Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to tell if Shelby Limited Slip

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: How to tell if Shelby Limited Slip

Don't know for sure or if it adds anything to this thread Joe, but Tim P. told me 20+ years ago that the Chicklett LSD's were made by Saines out of Florida. Shelby's peeps did some testing on these units installed in 525's where they put one wheel on dirt/sand and one wheel on dry pavement and did a high RPM clutch drop. Dunno how many times they tried that but the result more than once was a split trans case . Too bad, how sweet would it be if all GLHS's got an LSD from the Whittier plant

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Mike
    Mike the claw and pawl doesn't wear out. The only weird thing with the C&P design it sounds funny sometimes when making left turn under heavy throttle. Mine was in my SC for 20+ years with no signs of distress. Are you confusing that with the Phantom grip? Those wear out and lose their effectiveness, not this one.
    Mike Bachman told me a million years ago of a couple or few LSD's for 555's that sold through Shelby dealership. I do know of one GLHS that has one installed with a555. Entire tranny came came Whittier plant. If memory serves me diff was part Siemens and part Dana. Then there was the Future Auto clutch type LSD's.
    Here is a couple other pics of yet another LSD for our cars from WAY back in the day. I don't know much about this one either except it was installed in either a a525 or a465 4 speed. Looks like it had a rough life. I sent these pics to Cliff Ramsdell years ago and he said he has seen a few of these too. Can't remember what they were called. Guy that owned this raced ice and road rally stuff in L-bodies in WI and MN.
    Todd
    Todd, I'm coming by your house some time to get a tour of the spare parts in your garage. You seem to have one of every unique piece for our cars.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Todd, I'm coming by your house some time to get a tour of the spare parts in your garage. You seem to have one of every unique piece for our cars.
    Let's carpool.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

I have a diff in a box (it belongs to Tim P). It is a Shelby unit that is a clutch type diff. I was told it was made from a Dana unit (from a Jeep) with the axle inserts for our axles welded in. It is for a 525 trans, which I was told was the only trans they were made for. I don't know how many were made or if they were sold to the public by Shelby at all.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've have one of the Shelby chicklet types in the hybrid 525 that Cliff Ramsdell built for my GLHS. Same as the first pics Todd posted. Sometimes at low speeds, for example a turn in traffic, the chicklets stick in the locked position and you get the inside wheel fighting the outside wheel but then it releases and all is fine. Also, it sometimes has a moment of lag to it; one wheel starts to spin before the chicklets fall into place and lock the other side. On the track it works beautifully.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Barry, I seem to recall seeing the Dana variant in a catalog, black and white picture, with a price tag that, at the time, made me put it out of my mind as a possibility, but I've always though about making one myself, just never knew what the OE application was ...

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Barry, I seem to recall seeing the Dana variant in a catalog, black and white picture, with a price tag that, at the time, made me put it out of my mind as a possibility, but I've always though about making one myself, just never knew what the OE application was ...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Let's carpool.
    Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Some of my buddies have already volunteered to help wife "clean out all the junk" in the attic, garage, basement, and shed of my home when I kack. Those guys are so thoughtful... It's like the buzzards are circling. hehe
    Todd

Garrett booster

Thanks all for the information,and pictures !
    Guess this was a hot topic by the replies.

Will be inspecting 89 CSX # 53 with a microscope,within the next couple of weeks.
    Surely it would be exciting to see anything special ( since its a factory test car ).

Joe

turbo addict

Is it drivable? Go around a corner, maybe you can hear it.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Some of my buddies have already volunteered to help wife "clean out all the junk" in the attic, garage, basement, and shed of my home when I kack. Those guys are so thoughtful... It's like the buzzards are circling. hehe
    Todd
    We're offering to do it now, no questions asked.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12