Thread: Got my 1986 287 head at the machine shop now, what are your recommendations?

Mitsu booster

Got my 1986 287 head at the machine shop now, what are your recommendations?

86 Turbo 287 head is getting cleaned up now.

I have a new stock cam
    stock valves

Can I convert this head over to roller rockers?

What upgraded valve springs can I get that will still use the stock hardware, retainers, keepers, etc. ?

This will go on a 1989 2.5 block.

Thanks guys

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Got my 1986 287 head at the machine shop now, what are your recommendations?

You can use a roller cam and rocker package in that head, provided it's not an oversized journal head. But if your NOS cam is a slider (which would have been stock for 1986), you can't use roller rockers with it.

Mitsu booster

Re: Got my 1986 287 head at the machine shop now, what are your recommendations?

ok, Any info on upgraded valve springs that will still let me use the stock hardware?

turbo addict

Crane and Comp cams makes a good spring that fits our motors. Look for applications for small block Mopar 273/318/340/360, etc. Don't increase spring pressure much without switching to roller cam or your slider cam will wear badly. The slider camshafts used a weaker spring than even the stock rollers for a reason. If you have new slider camshaft I would definitely use a cam break-in lube. Pay attention to oil slots on cam caps, they weren't machined very well. I always have to clean them up with small ignition files so they work as designed.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

The slider cam would wear faster with heavier springs, Thanks, I did not think of that.

Ok, can anyone give me a link to a complete setup for a roller cam, roller rockers for a 86 2.2 287.

Thanks again

turbo addict

There really isn't a bunch of difference in NA and turbo rollers. The NA actually have more duration, and many feel that would be a good thing for performance. BTW the slider cams have more duration than the rollers and virtually same lift. Roller cams will usually be a bit quieter, Since rollers don't usually wear much, used would do fine assuming journals aren't all tore up from improper cleaning or maintenance. Rollers followers can be transferred from lobe to lobe unlike slider followers, so used followers can be used if funds are tight. Guy was selling new OEM non-turbo roller cams on Ebay for a long time. Think he was getting like $60-75 for them. Several aftermarket companied make roller followers. Melling, Federal Mogul, Pioneer, etc. All seem good OEM quality. Rollers were in all 8V applications from 88 till end of production. Both 2.2 and 2.5, turbo and non turbo. If you go with a roller, don't forget to upgrade the springs.
    Make sure your machinist pulls both 5/8" core plugs out and runs brush through oil galley when final washing head prior to assembly. If it's already done, it should be obvious if they installed new core plugs. Many shops cut corners and don't do this.
    Oh, BTW the 4323287 head was a closed chamber head used in 1985. In 1986 and forward, all turbo applications used the swirl 4105782. They did use some 287 heads in non turbo Omni's until 1988 (when the Omni finally received FI). That is why some G-heads you will see will have 86+ casting date on them. MP also sold G-heads with later than 1985 casting dates on them.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 05-15-2014 at 11:12 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by TurboVanAK View Post
    Ok, can anyone give me a link to a complete setup for a roller cam, roller rockers for a 86 2.2 287.

Thanks again
    From other site. This guy is well trusted good forum member and seller. he is also on this site. Same username. $50+ ship for cam, rollers, and cam pulley bolt. ready to ship.
    Todd
    http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/...body-fuel.html

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Is your 1989 2.5 a turbo, keep in mind the early head will not have the cross drilled cooling passages.
    Better post some pictures of the head you are planning on using and your setup.
    While I'm a big fan of the G head, many have tuning problems using them on a 2.5

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

Remember to degree the roller when you install it. Depending on year it can be off by 4 degrees or more.

Mitsu booster

Yep, I got my steamholes cut on the 2.2 head. The block is a 2.5 Turbo from an 89 turbo caravan.

degreeing the roller... Crap, There are so many little catches and hiccups to learn.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Don't run a G-head on a 2.5 in a van or heavy car. I would never run one on any 2.5. It does not work right. Go with a swirl and you will be much happier. Trust me , been there done that. You can run the roller cam / rockers in it no problem, just replace it all with the roller stuff. Dont worry about the cross drill holes. You can run a non cross drilled head on a cross drilled block. The problem you are going to have are driveability issues. The poor combustion characteristics overcome the slight better flow not making this swap a good choice. On a 2.2 yes, a 2.5 no. I spent 3 years trying to tune a g-headed 2.5. I was never able to get a good timing table where it would not knock or be a dog for a daily driver. You can get it close but there is such a narrow area where there is not enough timing or having too much timing and the outside temperatures effect this too much. For a drag only vehicle you would be able to get away with it a little more but not on a driver. After all this time modifying cals, I got disgusted pulled it, installed a ported swrl. Much better. Sorry for the rant. Since Simon hasn't been on lately I had to make up for what he would have said..
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the warning about the 2.2 on the 2.5 block, I saw you mention that in a previous post.

At this time I am pot committed on the 287. I think I will build it up as just a stock setup.

Thanks

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboVanAK View Post
    Thanks for the warning about the 2.2 on the 2.5 block, I saw you mention that in a previous post.

At this time I am pot committed on the 287. I think I will build it up as just a stock setup.

Thanks
    I would seriously think about investing in the swirl if you can and sell the G-head. What kind of vehicle is this going on? I have heard some talk at one point that shaving the head a little more to up the compression helps but I never went that route so I cannot verify it helps or not. I would definitely look into this before you install the head. Just as a heads-up you will need a socketed ECU and a custom cal because it will be a dog with very high egt's with the stock ecu due to the head requiring a lot more timing out of boost. Mine felt like it was starting in 2nd and EGT's would exceed 1700 in no time. The larger turbo did not help the situation but it is not that laggy with the swirl head. You can advance the distributor to help the power issue and egt's but you will have too much timing at higher boost levels. The timing tables are quite a bit different as well as the timing by RPM which simulates the mechanical advance. I can send you a few cals you can use as a base to get going and I believe one of my cals is the base for robs turbonator g-cal. The cal will be a good start but will require fine tuning to your setup. The best option would be to buy one of Rob's flashable ECU's or get an ostrich. This way you don't have to keep burning chips. At minimum get a Moates chip extender. Also this setup really likes autolite racing plugs. I cannot remember the number but AR51 keeps coming to my mind. These are colder than the 9's that are recommended for these engines with mods. ill gladly help with advice setting it up but after all the headaches I had, that is the reason why I try to talk other people out of it, plus in the end it cost more because all the money I dumped in the g-head I ended up doing the same into a swirl. Justin
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member