and 3rd (atx).

turbo addict

To add the data logs do show a 1:1 boost to pressure ratio.

if you can log rpm, map, tps and afr at either idle, part-throttle or wot and save it in a csv format (comma separated file) i can help you load it in to mptune and match it up to the pump efficiency table. it's not perfect but it would be interesting to see the data overlayed on that table. i think rob L mentioned there might be some issues with doing that but i don't recall what they were.

turbo addict

It is abnormal not to be able to get the afr in line with pumpeff right? I have 4 more of these 83 lb/hr injectors. I believe I'm going to send these off to have them flowed. They are new tfs injectors. I'm leaning towards fuel flow and the pump so far has checked out. Im also going to check voltage at the pump under wot to rule that out.

Ok next issue. I have increased the pumpeff table incrementally and at one point i am at 100% and can only get 12.5 afr. I flowed the fuel pump and at 11.8v and 43 psi I get 230 lph. At same voltage and 63 psi I have 207 lph. This is a 300lph walbro designed for e85 i am on gasoline at present. Pump is wired to the alternator stud and dedicated ground to engine block. A running test at idle shows 14.1v at alt and 13.8v at pump. I've verified the injector part number does equal 83 lb/hr and also verified the injector size on the tune. What am I missing? Watching the mpt video small changes in the pumpeff table should make a big change in the afr. Ive verified my wb02 with two separate lm1's. The plugs look good not terribly lean. From my testing it appears the indicated afr is very close to correct. I have the wg connected directly to the compressor outlet. It creeps to about 10psi at the top of 2nd and 3rd (atx).
    83pph rated at what pressure? Usually they're rated at the more standard 43.5psi. If you are running near stock fuel pressure (55psi) they're going to flow considerably more.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

They are rated at the standard 43.5 and I have the pressure set to that. Does having to set the pumpeff table to 100% indicate a problem?

They are rated at the standard 43.5 and I have the pressure set to that. Does having to set the pumpeff table to 100% indicate a problem?
    Unless you believe your head flows that, yes.

You're tuning it with the adaptive fuel turned off, right? Or at least only at WOT?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

The one time I had problem with pump efficiency table, it turns out I had problem with the USB cable.

The USB cable would disconnect even when everything was plugged in externally. Moates's burn program also only check the ostrich at startup and doesn't notice when ostrich disconnect while the program is open.

So, we THOUGHT we were changing the pump efficiency, we weren't, not at the ostrich, only at the computer. We changed the USB cable and problem went away.

The other times where we changed pump efficiency and didn't get the result we desire is when the fuel pump wasn't pushing the amount of flow we thought. One time it was the voltage dropping when we were using a smaller pump. The other time was the filter sock blocking 65lbs/hr of flow.

We learn never "thought", always "test" when we come to a problem.

wallace

Have you try to add more fuel via WOT table at 10psi? Add 20% more pulse time and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast