Thread: How to repair plastic interior/exterior plastic parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sticky

Exclamation How to repair plastic interior/exterior plastic parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sticky

My job is repairing pianos.
    The answer to broken plastic is plastic key tops and acetone. The plastic dissolves in the acetone and bonds broken pieces back together. This is more than just gluing the pieces rather the parts become one piece again. Missing gaps can be filled in with a thicker solution of keytop. Parts can be reinforced from the backside where there is room by bonding part of a keytop to the back. You will have to repaint the parts unless you dye the keytop solution to match. OR you can get some plastic from the junkyard that are the same color and dissolve that.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: How to repair plastic interior/exterior plastic parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stick

Seems like polyethylene (milk bottles) doesn't dissolve in the same solvents as do other types.

And then ABS and PVC glues are different, one won't dissolve the other.

Maybe there's a chart that says which solvent for which plastic and then a way to ID what kind of plastic you have?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: How to repair plastic interior/exterior plastic parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stick

I've had very good luck repairing ABS plastics (such as our dash framework) with a VersaChem two-part epoxy sold at most parts stores. Look for the one that specifies ABS plastic.

But the urethane body pieces I haven't attempted yet.

turbo addict

for plastic that has oxidized grey like t top trim always does , use turtle wax scratch remover (in the skinny green bottle)

this will make the trim black and smooth enough to shine like brand new & will only take an hour or so to do the typical t top trim set

Hybrid booster

ive used this trick many times when doing custom installs. ABS plastic will dissolve in acetone, and become a paste like substance, spread it around where needed and allow to dry completely. sand and refinish as needed. it will be just as strong as it was before it was broken. its much better than using any kind of glue because the ABS parts are chemically melted together instead of bonded together by a glue.

Hybrid booster

So using the acetone trick, just find some extra abs plastic and soften both surfaces so they can bond? This would work great to repair broken screw holes.

turbo addict

I wonder if this would hold for A pillar trim clips that get torn off. Those take a lot of stress when removed.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Anyone have any personal examples of work they've done to do this? I would be interested to see some first hand experiences.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

for those the best bet is to use a very strong 2 part epoxy and bond the clip onto the part itself. coat the area where the clip sits, place the clip in position and then another coat of epoxy, allow to cure fully. make sure to sand the area so the epoxy has a good rough surface to grab onto. I use this stuff, works really well for bonding metal and plastic together http://www.lowes.com/pd_192926-69-13...%3D4&facetInfo=

Hybrid booster

That acetona/ABS trick will work great for my broken dash-cowl bolt mounts. Those things are about as strong as a potato chip when you pull that thing out.

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Anyone have any personal examples of work they've done to do this? I would be interested to see some first hand experiences.
    Jon, I fixed/re-created the broken tabs on my 87 CSX grille with the ABS/Acetone (actually used Oatey Extra Special Black ABS Cement) and reinforced them with fiberglass mesh joint tape layered in the ABS. They are much stronger than stock and though the process was time-consuming, I am very happy with the results.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    Jon, I fixed/re-created the broken tabs on my 87 CSX grille with the ABS/Acetone (actually used Oatey Extra Special Black ABS Cement) and reinforced them with fiberglass mesh joint tape layered in the ABS. They are much stronger than stock and though the process was time-consuming, I am very happy with the results.
    Thanks Warren, I remember you telling me about this. I may dabble in doing something, but I have just not had any time to do much of anything lately. As Cordes pointed out, not sure why we wait until the last few weeks before SDAC to do ANYTHING on our cars. What are we doing with the other 11 months!?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Working on those never ending projects like I have!