Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lean #1 cylinder, not fuel or electrical. Waht's left?!!

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Lean #1 cylinder, not fuel or electrical. Waht's left?!!

#1 is much leaner than the other cylinders. I'm using NGK 6's in three cylinders and a 9 in #1.
    I've replaced everything electrical from the SBEC to the injector, including SBEC, all wiring, connectors, injector (3 times), fuel lines and rail. There is no fuel or electrical item left to change. So, is there any mechanical possibility? Compression is even across the cylinders. Totaly stumped. I asked my Pastor to do an exorcism, but he thinks I'm joking.
    Last edited by John B; 04-14-2014 at 04:35 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Lean #1 cylinder, not fuel or electrical. Waht's left?!!

Have you tried moving injectors from cylinder to cylinder? Why are you using a different plug in one cylinder?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

What is the vacuum reading at idle and is it steady? I see you list a ported intake was it welded and then ported? Wondering if you dont have a crack in the #1 runner as it sounds like you've proved everything else out.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    What is the vacuum reading at idle and is it steady? I see you list a ported intake was it welded and then ported? Wondering if you dont have a crack in the #1 runner as it sounds like you've proved everything else out.
    It's 18 at idle, which is the best it's ever been since new.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Have you tried moving injectors from cylinder to cylinder? Why are you using a different plug in one cylinder?
    Yes, I've changed injectors around and replaced injectors. I have a cold plug in #1 because it is so lean. A 9 reads OK but a 6 is chalk white, The other cylinders are perfect with 6s.
    Last edited by John B; 04-14-2014 at 01:01 PM.

You guys are going to think I'm playing silly games here, but this whole thing started when #4 cylinder went lean suddenly. I pulled the injectors and sure enough #4 had high resistance. So I put a known good injector in at #4 and the problem moved to #1! I figured I had mistakenly put the bad injector back in so I put another known good injector in at #1 but there was no change. Since then I've lost count on how many times I have swapped injectors around (I threw the high resistance injector away). This is the first time I have ever been completely stumped (except with women..)

Any chance of oil or coolant finding its way into the cylinder causing deposits to form on the plug?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Any chance of oil or coolant finding its way into the cylinder causing deposits to form on the plug?
    I guess at this point I have to consider it a possibility, but I'm not losing any coolant that I can tell. I have considered putting my backup head on as a last resort.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

C'mon Todd, you're slipping This is an easy one Ported 2 piece, big throttle body, you picked up a ton of flow right? Unfortunately, the lions share of that flow increase is going allll the way to the end of that modded intake manifold and 'crashing' down the #1 runner. I'd bet if you had that manifold flowed, #1 is gonna waaaay outflow the others. Do the easiest thing and order an larger injector for that hole. How much larger can be a matter of debate... 5PPH, 8PPH? Dunno Flame away guys on why this is a bad idea

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

It's a bad idea only because it sounds like it's somehow electrically based because he changed 1 injector and the leanness switched holes. Not like he changed the manifold and all of a sudden that caused that hole to run lean. I see your reasoning but don't think it applies here.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    C'mon Todd, you're slipping This is an easy one Ported 2 piece, big throttle body, you picked up a ton of flow right? Unfortunately, the lions share of that flow increase is going allll the way to the end of that modded intake manifold and 'crashing' down the #1 runner. I'd bet if you had that manifold flowed, #1 is gonna waaaay outflow the others. Do the easiest thing and order an larger injector for that hole. How much larger can be a matter of debate... 5PPH, 8PPH? Dunno Flame away guys on why this is a bad idea
    The thing is, this #1 cylinder was fine before with the two-piece, and just went lean after I put a new injector in #4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    It's a bad idea only because it sounds like it's somehow electrically based because he changed 1 injector and the leanness switched holes. Not like he changed the manifold and all of a sudden that caused that hole to run lean. I see your reasoning but don't think it applies here.
    And now everything electrical has been changed out.

turbo addict

Have you verified fuel pressure under load?

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Did the lean issue on #1 coincide with changing out the intake manifold?

Are you checking the plugs only under a WOT blast?

A bunch of part throttle running could give bad info.

Could be a vacuum leak at the manifold gasket at #1 causing a part throttle lean condition localized to that cylinder. Or a bad injector O-ring. Injectors not seated correctly. Etc.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Have you verified fuel pressure under load?
    No, but the wideband read mid 10s at WOT.

Did the lean issue on #1 coincide with changing out the intake manifold? No, the manifold has been on for a couple of years now.

Are you checking the plugs only under a WOT blast? No, but I will. thanks for reminding me.

A bunch of part throttle running could give bad info. I've been putting a hundred miles or so on the plugs, both autobahn and city, and then looking at them.

Could be a vacuum leak at the manifold gasket at #1 causing a part throttle lean condition localized to that cylinder. Or a bad injector O-ring. Injectors not seated correctly. Etc.I understand how a bad o ring would leak, but how would it create a lean condition? Anyway, I've swapped injectors around countless times now.
    I'm trying to answer each point of each question so you'll have the most complete picture. Thanks for the help!

turbo addict

Have you inspected the fuel rail? Only thing I can think of is a blockage of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I understand how a bad o ring would leak, but how would it create a lean condition? Anyway, I've swapped injectors around countless times now.
    A vacuum leak at a particular cylinder would cause that cylinder to ingest more air than the others, especially under high vacuum conditions.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Have you inspected the fuel rail? Only thing I can think of is a blockage of some kind.
    Yes, took everything apart and blew out all passages. It's clear.

- - - Updated - - -

A vacuum leak at a particular cylinder would cause that cylinder to ingest more air than the others, especially under high vacuum conditions.
    How can I check for that?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Yes, took everything apart and blew out all passages. It's clear.

- - - Updated - - -

How can I check for that?
    You can use brake clean or propane and spray around the suspected area ifyou note a change in rpm you found a leak. Aren't the stock fuel rails a tube inside a tube? Could the inner tube be loose at that end?

You can use brake clean or propane and spray around the suspected area ifyou note a change in rpm you found a leak. Aren't the stock fuel rails a tube inside a tube? Could the inner tube be loose at that end?
    It's a FWDP rail.
    Last edited by John B; 04-19-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast