Thread: too lean, fine untill it hits boost

Hybrid booster

too lean, fine untill it hits boost

so i just go the car all togeter, i haven't had a proper cal done for this setup but its got a fwd performance VNT stage 3 computer in it, it idles around 14.5 when up to temp runs fine up untill it gets into boost then leans out to 18.0-19.0 at 1 or 2 psi then i let off the gas... can this be fixed with what i got or should i just forget about it untill i have the money to get a custom cal done ?

mods are
    88 T2 turbo
    innovate wideband gauge
    threadstone fmic with all 2.5" piping
    3" intake piping with big cone filter
    ported 2pc intake with 52mm throttle body
    +20 injectors
    3 bar map
    turbos unleashed fuel rail
    accufab adjustable regulator
    2.5 inch exhaust with magnaflow muffler and hi flow cat
    all new vacuum lines and vac block
    adjustable boost controller (spring and ball type)
    blitz bov

no vac leaks and fuel pressure is set right, tryed turning it up no change really...

Hybrid booster

Re: too lean, fine untill it hits boost

i'm just going to get a new cal done and go from there, nothings going to make this one work, at 65psi fuel pressure its still 16.0 when boost starts, engine must flow too well for this cal... i think the fwdp computer might be socketed, going to check tomorrow, would be great if it was

turbo addict

Sound like the fuel pump is dying or the fuel filter is clogged.

I'd upgrade the fuel pump and then change the fuel filter.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

^What Harry said is where I would start. Great looking engine bay BTW Do you have a diagnostic style FP gauge with a long enough rubber line so you can watch the pressure while driving? How long did the car sit while you were doing the build?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    ^What Harry said is where I would start. Great looking engine bay BTW Do you have a diagnostic style FP gauge with a long enough rubber line so you can watch the pressure while driving? How long did the car sit while you were doing the build?
    I can tell by your mods that the stage 3 VNT cal IS NOT the right cal for your car. The stage 3 is meant for a fairly stock set up with a VNT turbo, and VNT vacuum set up. We do make a VNT into a t2 cal that uses a 3bar and +40's, which is what you should be using. If you bought that ECU from us, call me. In addition I highly doubt your +20' will be enough regardless of what cal you use.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    thanks, only one mounted on the fuel rail but i will be replaceing/upgradeing the fuel pump and filter and getting boost button cal since i found out i wont need to get the computer socketed because it already is

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    I can tell by your mods that the stage 3 VNT cal IS NOT the right cal for your car. The stage 3 is meant for a fairly stock set up with a VNT turbo, and VNT vacuum set up. We do make a VNT into a t2 cal that uses a 3bar and +40's, which is what you should be using. If you bought that ECU from us, call me. In addition I highly doubt your +20' will be enough regardless of what cal you use.
    bought it used for cheap before i decided to go t2, just figured it might still be close enough to work....
    with +20injectors i thought i should be ok at or around 15-18psi since the car was running stock injectors at 14psi on the vnt without a problem