Thread: No Spark Caused by Factory Alarm?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

No Spark Caused by Factory Alarm?

When I first bought my car 15 years ago I ran into a guy who owned a white Daytona R/T. I talked with him for a while but never stayed in touch. I have wondered ever since what happened to the car. Yesterday when I went to lunch I drove past a tire shop and saw the same car sitting on their parking lot. Long story short, the guy pulled the motor, rebuilt everything, put it back together, and now it wont start. The car will not spark. He's replaced the coil pack already. It has a factory alarm, and I suspect it has to do with that. He doesn't get online, so I thought I'd post this here and gather some ideas for him. Any thoughts?

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Re: No Spark Caused by Factory Alarm?

Usuially with the factory alarm or when the SBEC gets confused and thinks the alarm is armed ( even though there is no alarm) they will start for a second and then turn off due to fuel being cut off. Sounds like something else is wrong.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    When I first bought my car 15 years ago I ran into a guy who owned a white Daytona R/T. I talked with him for a while but never stayed in touch. I have wondered ever since what happened to the car. Yesterday when I went to lunch I drove past a tire shop and saw the same car sitting on their parking lot. Long story short, the guy pulled the motor, rebuilt everything, put it back together, and now it wont start. The car will not spark. He's replaced the coil pack already. It has a factory alarm, and I suspect it has to do with that. He doesn't get online, so I thought I'd post this here and gather some ideas for him. Any thoughts?
    Did they happen to throw a new clutch in there when they pulled the engine and rebuilt everything?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black93RT View Post
    Did they happen to throw a new clutch in there when they pulled the engine and rebuilt everything?
    Yes, I believe he did replace the clutch, I suppose it could be crank sensor related...

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

turbo addict

Clutch plate covering the crank slots is what I was going to suggest as well. A scanner should show if there is a crank signal during cranking; or at the least probe the leads and use a scope to see if there is a signal. Perhaps the cam sensor is too far away from the cam gear.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Garrett booster

Talk to boost button. I had the same thing happen to me after i rebuilt my engine. My computer had failed so i got a new one through FWD. The new computer had a car alarm enabled, so the car wouldn't start. I originally looked at everythig timing, including getting new cam and crank sensors. Boost button gave me a chip to put in my ecu, turned on the ignition, then off and put the original flashed chip in. Car started no problems