Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashable SBEC vs Ostrich

Flashable SBEC vs Ostrich

So Chuck finally sent me his Willem burner! I set everything out and began setting it all up to test it out and start working on tuning my shadow. I came across a problem though, my laptop doesn't have a parallel port. I ran around the house checking all our laptops and none of them have one. A search on here suggested that 25 pin to USB converters don't work for this. So instead I am looking at changing how I will be getting cals to the ecu. There isnt much price difference between the boost button flashable sbec and an emulator. I am leaning towards the flashable sbec as in my head it seems like the simplest setup (and I read a lot about battery drain with the ostrich). Any thoughts on one versus the other? I have a backup ecu so I could easily send one out and still have the car running. Thanks in advance for any input! I know I ask a lot of questions but I'm still pretty new to all this

turbo addict

Re: Flashable SBEC vs Ostrich

Ostrich you can do a live tune without shutting the car off.

I use ortrich to tune the car until I am happy, then I burn the files onto a chip and put the chip in.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Ostrich you can do a live tune without shutting the car off.

I use ortrich to tune the car until I am happy, then I burn the files onto a chip and put the chip in.
    Yeah. The idea of burning your own cal is great and all, but the cost of the Ostrich is outweighed significantly (to me anyways) with the ability to tune on the fly. With a chip burner, you have to pull, burn, test, rinse, repeat. Granted when you get it tuned you may not ever have to really mess with it again, but I would easily say that you can and probably will have a tune for the seasons, not to mention as you make upgrades. I like plugging my laptop into it, burning the cal I want while the car is on and then be done. For around $200, we can tune and scan our cars like the newer stuff. Ostrich is close to $200, Rob's cal for $40 and heck MP Scan and Tuner are free? Crazy stuff!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Yeah. The idea of burning your own cal is great and all, but the cost of the Ostrich is outweighed significantly (to me anyways) with the ability to tune on the fly. With a chip burner, you have to pull, burn, test, rinse, repeat. Granted when you get it tuned you may not ever have to really mess with it again, but I would easily say that you can and probably will have a tune for the seasons, not to mention as you make upgrades. !
    Some people have more than 1 car to tune and only want to buy 1 Ostrich for all cars.

In fact, my Ostrich is not even in any of my cars, it's in AJ's van....

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Some people have more than 1 car to tune and only want to buy 1 Ostrich for all cars.

In fact, my Ostrich is not even in any of my cars, it's in AJ's van....
    Man, so true. If you have socketed computers, it's a low cost solution. I mean, you can only drive one at a time. I guess that becomes an issue when you want to take more than one car to a car show.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I prefer the Ostrich. I have multiple cars to tune. I've had some SMECs go bad so all I have to do is socket a new one and I'm good to go. No waiting for a new one. I've also had a glitchy Ostrich and I was able to borrow one to use as a diagnostic tool. I also have the Willem USB burner so I can flash a chip and then move the Ostrich to another car.

Went ahead and ordered the ostrich, which should arrive Thursday!

Get ready for tuning on the fly. You will never want to buy a chip or burner again unless you have 10 cars, then it could get costly.

Hybrid booster

Get ready for tuning on the fly. You will never want to buy a chip or burner again unless you have 10 OR MORE cars, then it could get costly.
    Hey - I resemble that remark! Note: I edited it slightly...LOL!

I use the Ostrich on my LM and SMEC cars, but have been trying BoostButton's flashable SBEC in my van and I do pretty much the same thing - try to get the tune right and then burn it to a chip and move the Ostrich/BB Flash Module to another vehicle.

Jon

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SactoShadow View Post
    Went ahead and ordered the ostrich, which should arrive Thursday!
    If you have an SBEC, you'll need a latch adapter to run the Ostrich. The SBEC uses an odd chip from the factory. The latch adapter makes the Ostrich (and/or a regular chip) look like a factory SBEC memory chip...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

curious - for those using an ostrich with mptune. i have never had any feedback on how the realtime tuning actually works. i assume you are able to make cal changes and update the table to the ecu without an issue? i only ever bench tested it. or are you not using mptune to do the realtime updates? lmk.

to me, the pros of the ostrich are the real time updates, cons are that you cannot log with the ostrich. with a flashable chip you lose the real time updates (at least until rob and i can figure out a way to do this) but it still is very easy to flash the ecu and be able to also log using mpscan/mpscandroid.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    If you have an SBEC, you'll need a latch adapter to run the Ostrich. The SBEC uses an odd chip from the factory. The latch adapter makes the Ostrich (and/or a regular chip) look like a factory SBEC memory chip...
    I just looked at the SBEC latch adapter board on boostbutton (your site right?) and it looked a little different from what I have.

This is what both of my ecus have, to accept eproms. Do I need an adaptor from the ostrich to this 32 pin socket?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    curious - for those using an ostrich with mptune. i have never had any feedback on how the realtime tuning actually works. i assume you are able to make cal changes and update the table to the ecu without an issue? i only ever bench tested it. or are you not using mptune to do the realtime updates? lmk.

to me, the pros of the ostrich are the real time updates, cons are that you cannot log with the ostrich. with a flashable chip you lose the real time updates (at least until rob and i can figure out a way to do this) but it still is very easy to flash the ecu and be able to also log using mpscan/mpscandroid.
    MPTune and the Ostrich works well. You can select (forget what it's called) in the Ostrich software and every time you save it, it automatically updates the Ostrich with your changes. I have a Snap-on Solus Pro to data log.

Hold on, you can't use MPScan with the Ostrich?! If that is the case, that would explain why it's not working with my setup. Why doesn't it work?

turbo addict

I use MPtune to open the cal, then I use EmUtility to update the ostrich.

http://emutility.software.informer.com/1.0/

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SactoShadow View Post
    I just looked at the SBEC latch adapter board on boostbutton (your site right?) and it looked a little different from what I have.

This is what both of my ecus have, to accept eproms. Do I need an adaptor from the ostrich to this 32 pin socket?
    That's just a socket. You need the adapter board to run the Ostrich.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    MPTune and the Ostrich works well. You can select (forget what it's called) in the Ostrich software and every time you save it, it automatically updates the Ostrich with your changes. I have a Snap-on Solus Pro to data log.
    thx. mptune allows you to update the ostrich without using the emutility software. when you make changes to a bin you should be able to click on the little ostrich button and it should update the ostrich immediately. also there is a setting in the program settings that will auto update the ostrich when a change is made. also, you can directly flash the entire bin to the ostrich similar to a flashable ecu.

i'm curious how the snap on tool allows you to data log.

Hold on, you can't use MPScan with the Ostrich?! If that is the case, that would explain why it's not working with my setup. Why doesn't it work?
    for some reason the ostrich would not allow direct access to the ram locations. shelgame could probably add more clarification to this. i imagine the ram is in a unique location onboard the ecu.

i am curious how the snap on tool works. i probably need to spend some time on this again. i'm thinking maybe when i first tested this i was still using the hi-speed interrupt hack that was popular way back when which directly accessed the ram. i believe i'm just using the drb protocol now which looks up the ram info for you. hmmm...... i need to get the ostrich out again......

------------edit-------------
    if i recall correctly, the 68hc11a8 chip has its own internal ram that will overlay the ram on an external chip (i.e. the ostrich, a regular chip, etc). when i first tested the ostrich i was trying to read the ram addresses directly off the ostrich, not realizing they were not accessible/valid since the ecu internal ram took precedence. my guess now is that you will need to use the ftdi cable as normal to access the ecu's internal ram, where the program data is being stored. so theoretically, you would have the ostrich plugged in to flash/read the binary and a regular ftdi cable plugged in to read the ram locations.
    Last edited by wowzer; 05-07-2014 at 11:57 PM.

turbo addict

wowzer

Any way you can make the UNDO button work even after the file is saved in MPtuner? Often time I made a change and if I find out I don't like it, I have to close it up, load up the backup file and open them all again... a undo that will work after the file is saved will make tuning much easier.

Plus, I don't think the current undo button actually do anything.

let me think about that. the way it works now is that when a cal is loaded i create a copy of all the tables and that is what is displayed and modified. when the cal is actually saved, i update the original tables with the copy and start fresh (e.g. reset various 'modified' flags, etc). i suppose i could keep the original tables no matter what until the cal is actually closed. ...........

the undo button typically was set up to work with text fields, e.g. table descriptions. since you can "reset" a table i never did much with the undo. i did think at one time of having an undo similar to excel, word, etc but i determined the overhead cost was alot more that the benefit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast