Thread: help with new setup

turbo addict

help with new setup

I've gotten my new setup running and driving. I have a socketed sbec with a bb cal rob did I also have the tuning cable. I have the wastegate directly connected to turbo and I have about 7 lbs. I have a wb and can datalog with it or if possible I can output the wb to the sbec. Is the first step to setup the peftbl? Advice and informarion greatly appreciated.

turbo addict

Re: help with new setup

Here's what I do. Some does it differently than me.

#1. Adjust for map sensor and injector size. Adjust fan if wanted, adjust overboost if wanted, turn on flash on knock, adjust allow boost if letting computer control boost. Burn chip to car or flash ostrich or flash ecu.

#2. I set the boost to around 9psi. Test drive and see how idle and part throttle works. Cold idle should be 12-13. Warm idle should be near 14.7, part throttle up to around 3psi should be be near 14.7. 3-7 psi should be near 12-13. Above 7psi should be near 11.5

#3. If works ok, go full throttle and see. WOT any boost should see 11.5

#4. I like to adjust pump efficiency table at 9psi, find an on ramp, data log if you want, start it rolling then stick it in 3rd, floor it, adjust the pump efficiency table until the car get 11.5 throughout the RPM range under 9psi.

#5. Once pump efficiency table is done, you can up the boost a little at a time to adjust the part throttle and full throttle, and sometimes baseline throttle.

#6. Adjust the timing advance tablet to get more or less timing, depending how if the car knocks.

Note, be sure to make a copy of the cal before you adjust anything so you can always go back.
    I make folders and name them V1, V2, V3 and put a note in each calibration so I can go back and see what I adjusted.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 05-09-2014 at 12:27 PM.

turbo addict

Thanks. Can I send the wb output to mpscan? I'm using innovate lm1 and it has configurable output.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Thanks. Can I send the wb output to mpscan? I'm using innovate lm1 and it has configurable output.
    Any info on how to do this available?

turbo addict

8not sure on the sbec but the smec you can input the wideband 0-5v signal to the stock o2 sensor input, then there is a table in mptune where you setup the voltage conversion. Then the sbec takes in the 0-5v signal converts it to a narrowband signal which it uses for driving. The original 5v signal is then made available on mpscan to Datalog.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    8not sure on the sbec but the smec you can input the wideband 0-5v signal to the stock o2 sensor input, then there is a table in mptune where you setup the voltage conversion. Then the sbec takes in the 0-5v signal converts it to a narrowband signal which it uses for driving. The original 5v signal is then made available on mpscan to Datalog.
    It doesn't work in the SBEC yet. I had it setup in my test version, but it didn't work. I'll work on it this summer, shouldn't be a big deal to get it working right.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Please let me know when you get it fixed

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Here's what I do. Some does it differently than me.

#1. Adjust for map sensor and injector size. Adjust fan if wanted, adjust overboost if wanted, turn on flash on knock, adjust allow boost if letting computer control boost. Burn chip to car or flash ostrich or flash ecu.

#2. I set the boost to around 9psi. Test drive and see how idle a5nd part throttle works. Cold idle should be 12-13. Warm idle should be near 14.7, part throttle up to around 3psi should be be near 14.7. 3-7 psi should be near 12-13. Above 7psi should be near 11.5

#3. If works ok, go full throttle and see. WOT any boost should see 11.5

#4. I like to adjust pump efficiency table at 9psi, find an on ramp, data log if you want, start it rolling then stick it in 3rd, floor it, adjust the pump efficiency table until the car get 11.5 throughout the RPM range under 9psi.

#5. Once pump efficiency table is done, you can up the boost a little at a time to adjust the part throttle and full throttle, and sometimes baseline throttle.

#6. Adjust the timing advance tablet to get more or less timing, depending how if the car knocks.

Note, be sure to make a copy of the cal before you adjust anything so you can always go back.
    I make folders and name them V1, V2, V3 and put a note in each calibration so I can go back and see what I adjusted.
    I'm on step 2. Idle and part throttle are working pretty good. Wastegate is connected directly to turbo I have about 6 lbs boost on the tiny boost gauge and the afr is 13.4 to 13.7. Im going to add the tach signal to the lm1 and I can log what I need going forward. From what I've read so far the pump efficiency table is close to this point, do I have that right? Going to run it as is and get a log of it for a baseline. The 2 step is set to low for the new turbo and converter. Going to raise that up a bit. Thanks.