Thread: Few questions on the flashable SBEC?

Garrett booster

Few questions on the flashable SBEC?

Few questions on the flashable SBEC (from Rob);

1. To actually flash using the bootstrap I was going to use a pushbutton (with two leads) connect one of the leads to the red wire from the SCI cable and the other wire would connect to a male cigarette lighter adapter. The cig lighter adapter though has two leads, I'm thinking I only connect one of the leads to the wire from pushbutton? or do I connect both leads?

2. First I only want to "download" what is on the SBEC now so I can modify (never used MPTune but I am pretty computer literate) do I have to use the bootstrap to just download what is on the SBEC? Or can I just hook it up using the SCI cable and download it like that?

3. My current cal is extremely rich at idle (code 37 & 52) and the idle fluctuates a bit, I'm not sure if it the cal doing this or something else I've replaced baro, map, checked vac hoses & replaced all of my +40 injectors (they were old anyway) to no avail so where do I get started in MPTune "looking around" to see if it is the CAL burn?

Thanks!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Few questions on the flashable SBEC?

Quote Originally Posted by kpic View Post
    Few questions on the flashable SBEC (from Rob);

1. To actually flash using the bootstrap I was going to use a pushbutton (with two leads) connect one of the leads to the red wire from the SCI cable and the other wire would connect to a male cigarette lighter adapter. The cig lighter adapter though has two leads, I'm thinking I only connect one of the leads to the wire from pushbutton? or do I connect both leads?
    No, not both leads. You just need a 12v source, and the other end goes to the red wire thru the pushbutton. But, Make sure the 12v you use is constant-power. Not switched with ignition. If it's switched with the ignition, it won't work. The 12v must be applied before the ignition is switched on to bootstrap the ECU.

2. First I only want to "download" what is on the SBEC now so I can modify (never used MPTune but I am pretty computer literate) do I have to use the bootstrap to just download what is on the SBEC? Or can I just hook it up using the SCI cable and download it like that?
    No, you bootstrap it to read the cal, too. FWIW, you can read any stock cal using this method. It doesn't have to be a flashable ECU to simply read the cal. However, reading the cal won't give you all of the files needed to edit using MP Tune. Send me an e-mail, I'll send your files to you...

3. My current cal is extremely rich at idle (code 37 & 52) and the idle fluctuates a bit, I'm not sure if it the cal doing this or something else I've replaced baro, map, checked vac hoses & replaced all of my +40 injectors (they were old anyway) to no avail so where do I get started in MPTune "looking around" to see if it is the CAL burn?
    That's a common problem recently. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is. But, I know the Injector Latency table is wrong in your cal (I just looked), and many others. I'll update that when I send your cal files to you. Just let me know what e-mail you want them sent to.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    No, not both leads. You just need a 12v source, and the other end goes to the red wire thru the pushbutton. But, Make sure the 12v you use is constant-power. Not switched with ignition. If it's switched with the ignition, it won't work. The 12v must be applied before the ignition is switched on to bootstrap the ECU.

No, you bootstrap it to read the cal, too. FWIW, you can read any stock cal using this method. It doesn't have to be a flashable ECU to simply read the cal. However, reading the cal won't give you all of the files needed to edit using MP Tune. Send me an e-mail, I'll send your files to you...

That's a common problem recently. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is. But, I know the Injector Latency table is wrong in your cal (I just looked), and many others. I'll update that when I send your cal files to you. Just let me know what e-mail you want them sent to.
    Hey could you check my cal as well? Hoping to start my car this coming weekend. Thanks.

Garrett booster

Thanks Rob, check your PM - I left my email to you.