Thread: evaporator core ID help

turbo addict

evaporator core ID help

I ordered an evaporator core from rock auto for my 87 t&c but it does not fit. The part number they sent is 54110 this has the inlet/outlet flange at an angle to the core. My core is straight and smaller than the one they sent. I tried to match it up using the four Seasons ecatalog but I don't see one that matches. Does anyone know how to identify the correct core? I'll update with pictures in a bit. The only number I could find on the original is 41067 but that is too short for any of the chrysler part numbers listed. Any help appreciated, thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	49696   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	49697  

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: evaporator core ID help

I have yet to get an aftermarket evaporator core fit as well as the original. If it's close, you're probably going to have to make it work because it's probably the only one available. It would be best (for us) if you could take side by side pictures with the the measurements for both. Also if the outlets are at an angle, you can usually bend them enough to get them to line up the way you need them too.

turbo addict

I might be able to bend the outlet but the unit is physically too big. I'll take pics of both tomorrow.

turbo addict

Looking at the 4 seasons catalog it looks like the closest is 54107 although the listed length dimension is longer than the actual measurement. if I compare the 54110 measurements to my original the difference in the listed measurements makes the 54107 a close match. I don't see any other listing that is close with the same design and block orientation. Thoughts?

Another thing, you might have to try different sources. There are two companies that I use for AC stuff. I had a hard time tracking down an evaporator one time. Out of the blue a rep for a third AC component supplier dropped off a flyer. I called them and they had it. The first two companies had the same supplier where the third used someone different. You might have to do some leg work to find the one you need.

turbo addict

Could you give me the name of the third party vendor? I bought this through rock auto and the only thing they show is 4 seasons. All of the parts stores also list the 54110 as the replacement but it is not the correct one for the t&c wagon. Customer support references front and rear ac for my application but I know the wagon did not have that option.

My vendors are local to me, Hawks Radiator, Performance Radiator, and I can't think of the third one. I don't order online or out of state for my customers because I don't want to have to deal with shipping something back.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    My vendors are local to me, Hawks Radiator, Performance Radiator, and I can't think of the third one. I don't order online or out of state for my customers because I don't want to have to deal with shipping something back.
    That's where I am at now they don't seem willing to accept the part is wrong.

turbo addict

Ok, the "replacement" is 54109 and it looks like you must do some sort of conversion to make it work, looks like it's for the lbody. I ended up making a leak tester out of the old expansion valve by drilling/tapping for 3/4 and 1/4 pipe. No leaks in my core using shop air pressure so going to reuse it. Took me forever to get all of the debris out of the core.

boostaholic

Why not go to a local radiator shop. Maybe they can make you one or test yours and fix it.

turbo addict

No need I tested it already back in the car