Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual EGT / Thermocouple gauge w/probes $115 shipped

turbo addict

Dual EGT / Thermocouple gauge w/probes

This gauge has two thermocouple inputs, and a numeric display of 2 rows, 4 digits each.

Each row can be independently configured at any time via the front pushbuttons to display any of the following:

-Probe #1 temperature
    -Probe #2 temperature
    -Probe #1 peak temperature
    -Probe #2 peak temperature
    -Temperature difference (subtract Probe #1 from Probe #2)
    -Temperature difference (subtract Probe #2 from Probe #1)
    -Peak temperature difference (subtract Probe #1 from Probe #2)
    -Peak temperature difference (subtract Probe #2 from Probe #1)

The peak temperatures are always being updated even if the display is not currently set to show them.

The peak temperatures can be reset at any time by holding down one of the front panel pushbuttons for a couple seconds.

This gauge also has two analog outputs which allow the temperature of Probe #1 or Probe #2 to be output in real time to external equipment such as a datalogger, multimeter, or oscilloscope. The analog output range can be configured for a simple 1 degree per mV output or can be more tightly centered around a region of interest to improve sensitivity up to 20mV per degree.

Temperature is sampled at 60Hz. The display and analog outputs are updated at 10Hz.

This gauge kit comes with the following:

1x Dual EGT gauge with two Type K thermocouple inputs
    2x Type K thermocouple probes with exposed tips and stainless steel construction. Rated for 1832F continuous.
    2x 1/8 NPT compression fittings for thermocouple probes
    1x Mounting bracket kit for gauge with two nylon thumb nuts

Housing: ABS with raw machined finish and semi satin reflectivity. Text is machined into surface of gauge and hand painted white.

Lens: Makrolon polycarbonate

Electrical pinout: +V, GND, DAC_A_OUTPUT, DAC_B_OUTPUT, DAC_GND (use is optional).

Thermocouple probe: Type K, stainless steel construction, 1000C (1832F) continuous rated. 6 foot length. PTFE jacket with stainless braid and PTFE wire insulation. Exposed fast response tip. 1/8" NPT compression fitting.

Gauge thermocouple harness: 3 foot length, female blade style thermocouple connector.

Mounting requirements: Recommend 2 1/16" diameter hole for gauge. Body from behind flange to end of studs is about 2.5". Panel thickness up to 1/8" thick, thicker if included aluminum bracket is modified.

Here are some possible uses for this gauge:

-Intercooler performance can be quantified and monitored by installing a probe at the compressor outlet and a probe at the intake manifold. The effect of H20 or Methanol injection can be observed as the temperature drop between the compressor outlet and the intake. In addition the compressor outlet temperature can be monitored to see where the turbo is operating in its boost map.

-A common use would be to have one probe monitoring a single cylinder EGT, and another probe in the intake manifold. This would provide useful information about how stressed the engine is under boost via the temperature of the air entering the cylinder and the temperature of the exhaust gases.

-Currently only exposed tip thermocouples come with the gauge kit. However, you could connect any thermocouple which uses the industry standard male mini blade connector. If you used enclosed tip thermocouples, you could measure oil and coolant temperatures with very high accuracy and peak detection, or even the drop in coolant or oil temperature across the radiator or oil cooler!

Just go to http://www.exoticelectron.com to make your purchase. Your support is greatly appreciated!

Detailed technical support will be provided via the forum for all turbo mopar applications!
    Last edited by acannell; 01-23-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Dual EGT / Thermocouple gauge w/probes $115 shipped

Interested in this for my Ramerati A/W intercooler project.

I take it the probes are 1/8" NPT?

And does it "hold" the peak numbers so I can drive and look at the meter later to see what the peak numbers were?

Should I order longer probes (from you?) to be able to capture better "middle of flow" numbers? as opposed to a reading that might be corrupted by proximity to the intercooler wall?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Re: Dual EGT / Thermocouple gauge w/probes

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Interested in this for my Ramerati A/W intercooler project.

I take it the probes are 1/8" NPT?

And does it "hold" the peak numbers so I can drive and look at the meter later to see what the peak numbers were?

Should I order longer probes (from you?) to be able to capture better "middle of flow" numbers? as opposed to a reading that might be corrupted by proximity to the intercooler wall?
    Sorry the original specs dont include all the relevant info. Im still trying to come up with a one page spec sheet that has everything that would be important to know. I added more info to the original post.

To answer your questions:

The compression fittings are 1/8 NPT thread. I'd recommend tapping shallow first until you see how far in they will fit, they are on the narrow side.

The way the peak system works is:

-At all times, peak temperatures of both probes are being sampled and stored internally.
    -Also, the peak difference temperatures between probe 1-2 and probe 2-1 are always being stored internally.
    -The display can be configured to continuously display several different measurements, some of which are the peak measurements.
    -If you have the display configured to display one ore more of the peak measurements, then you will see the peak values , which will only update when a new peak value is recorded.
    -For instance, you could have the top row display probe #1 temperature in real time, and the bottom display show probe #1 peak temperature. In this case, the top row will be continuously updating with the real time temperature of probe #1, but the bottom row will show the last recorded peak temperature, updating only if that peak is exceeded by a new peak temperature.
    -You can reset all peaks at any time by holding down one of the buttons for a couple seconds.

I only have one length of probe, but I believe it will do a good job of measuring near the middle of an intercooler tube, especially if you carefully tap so that you can screw the fitting in as far as possible.

Heres a picture showing how far the probe reaches. Looks like about 1.5" maximum. Remember to take into account the thickness of whatever bung you use if it is not flush with the intercooler surface.

I believe that being in the center of flow is not as important for intercoolers and intake air as it is for exhaust gases, which are very high velocity and I would imagine have a much more severe temperature gradient cross section. Just my opinion!

If you would like to place an order just send the paypal and your kit will ship on Saturday.

If you have any more questions please ask!

Last edited by acannell; 01-23-2015 at 08:18 PM.

I was thinking of measuring/comparing the temps on each side of the IC but there will be more delta (albeit with more flow interference) by placing the probes before and then after the intercooler, at the compressor outlet nozzle and then at the IM neck.

But first, one of the sensors goes into the exhaust manifold for EGT.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

turbo addict

I was thinking of measuring/comparing the temps on each side of the IC but there will be more delta (albeit with more flow interference) by placing the probes before and then after the intercooler, at the compressor outlet nozzle and then at the IM neck.

But first, one of the sensors goes into the exhaust manifold for EGT.
    Thank you for the purchase!

Yes at the compressor nozzle and the intake manifold right behind the throttle body is how I have mine currently mounted.

This nice thing is, you can have it display the temperature drop, but also the individual temperatures of the probes. I.e. compressor nozzle at 250F, intake manifold at 60F, temperature drop calculated in real time as 190F, with peak detect of all three (probe 1, probe 2, probe 1-2)

For the data logging, do you know how it would work? Like is there specific equipment or certain brands it can work with? I have a Zetronix system that accepts 2 wire EGT probes, but I don't know if there is a standard out there for these type of sensors so that the data can be read by any data logger.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    For the data logging, do you know how it would work? Like is there specific equipment or certain brands it can work with? I have a Zetronix system that accepts 2 wire EGT probes, but I don't know if there is a standard out there for these type of sensors so that the data can be read by any data logger.
    This gauge has two analog voltage outputs which can range from 0 to 4.096V. The output Volts per Degree can be configured, but for instance, the most common configuration of 1mV/degree would result in a temperature like 1451F being output as 1.451V.

It sounds like the Zetronix system you describe is meant to be used with thermocouples, which have much lower voltages (1832F is about 0.040V for a type K), so its probably not compatible unless it can be switched into a mode where it accepts voltage output style sensors.

But otherwise, the 0 to 4.096V output of these gauges should be compatible with any data logger which accepts voltage inputs, which are very common.

However, I would suggest when getting a datalogger for temperature measurement, to carefully select one that has a fast enough response rate to capture all the action. Something with at least 10 samples per second in my opinion.

If you tell me the model number of your zetronix I can look it up and tell you what I find as far as compatibility.

This is the model.

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.shtml

This is their EGT probe.

http://www.zeitronix.com/installatio...allation.shtml

Thanks for checking!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    looks like you are in luck!

the ZT2 says it has two 0-5V analog inputs:

• User1 Input:
      - 0-5 volt analog input. Voltage data is viewable on all models of the LCD display.
      Software support for the display of Zeitronix pressure sensors.
      - Customized data conversions can be entered to match 0-5 volt sensor specifications.
      All converted User1 data values are displayed only in the software.
    • User2 Input:
      - 0-5 volt analog input OR configurable to be used with Fuel/Oil/Boost pressure sensors and Air/Water/Oil/Transmission temperature sensors.
      - Data is displayed on the 2010 Model LCD and ZR-2 Multi-gauge as a pressure or temperature.
      - Zeitronix Data Logger software will display and log data according to sensor type.
      - Customized data conversions can be entered to match 0-5 volt sensor specifications.
      Customized data conversion values are displayed in the Zeitronix Data Logger software only.

So I think it would accept the outputs of the Dual EGT gauge and do the datalogging. You'd probably have to setup the conversion rate in the ZT2 to match whatever you configure that gauges to output but its seems like that would be easy.

Oh right, didn't think about that. I don't think I'm using both, just the one for MAP. I was hoping to use their EGT input just to have the other analog one free. That and I kinda like John's notion of using the probes for checking air temps. Good info though. Still thinking about getting this, gotta see when I can get one.

Thanks Asa, got it. Instant shipping, nice product.

I test fit one sensor probe last night. It's a compression fitting; that allows adjustment to place the tip of the sensor at the exact center of the compressor outlet and it allows 360* swing of the sensor's 90* leg.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

Thanks Asa, got it. Instant shipping, nice product.

I test fit one sensor probe last night. It's a compression fitting; that allows adjustment to place the tip of the sensor at the exact center of the compressor outlet and it allows 360* swing of the sensor's 90* leg.
    Glad you like it!

Test fit. Should have a pic of the IM neck side tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compressor Temp Sensor 002.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	482.2 KB 
ID:	50215  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

Test fit. Should have a pic of the IM neck side tomorrow.
    looking good! is that the port thats built in to the compressor housing or did you add it?

The built in one, the tip centers perfectly. After I paint the IM, I'l post a pic of the IM side sensor in its new 1/8th NPT bung.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

The built in one, the tip centers perfectly. After I paint the IM, I'l post a pic of the IM side sensor in its new 1/8th NPT bung.
    Are you planning on using the analog outputs for datalogging?

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Are you planning on using the analog outputs for datalogging?
    Haven't got that far yet. As I understand it though, for now, the yellow wire stays insulated and is not connected to anything?
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

Haven't got that far yet. As I understand it though, for now, the yellow wire stays insulated and is not connected to anything?
    The yellow wire is ground, just like black, the difference is where its physically connected on the PCB. Its connected to ground very close to the DAC chip ground, so that there isn't all the power noise that youd get on the black wire since the black wire carries all the LED switching currents and everything else, and so therefore you can get more accurate analog outputs using it. Its the "star ground" concept.

And yes you can leave it unconnected.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

I think I need one of these...
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    I think I need one of these...
    You can now go to http://www.exoticelectron.com to purchase one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast