Thread: '87 T-II piston

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

'87 T-II piston

I need one stock piston (in good shape) out of an '87 T-II engine. It needs to be out of a non-common block T-II to match the others. It also needs to be a full floating piston (c-clip hold the wrist pin in and wrist pin can be slid out, not pressed out).

A little back ground, I have a customer that has a Charger that he loaned to his son and it through a rod through the block and that he's trying to get back on the road. They supplied me a donor short block but one cylinder dropped a valve and beat the crap out of the piston. His nephew told me his uncle (the owner of the car) has alzheimer's and probably only has a couple of years of driving left so they are trying to get this back on the road as cheap as possible hence only needing one piston instead of buying a whole set and boring the block. I'm not looking for free or a deal by giving a sob story, just trying to forward the urgency of trying to get this done. I need a price shipped to Mesa, AZ 85213.

turbo addict

Re: '87 T-II piston

From the other site.

These pistons & blocks have letter designations-(A, B, C, & D) to more closely match the piston to the bore when chrysler machined and assembled the parts. You will need to tell us your letter if you want to have a chance of dropping it in without machining the block. You could have any combination of letters in any individual cylinder hole. It is usually stamped on the bottom oil pan rail below each cyl(I think), and on the tops of each piston.---A,C,C,D or B,B,A,D or A, A, A, A. Something like that.

Good luck

turbo addict

"A" is the smallest and "D" is the largest.

I have often thought if you were lucky enough to have a block that was A,A,A,A, you could hone it 4 times with just a torque plate and rebuild it 4 times with stock pistons. Maybe that is too much to ask?

If you are using a NEW/DIFFERENT block, you may need 4 NEW/DIFFERENT pistons to put into the NEW/DIFFERENT block cylinders.

It seems like you should have 6 remaining 'good' pistons between these 2 motors? 1 motor with a piston on the ground, and 1 motor with a beat-up piston leaves 6 good pistons doesn't it?
    Are the 2 motors different from each other?

Good Luck!
    more info.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

All this A-B-C-D is really just splitting hairs. From the smallest to the largest the difference is only .0001" Like most everyone else, I have taken apart engines with a C piston in the A hole. etc.

A.J., if you cant find anything closer I have an extra, but shipping would probably take at least a week.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    All this A-B-C-D is really just splitting hairs. From the smallest to the largest the difference is only .0001" Like most everyone else, I have taken apart engines with a C piston in the A hole. etc.

A.J., if you cant find anything closer I have an extra, but shipping would probably take at least a week.

Thanks
    Randy
    Randy, I agree about splitting hairs. I'll be happy to get one. How much shipped to Mesa, AZ 85213?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Just P.M. your mailing address if you need it.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada