Thread: Tons of smoke after head gasket replacement. Please help

turbo addict

Tons of smoke after head gasket replacement. Please help

88t1 converted to t2 stock Mitsubishi turbo

Ok my car blew a head gasket so I had the head sent to the machine shop and checked out. It was decked .06 thousandths and had them check the valves out replace the valve seals while they had it apart. I know I'm gonna have a little bit of smoke during restart after all that work but I have a ton and it smells like oil and looks like oil. I have 125 hot compression on all 4 cylinders. I'm reusing the stock mitsu turbo and replaced the return line with the hose TU sells other than that I took nothing on the turbo apart. I primed the oil before restart so nothing was dry.

Can the valve seals be put on wrong and how would I tell?

How can I test if for some reason the turbo is dumping oil into the exhaust. I disconnected the intercooler hoses and am not getting oil thru that way.

Anything else I can check I'm at my whits end and need to get this car going or I'm gonna have to cut my losses And sell it

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Tons of smoke after head gasket replacement. Please help

You might try removing the turbo oil return line again (including the hard tube piece) and checking for oil coking up inside. If it is getting restricted, this could certainly account for the smoke you are seeing.

Also try removing the down pipe and see if there is oil in there. And removing the air intake off the compressor and check for excessive shaft play.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    You might try removing the turbo oil return line again (including the hard tube piece) and checking for oil coking up inside. If it is getting restricted, this could certainly account for the smoke you are seeing.

Also try removing the down pipe and see if there is oil in there. And removing the air intake off the compressor and check for excessive shaft play.
    checked for shaft play when it was off and it had none side to side or up and down should I check it again? I pulled the top side pipe off the intercooler and I'm not getting any oil on the top side of the intercooler. But I will try looking on the bottom side to. I will pull the return line off tomorrow hopefully and see and pull the down pipe off also and check for oil.

Could something have been knocked loose in the turbo from being on and off and such?

Anyone ever had a torn valve seal?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

If it is a valve seal and it's still smoking a lot, I would think you would start to see oil ash buildup on one of the spark plugs. I would check out the downpipe and turbo oil return once more just to rule it out though.

turbo addict

If it is a valve seal and it's still smoking a lot, I would think you would start to see oil ash buildup on one of the spark plugs. I would check out the downpipe and turbo oil return once more just to rule it out though.
    No oil in the down pipe that I can see she's all dry. Intake side of the turbo is dry Also. The oil return is free and I can see up into the turbo and all looks good. I also shoved a head bolt down the tube going into the oil pan and that seemed clear also.

- - - Updated - - -

Plugs have a grayish tint going on with them

turbo addict

Tons of smoke from the tailpipe or under the hood?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

PCV valve working correctly? It could be leaking boost into the crank case, pushing oil out the turbo seals.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Tons of smoke from the tailpipe or under the hood?
    Tailpipe

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    PCV valve working correctly? It could be leaking boost into the crank case, pushing oil out the turbo seals.
    Dont have a pcv valve I run it straight to a catch can

At idle it sits here and smokes like crazy even with the oil fill cap off.

If you haven't already, check the exhaust valve seal. That can lift up and pull oil in on decel (basically any time a vacuum is pulled) and cause it to burn oil like crazy and leave no traces in the head. Had to fix this on my CSX, so I know what it looks like. For mine, the head was a Chinese knock off and I'm pretty sure the valve seals didn't clamp down correctly so as soon as I had any pressure applied in the engine, it pushed them off and oil got drug in. That's my bet. And you'll have to check real close to see if the seal has come off the seat, not terribly obvious when you're looking through the valve spring.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

I have the same problem n now im startin to think its the exhaust valve seal. When i floor it runs good. When i let off thats when it pours out and at idle. So the vaccuum on decel would make sense. I did my head gasket n while i did so i had the head gone over, rebuilt turbo, new gaskets. Where i messed up at is when i was putting the pcv back together i didnt have a breather or catch can on it caused crank pressure couldnt pull off valve cover cap w/o pressure. Im thinkin that eventually made it start to smoke. And im hoping and it sounds like the exhaust valve seal. Just havent pulled valve cover to check. I would be able to easily tell right? Sorry didnt mean to barge in.

Hybrid booster

I know I had 2 cars so far that smoked like crazy without a pcv valve. I suggest you reinstall it. Just put a T in and run the pcv and the catch can that way you have adequate suction at all times.

Garrett booster

I had the pcv valve but not the breather. I now have a breather init now but just going to put a catch can on anyway. I think the damage is already done sadly. So valve cover will be comin off within the week and hopfully i can see the problem with the valve seal being pushed out. #4 plug has the dirty black ashy junk on it so im betting (hoping) its the valve seal on that cylinder. I think back n think... damn! Learn from your mistakes i guess. Haha