Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: '85 Shelby Charger (Never Ending Project)

Hybrid booster

'85 Shelby Charger (Never Ending Project)

Started this project a year & a half back. Bought the car thinking the turbo was bad, still working on it. Started out like this.

boostaholic

Re: '85 Shelby Charger (Never Ending Project)

I recognize that car
    Been a while since I've seen it.

I do too...it's been at a few SDAC's.

Hybrid booster

Planning on bringing it to SDAC this year.

Hybrid booster

I'll try to do some more posting on what's been done to it since I got it later tonight and some pictures.

Hybrid booster

Ok, finally got the car drivable, so now I can put a little history about this project up here. As some of you have said they remember this car, you probably do, I bought it from a member on this forum. I picked it up about a year and a half back with what I thought was a bad turbo, but after changing the turbo, it still smoked real bad constantly. Pulled the motor and put a new long block in for an '88 daytona. After I got that all back together I spent three month trying to get spark to the motor, between working and other things going on. Finally got that somewhat working so it would run, but it still smoked really bad. Rebuilt the original turbo and swap it to the car. Still smoked really bad and would go into overboost way to soon, sometimes @ just 1lb of boost, so I bought a 3rd turbo, low miles on it with no shaft play. Still smoked real bad. Pulled the motor & tranny, starting to get good @ that by the way. Pulled the suck through intake and over the top intercooler off and converted it to a blow through system with a fmic. Finally got it back together and running friday, took it for a test drive, shut it off in town and it wouldn't restart, started to crank over, then lost all power to the engine compartment. Got it towed home, then the next night did some testing and found 3 of the 6 fusable links open. Last night I cut out all the fusable links and I installed a temporary fuse block to get it back on the road till I find a better block that I like. Took it for a test drive this evening, runs better than it did, but still has a stumble and goes in to overboost to soon. The smoke is all but gone now, may need new seals in this turbo, but at least it is just minimal and drivable. And some of it may still be burning out of the muffler, since the prior turbo I took off I dumped the oil out of the output of the compressor side of the turbo. Now I just need to work on the overboosting, I have a new cal chip from boost button to try in it, so hopefully that will help that problem.

Hybrid booster

Tried to put in the 2 chip cal today, ran fine on the test drive with it all hanging loose, the when I put everything back together it wouldn't start. Put the original lm back on, car starts fine. That sucks, because the 2 chip cal ran much better.

Hybrid booster

Did a little bit of cleaning in the engine compartment & took a few pictures.

Hybrid booster

Got the overflow tank mounted on it today.

Wow Joe that looks really good! Running ok or are you still breaking it in?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Motor is already broke in, but I still have the problem with over boosting with under 5lbs of boost & you can't just stomp on the throttle, if you go more than half throttle, instantly falls flat. It has a new tps. She has been driving it the past 3 nights though.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Wow Joe that looks really good! Running ok or are you still breaking it in?
    Thanks, it took a while, but I don't like doing things half a$$.

Hybrid booster

Gave it a much needed bath!

Hybrid booster

Worked on it some more today, reworked some of the vacuum lines. Took Jons advice, found the little spider looking vacuum fitting and put it on for all the small vacuum lines, the reconnected the pcv valve back to the intake like is suppose to be. Drivability is getting better, now I just need to put the new map sensor connector on it and move the wires around for the external 2bar map, I try to get that done tomorrow. At least I can fairly consistantly hit 5lbs of boost now before it goes in to overboost.

Hybrid booster

These wheels are only temperary while I re-polish the others.

Glad it's running better now. Don't forget to come by tomorrow with Kelvie (sp?).
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

About mid morning if thats good. I think I may drive hers to the cruise-in tonight, so I can put some more test miles on it.

Hybrid booster

After driving it a couple times @ watching the afr, it finally hit me like a brick wall why her car had to crank longer to start ever since we got it than mine does, & sometimes not start at all. Low fuel pressure, put the Walbro pump I bought a while back for mine and haven't had time to install yet on hers, fires right up. Yea, one more issue solved. Just need to mount the pump now.

Joe did that help with your cutout issue? Maybe you weren't getting enough fuel and that had something to do with it? Just thinking out loud.

Hybrid booster

Still have to mount the pump under the car, I'll do that Wednesday when I'm off & let you know. Hopefully it will.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast