Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: external wastegate

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: external wastegate

Sometimes you have to compromise between what's ideal and what fits.

You can bore a hole and place the wastegate in the side of the turbine throat just as easily as you can the top. As stated, that is where the factory internal gate port is. Plumbing will get tight in there tho.
    Last edited by contraption22; 05-20-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Thanks guys, seems like it is still out of my skill level. Im a parts replacer sucks that the turbo has to sit again for some time longer

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Huh? I dont see an easy fix with what he has to work with. You can stick a wastegate anywhere you want whether or not it will work properly is a try and see approach. In order to try and make sure it does work you (ideally) want it placed so that it vents all of the cylinders. Stock vents all 4 at the turbine housing at a 90* angle to the flow. Ideal no but it does work, but I don't see how to do that with what he has. What is your proposed solution as I didn't see one.
    See below.

But my point is not that you have to use some bad angle, but that there is no reason why it has to be facing up. I would face it to whatever direction (like towards the power steering pump) that avoided the most obstacles. I am being very nice about your abrasive post.
    The only reason it would be difficult for someone else to fab fairly cheap would be if he can't explain what his setup is or the person making it doesn't have a comparable setup to figure out spacing. We know the stock manifold can still make a lot of power and waiting for parts that might never come that you only wanted so you can run an external wastegate will drive people out of the hobby. I vote for people being supported in their reasonable ideas. I definitely vote for thinking outside YOUR box.

You don't even have to mount the wastegate near the actual location that you source the exhaust from. There are so many options for people with little space.
    Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Sometimes you have to compromise between what's ideal and what fits.

You can bore a hole and place the wastegate in the side of the turbine throat just as easily as you can the top. As stated, that is where the factory internal gate port is. Plumbing will get tight in there tho.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Touchy touchy, sorry I offended you. I don't see a way to use the stock gate with the turbo he is using. The two ways I've seen someone do this is some sort of gate using the factory wastegate hole that he doesn't have on his turbine housing or weld it to the stock manifold. If there are other options that are outside of the box I would be interested to know myself.

Hybrid booster

Im interested in the other ways too. I have looked all over the web finding very little. I would be greatful to see some ideas or hear some. I have plenty of mods to support the turbo i bought. But the original goal has became out of touch and its probably a couple of years away now. I just hate seeing the turbo everyday and really wanted some other options that maybe more cost effective. Thanks guys this is good

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Touchy touchy, sorry I offended you. I don't see a way to use the stock gate with the turbo he is using. The two ways I've seen someone do this is some sort of gate using the factory wastegate hole that he doesn't have on his turbine housing or weld it to the stock manifold. If there are other options that are outside of the box I would be interested to know myself.
    So first you give advice on how you think an external wastegate "needs to" work and now you are talking about a stock gate? What?

Do you understand how simple it is to do the modification pictured above BUT not actually locate the wastegate there? You can have quite a long feed pipe to the wastegate. You don't need to put it at the angle or location listed above either. You locate things where they can fit. I am quite sure that anyone on this site with the skill to weld to cast iron and has an 8 valve car around to look at could make something suitable for cheap and the O.P. could have a local exhaust shop finish the rest with an extra flange/clamp or two to make he transition from the cast weld joint to the rest of your piping. There is so much creativity that can be done with wastegate placement. Simply radiusing a few things and putting a little advantageous angle on will help ensure good boost control.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    So first you give advice on how you think an external wastegate "needs to" work and now you are talking about a stock gate? What?

Do you understand how simple it is to do the modification pictured above BUT not actually locate the wastegate there? You can have quite a long feed pipe to the wastegate. You don't need to put it at the angle or location listed above either. You locate things where they can fit. I am quite sure that anyone on this site with the skill to weld to cast iron and has an 8 valve car around to look at could make something suitable for cheap and the O.P. could have a local exhaust shop finish the rest with an extra flange/clamp or two to make he transition from the cast weld joint to the rest of your piping. There is so much creativity that can be done with wastegate placement. Simply radiusing a few things and putting a little advantageous angle on will help ensure good boost control.
    I do understand how easy it is I've done it so I actually have some experience. My setup went 9's with excellent boost control, all the fabrication was done by me. Take a look at the picture (you referenced) again, he mounted it exactly as I had suggested. Most setups are a compromise. What you describe above is not simple for the average person to design, fabricate, and install nor will it be quick if you need to pay for fabrication. Not saying it can't be done quickly but most would need to save up the funds which could take some time. Years? Maybe depends on your situation. To the op good luck with your setup however you proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12