Thread: SMEC and early log TI

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

SMEC and early log TI

Is it possible to run an '85 2.2L Turbo I motor on SMEC wiring/harness? I would need a custom cal because it has a G-head. It also has the early distributor.

I'm all set to install an '85 TI engine into my '86 GLH Turbo. I have the main underhood harness and the logic/power modules to go with the '85 stuff, but I can't find the sub harnesses for starter and alternator.

On the other hand I have a modified '89 turbo Caravan that I had used in the car and everything to go with that. If I could make the '85 TI run on SMEC electronics, it would make a later TII swap pretty darn convenient too.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: SMEC and early log TI

No. The IAC/AIC motor on the log engine is a two wire and the SMEC is set to run a four wire. Also the narrow distributor puts out a 5v square pattern and the SMEC needs to see an 8v square pattern (or visa versa it's been awhile). I went through this with my Dad's '85 T&C wagon and have it documented in the build thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ild&highlight=.

So if you change intakes and distributors then it will be a yes.

boostaholic

FWIW Jason Jordan was running a T2 throttle body before the turbo on his DC over the top IC setup on his black Shelby Charger
    He had GLHS electronics
    So you wouldn't actually change intakes
    I actually have an old LRE modified over the top DC intercooler setup
    LRE built a bracket that mounted a T2 throttle body in the stock T1 throttle body position
    Basically it was a flange that bolted to the T2 T body and it looks like the lower half of the T1 flange with the 3 mounting bolts
    I guess my point is it can be done, but I'm assuming you want to run all the pretty gold P coated T1 parts you had in your P log

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Thanks for the info. It looks like I'll just have to make this original LM/PM wiring harness work. I have since found a tattered front sub-harness (alternator/distibutor etc) from a Shelby Charger that I can rebuild and make work. Now if only I could find an L-body turbo starter sub harness I could get this running.

Keito - I have most of the parts to do the DC intercooler setup, except for the intercooler itself. I just want to get the car running bone stock since it's sat in my garage motionless for the last 8 years. I've done a lot of powder coating to it so it is all black/wrinkle brown/blasted aluminum now.