Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grinding when going into reverse

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Grinding when going into reverse

When I bought my CSX-T years ago, it had gear oil in the trans. Switched it to 5w30 when I put the new engine in it, and never had any issues. Well, at least until after I swapped it into my old Daytona and jumped a curb on a foggy night resulting in a broken 16" pumper wheel, bent control arm and k-member, and a cracked transmission case. But that's a different story.

Anyway . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I had a situation once where i got a clutch that the hub was either too thick or the depth wasnt set correctly relative to the rest of the disc, and what would happen is if you put the pedal ALL the way down the TOB would actually touch the hub and push it back against the flywheel. If you didnt push the clutch ALL the way down it would actually shift properly. If i'd seen this thread earlier i could have suggested trying that. I fixed mine by grinding a couple of millimeters off of it.
    That is a thought. The new clutch has a rather fat hub in the middle. But I did try pushing in the pedal to a few various depths during the test drives with no change. The old clutch would release by about 3/4 of the way down. But I'll compare it to the old disc and see how it stacks up.

The other thought I had tonight- Is it possible that the flywheel has been turned too much and the throw-out bearing is reaching the end of its travel before fully depressing the fingers on the pressure plate? The flywheel seems plenty thick, but I don't have a good way to measure it, and I have no idea how many times it's been turned. I just grabbed the best looking one off the shelf. I looked through the service manuals and it only gave specs for runout, nothing for overall thickness. But I notice that Rock Auto lists flywheel shims in 0.025" and 0.050" thicknesses.

I like to use BELRAY MC trans oil. It's got all them "special" additives, and works great in my ancient 555. Try a coupla 1/2 in flat washers on the trans end of the clutch cable, between the rubber bushing and the release arm. Those cables do stretch.

That might relieve some of the tension on my intake pipe as well. I'm guessing just don't go past taking the slack out of the bearing lever?

Well, over a month later, the car finally moved under its own power again. I only put it together enough to back it out, turn a circle in the lot, and drive it back in (no cooling system or air plumbing). But it went into reverse, first, and second with no grinding or forceful shifting, so the problem must be gone.

Thanks for everyone's help and support.

Could the disc be bent from letting the trans hang down from it? It will still slide easy with the trans out but it will drag badly when installed. Spin it on the input shaft and see if it wobbles badly.

boostaholic

My clutch pedal on the lancer would not adjust properly and I came to find out it was one side of the adjuster was stripped. The car was really tough to shift as the clutch must have been dragging. Since I replaced the adjuster its much better however if I go from neutral with the clutch out to reverse after pressing the clutch it will grind a little. I have just taken to going to first initially then reverse as that stops the gears in the trans.

Issue has been more or less resolved. Still need to mess with my shift linkage a bit it seems, but right now I've got bigger problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12