Thread: Chitown Season Opener Car Show 5-4-14 @ Schaumburg, IL**Updated with Pic's**

Mitsu booster

Cool Chitown Season Opener Car Show 5-4-14 @ Schaumburg, IL**Updated with Pic's**

Hey all, i ran across this car show event a few hours ago and while it isnt TM specific, it is open to all makes/models. They estimate over 700+ cars and 10+ vendors showing up, and i will be there early in the GLHS. I know we have some members towards the city and wanted to let you all know this is going on this weekend.

http://www.chitownmeets.com/main/ai1...season-opener/

When: May 4 (Sunday), 2014 @ 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm

Where: Giant Parking Lot - East Algonquin Road & Arbor Drive, Schaumburg, IL 60067 USA

Cost: FREE

Anyone interested in going?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: Chitown Season Opener Car Show 5-4-14 @ Schaumburg, IL

Sounds like a fun day, interested but a little far for me..

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

I'm going to try to make it. I have something planned earlier in the day. Just spectating as car is in pieces still
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Mitsu booster

87' GLHS Wins Directors Choice Award

Hey all, my girlfriend and I went the event, showed up at noon and there was about 450 or so cars there. Found my way to where the cars were being parked and was told to park in a handicap space by one of the directors who said it was okay because "We rented the lot". As soon as I park the car, I was swarmed by a group of people, all eager to check out my car. I didn't even have a chance to get out of the car before people engaged me with questions and snapping photos. I felt like a celebrity! About 5 minutes later, another guy who was higher up in the chain of command, said I wasn't allowed to park there. As it turned out this would be a good thing! I would have received a ticket if the police came by and no one wants that. Instead I was told to park my car at the end of the isle (blocking off access to entrance/exit to this isle). This gave the Shelby maximum exposure because everyone had to drive by it to park their cars.

There are lots of people still gathering around, checking it out, asking questions and taking photos - Lots of Photos! It even drew the attention of Doug Mitchel, a photographer. Doug expressed interest in doing a photo session of my car, and getting it published in some sort of magazine. Doug extremely careful to NOT give a name to any specific magazine. He gave me his business card, he took down my information, as well as some information regarding the car, he snapped a couple of photos (I'm guessing those were reference shots?) and then disappeared into the crowd. Yep, it was looking like it was going to be a good day.

After awhile, I decided to go check out the other cars with my girlfriend. There was a lot of modified muscle cars, stock muscle, 15-ish Neons (sadly no other TM), but mostly there was a lot of modified imports. My girl took lots of photos as we stroll through the parking lot. After a while, we meet up with Brad (Shmedley) from TM, and his son - we chatted for a while. Brad's a pretty cool guy, needs to get his car done so he can bring it to meets as well. While chatting with Brad, one of the event staff members stopped by and asked me to tell her a little bit about my car. I replied with 'what do you want to know'. 'I'm one of the judges for this event.' Oh, okay. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but at this point my knees started shaking! So I gather myself and give her some information (what little information I could remember) about my car. She asked me to stick around. Okay great, so I continued chatting with Brad. About 10 minutes goes by and the judge is back and she brought some guy with her. She tells me that her name is Sam, her friend is named Tim, and they like to talk to me about the car a little more. Tim asked me to pop the hood and start up the car, I comply. We talked a little more about the car and they asked me if I was planning to be here all day for judging (well, I am now) Yes!

My girlfriend decided she would post some photos of the event on facebook, so we're just hanging-out near the car. After a while Sam, brought even more of her friends this time. They are all judges. All of them start asking questions, it was if I was in the final round of Jeopardy. My girl starts taking photos the group as they all stand around my car. The newest judge tells me that I've been selected by one of the event judges as their pick for their 'Stock' category. He continued by saying that I need to stick around for the awards, which will begin at 4:30pm. They shake my hand and disappear into the crowd.

At this point, I'm excited, but I try to down-play it. I was only planning to attend, show my car, check-out the other cars and call it a day. I didn't think my car would be selected for judging. 4:30pm rolls around, the staff announces they have made their selections and name the driver & car for each judge in each category. While the winners were handed their plaques, we were also told to please bring our cars to the front of the show for everyone to see, and for photos. I couldn't wait, so as soon as I was handed my plaque, I went to the car and drove it to the front. I wanted to be sure I was first in line so I would be sure that when they took photos for their own use that the Shelby Dodge name would get some good coverage and recognition. Just making sure I do my part to get the name recognition of Shelby Dodge.

Yep! It was a great day.

Last edited by Mightymopar; 05-05-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Mitsu booster

This is were they had us line our winning cars up.

Congrats on the win! The car looks great :thumbup:

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: Chitown Season Opener Car Show 5-4-14 @ Schaumburg, IL**Updated with Pic's**

Congrats, The GLHS looks great. I was out of town or I would have tried to get down there with the Shadow.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Re: Chitown Season Opener Car Show 5-4-14 @ Schaumburg, IL**Updated with Pic's**

Car looked great. Congrats on the win!
    Was nice meeting you and yes I know I need to get it done. I was catching crap from the boy on the way home. That is until I bribed him with some hardees
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Very nice, congratulations!

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Congrats man! the car looks great!! thanks for taking such good care of it!
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Mitsu booster

Thanks guys for the congrats =) Clay - Im doing the best i can!
    -------------------------------

I just ran into another car show/swap meet (Mopar theme'd this time). Reason for posting this is i know some local's have the older muscle cars.
    May 18th Mo-Power Madness Car Show & Swap Bartlett High School, 701 Schick Rd, Bartlett, IL (Chicago land area) from 8-4pm
    Registration is 8:30-noon & Awards (19 different classes) at 2:30pm. Car show is $15, spectators free.

It appears to be (in my eyes) mostly geared toward the 70's and modern Mopar's but it would be fun none-the-less. The weather looks to be great and there should be atleast 2 TM's there, the 87' GLHS and CSX. Let me know if any of you plan on making it out. Pics will be posted after.