Thread: 87 CSX Rear Rotors

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

87 CSX Rear Rotors

Where do I find them? I need to replace my rear brakes and rotors in the worse way and cannot find the rotors at all.

Thanks!
    Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: 87 CSX Rear Rotors

Talking out loud here.. are they the same as an 87/88 disc brake setup or something totally one-of created by the Shelby conversion?

Hybrid booster

I think the csx rear discs are different than the Shelby z (Solid and vented) rear discs. I remember looking for them for a friend a few years back and it turns out they are specific to that vehicle for those years.(Prototype design?) If I remember correctly, the easiest route is to swap to the daytona rear disc setup, and we got the rotors turned as a stop gap.

I think your only chance will be the dealer

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

i might have a new set of rear shoes still in the box somewhere i can look for it, if that helps you. i'll sell'em cheap if i still got them
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Where do I find them? I need to replace my rear brakes and rotors in the worse way and cannot find the rotors at all.

Thanks!
    Frank
    On my CSX they are right behind the back wheels. Once you get the wheels off you should see them.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember reading something many years ago about neon rear rotors being a possible replacement, has anyone tried them?
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

To answer the question at hand, my rotors are usually sandwiched between two friction type pieces that are hidden behind a hydraulic press type of thing.

IIRC Rich Bryant was the one behind the possible Neon replacement stuff.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I would avoid the 87 or 88 rears and change them to either the 89-94 non vented rotor brakess or 2Gen neon rear brakes. Overall it will be cheaper in the long run (and probably the short run too).

The 1G neon brakes can also work but they have a stamped steel backing plate that is heavier and can get bent up, etc.

If you use the Neon rear brakes you will have to:

1) Enlarge the Center hole for the axle stub (the neon stub is smaller but the bolt holes will line up)
    2) Grind the top rear corners of your axle down so that they clear the Neon Ebrake connection.

There is a thread somewhere showing it.

I chose to use '89-94 non vented backing plates with a 85-87 rear drum hub. This allows me to use the slightly taller Neon rotors with the 89-94 backing plates due to the slightly deeper spacing of the rear drum hub... I find the 89-94 non vented brakes common enough to avoid the machine work to adapt the Neon rears. It still lets me run whatever Neon/SRT4 rotor I want and gives me the Neon/SRT4 caliper options on a part that doesn't wear out and just fits. If you can't find the 89-94 stuff then the Neon adaptation isn't that bad.

If you want more rear brakes then you can just use Dynasty/Intrepid/SRT4 36mm rotors instead of the non vented or Neon 34mm calipers. I don't see a benefit from going with the vented rotors which are going to become harder to find and weigh a lot more. There is a KC article about this.

Here is an article with 2G neon rear brakes isntalled but it doesn't show the grinding for the hub:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...on+rear+brakes
    -Rich

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Assuming the '87 rears are the same as the '88 CSX, I got mine at Napa for an '89 Shadow with rear discs. Best I can tell, the CSX rear brakes were prototypes for the '89-up Dodge cars.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Assuming the '87 rears are the same as the '88 CSX, I got mine at Napa for an '89 Shadow with rear discs. Best I can tell, the CSX rear brakes were prototypes for the '89-up Dodge cars.
    Good point, if they have the internal rear drum parking brake then they are the same as the 89+ and all is good.

If they have the weird parking brake cable connection to a lever on the calipers then you are better off upgrading to the newer style IMO. It is much better to be able to run neon calipers and rotors which are available and any parts store if anything fails. The 87 rear brakes used to be a challenge to find at times 10 years ago.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Good point, if they have the internal rear drum parking brake then they are the same as the 89+ and all is good.

If they have the weird parking brake cable connection to a lever on the calipers then you are better off upgrading to the newer style IMO. It is much better to be able to run neon calipers and rotors which are available and any parts store if anything fails. The 87 rear brakes used to be a challenge to find at times 10 years ago.

-Rich
    The odd '87/'88 brakes with the lever on the caliper were found on the Shelby Z Daytonas. The '87/'88 Shelby cars were a completely different set up from the '87/'88 Dodge cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    The odd '87/'88 brakes with the lever on the caliper were found on the Shelby Z Daytonas. The '87/'88 Shelby cars were a completely different set up from the '87/'88 Dodge cars.
    Yea I forgot about that until Adam pointed it out. I think they are just '89 brakes.

In which case the KC article should apply: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...-Brake-Options

-Rich

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    On my CSX they are right behind the back wheels. Once you get the wheels off you should see them.
    Wow... i like to think I am pretty good at sarcasm. You have humbled me.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Yea I forgot about that until Adam pointed it out. I think they are just '89 brakes.

In which case the KC article should apply: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...-Brake-Options

-Rich
    The exception is the mounting hardware for the calipers. The CSX used the same bolts and sliders as the older front brakes; the '89-up Dodges upgraded to the better design.

I will give 89 Shadow rear rotors a try then based on what I am reading.
    Frank Katzenberger

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

So the 89 calipers worked. Thanks!

Now for another hard question. I need to replace two caliper pins. Looking at RockAuto under 87 Shadow, there is a lot of caliper pins to choose from. I know the DORMAN Part # 13894 are a bit too short and have the wrong threads. Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

Hmmm. On mine, the pins are similar style to the front pins used on older cars, but now that you mention it I do think they were different threads. Rock Auto lists a bunch of options, but the only ones I see that specify rear calipers besides those Dormans don't have a picture and sound like the later style setup which I don't think will thread into your backing plate. You may have to take your old ones into a parts store and match them up. Shoot for a store where they have and know how to read parts catalogs; I've a feeling the computers might not get you too far.