Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: '85 Shelby Charger (Never Ending Project)

Hybrid booster

Re: '85 Shelby Charger (Never Ending Project)

Got the car running fairly decent now, still has a slight stumble on 1st take off & if you let off the gas slightly, when you press on the gas lightly there is a slight stumble each time. The other issue is you have to be gentle with the throttle on acceleration, if you press the gas pedal to fast or to far it just wants to die out. Going to work on it some more today, after I get the calipers repainted & the refurbished wheels & new tires on it.

Hybrid booster

Got the calipers repainted and the newly refurbished wheels & new tires on it. Tomorrow evening pictures with the center caps on the wheels.

Hybrid booster

El Toro cruise in tonight.

Hybrid booster

Well, just when I thought things were going good! It was running ok, then 2 days ago, I get a call from the wife saying she heard a pop, then she heard something dragging. Had her send me a picture of what was dragging, one of the gas tank straps snapped. Then she said it was leaking gas, turned out when I went to rescue her, it wasn't gas, but a cracked brake line.

Hybrid booster

Yesterday I got the new gas tank straps and started tearing it apart, didn't help she just filled it up. Got everything disconnected and ready to drop the tank. Finished repainting her front air dam, not a perfect paint job, but looks much better than the cracked and chipped paint.

Hybrid booster

Today I got the gas tank out cleaned up and reintalled. Still trying to get the brake line replaced, spent an hour bending the new line, now I can't get the old line off. I'll continue on it tomorrow.
    Last edited by 82 Rampage; 06-20-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Hybrid booster

Got the brake line and hose replaced, she's back on the road. All I need to do now is get the small stumble out of it and get the egual length cv axle rebuild and back in it. All I can say is holy crap this things quick. Today is the 1st time I've really driven it much since I got it together. I'm sure it will outrun mine.

Hybrid booster

Had a very successful test of the car this past weekend, drove it to SDAC 24 and a return trip down through Indiana & Kentucky to visit with family for a total of just over 1500 miles in 4 day. Even had an empty new section of I69 where she took it up to 105 mph (lost her nerve to go faster) with no problems.

Hybrid booster

Pulled the spoiler off to reseal around the bolts to keep water out of the hatch and found that both end mounts had broken loose. Had to reattach those before putting it back on. Got it all back together an mounting bolt holes should now be sealed.

Hybrid booster

Haven't had time to do much lately. Did fix the drivers inside door latch. For some reason it just stopped opening from inside. Took the door apart and didn't really find anything other than it just wasn't pushing the little lever up quite far enough. A little bit of manipulating with a rewdriver and now it works great. One thing I did see, and it makes her window squeal when she rolls it up or down is the little nylon or plastic ring on the bottom of the track is all broken and fell out. The one that goes around the big round guide rod. Any ideas where I could get a new one, or what to use to fix it?

Hybrid booster

Got the pcv lines all run correctly now so it doesn't blow that little bit of oil out the dipstick tube. Cleaned the engine and took it for a drive. No oil coming out now.

Hybrid booster

Today didn't go so well, just when I was starting to feel that it was getting reliable, it just cut off 30 miles from the house, it would crank over, but not start. No fuel pump running. She stayed with the car while I headed home to get the truck & trailer. Just before I got home, the wife called saying that she forgot that the key was on and all of a sudden she heard the pump prime. I had her try to start it, it fires up. I had her drive it to a parking lot to get it off the road side. I got back to her with the truck & trailer and it fired right up. I followed her all the way home. I haven't started troubleshooting yet but I'm suspecting speed sensor, because I did notice Thursday it started not idling below 2k until you come to a complete stop. Still doing that. I'll mess with it later.

Hybrid booster

Got the wife's car running again, did a tune up on it but it was the hep that went bad, became intermittent. If there is any shaft play in the distributor, will that cause heps to go bad? It's gone through 2 hep's in the past year. Installed a manual heater cutoff valve so I can turn of the hot water through the heater core during the summer.
    Last edited by 82 Rampage; 08-28-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Hybrid booster

Drove her car to work today, was in a hurry on the way home. Got to play a little, very squirrely on wet roads. Cruising through Munford, goosed it in 3rd and easily broke loose & got squirrely. Got out of town and was playing around and easily hit 14 lbs boost and never cut out.

Hybrid booster

Upgraded her charging system with a new 120 amp Denso alternator. Lights don't dim so much now if you have the heat or wipers on. Didn't know it was doing that so bad till I drove it at night.
    Last edited by 82 Rampage; 11-06-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Hybrid booster

Made a new intake tube for it.
    Before

After

Hybrid booster

Replaced driver side outside door handle. Got almost all of the new stereo wiring done today. Sounds great, just have to get everything put back together and mount the usb & aux ports and the Bluetooth Mic. Wife should be happy now, although I may have to add deadening mat to the car to stop the rattling. Most of the rattling I think is coming from her louvers though. Saturday it'll be finished.

Hybrid booster

Finished the upgrades to her headlights and finished installing her new stereo with amps & subwoofer.

Hybrid booster

Cleaned the engine bay, started it and moved it, no problem. After washing and drying the car and getting it ready for the cruise in, it started then died and wouldn't restart. Had to change the HEP.
    Last edited by 82 Rampage; 04-16-2015 at 03:42 PM.

Hybrid booster

Spend the day working on repainting the rear bumper. Had many spots where the paint was cracking and chipping off. Let it dry till next week and the wet sand it and buff it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast