Thread: PT Cruiser Blown Head Gasket

Garrett booster

PT Cruiser Blown Head Gasket

Hey Guys/Gals,
    I just worked on my buddy's 03 PT and man WTF was mopar thinking with all that mount, bracket, strut brace and tension rod all on the side of he engine????
    I want call the PT Bruiser!!! Anyway during the head removal and getting that bracket out of the way so I could ensure the Cam timing was on point....I noticed there wa no pullers available from any stores to get that crank timing belt cog off! It's a interference fit and hard to get off the crank....So I made a tool that I wasn't able to find and I'm wondering how many people may need one?

Garrett booster

Re: PT Cruiser Blown Head Gasket

I found the tools online from Miller for $55 after the fact! But at the time we couldn't locate any in the local autoparts so I made one from scrap metal!!!

Garrett booster

did one last weekend
    I used a harbor freight puller and followed this write up (btw m8x1.25 bolts
    http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...l-pump-415027/

boostaholic

i bought a puller for the timing belt cog years ago.I have used it twice.I have lent it out more than I have used it.I got mine from www.toolsource.com

Garrett booster

Did that R/H engine mount contraption kick my a$$ only? Is there a secret to getting it in there? I understand that it really provides good control over engine movement....But every PT I've seen in the junkyard, the upper and lower engine strut brace has been obliterated!!! So I found a decent lower one in the junkyard, and filled it with 3M window weld as well as the upper engine strut mount....since they seem to get beat to death!
    Last edited by Vader85; 05-02-2014 at 03:41 AM.

boostaholic

The upper and lower torque engine mounts are super cheap.I hate PT's I absolutely refuse to do any more PT timing belts.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    The upper and lower torque engine mounts are super cheap.I hate PT's I absolutely refuse to do any more PT timing belts.
    This and then some.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Garrett booster

Are SRT4 Neons easier?

turbo addict

I think pt timing belts are cake, the trick is removing the triangular bracket from the strut tower, once that is out the motor mount bracket comes right out. I can get a pt timing belt done in 3-4 hours with a water pump.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Its a bad RH motor mount killing the torque mounts. That little bugger buried in the frame rail. If its bad the other 2 mounts will only last a few months. I removed the trans mount and moved the drivetrain over just enough to get that chunk of cast iron out of the way, after that it was a piece of cake.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I think pt timing belts are cake, the trick is removing the triangular bracket from the strut tower, once that is out the motor mount bracket comes right out. I can get a pt timing belt done in 3-4 hours with a water pump.
    I wish I could say I did it that fast, but I wasn't strictly doing a timing belt and didn't have the crankshaft sprocket puller on hand either! First time removing a head on a PT and I wanted to ensure the timing was on par....So removing that freakin was a bear and getting it back in was even harder....Next time I'll probably remove the altenator for even more motor movement.....and as for DOHCRT I inspected the motor mount in the frame rail (R/H motor mount) it was good or appeared to be!