Thread: Surging power like ign is turning on and off but keeps running/accelerating

Hybrid booster

Surging power like ign is turning on and off but keeps running/accelerating

Hey gang, I've got a 2.5T2 Mitsu with Boostbutton SMEC in my Dakota, lately it's been running odd. It starts and runs fine but maintaining speed it feels like the ignition cuts partially out. It will rev and boost but it feels flat, and then suddenly it will surge and run peppy before there's any boost. Kind of like if you road a dirtbike down a hill and kill the ignition with it in gear, it rolls at the same speed and if you open the throttle it sounds like its accellerating.... turn on the ign and it surges up to speed.

I'm wondering if I've an electrical gremlin with a weak ground causing this. Because since this started my turn signal causes the temp gauge to pulse in time with the blinker. Charging system shows weird too, gauge says it's closer to L than H but a vom shows 15.54 or better.

Engine doesn't die, it will accelerate just not the peppy rev I've been used to the last 10k

Any ideas?

Thanks

turbo addict

Re: Surging power like ign is turning on and off but keeps running/accelerating

my car was doing something like that, it was just sluggish, sometimes fine sometimes real shitty. turns out the female connectors for the HEP at the distributor was intermittent. in my case it was the orange wire on the gray plug, this is the 6volt sensor power lead. it would run but gutless at higher rpm.

I ended up swapping better condition plugs in place.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

thanks racc, I've had issues with them in the past - of course you can't find that problem when you're under the hood with it idling in the driveway!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Also check your electrical contacts to the ignition coil. My Daytona had been having bad stumbling issues, turned out the sockets in the ignition coil's weatherpak connector were wallowed out and losing contact (solid state coil). Crimped on new connectors and it's been fine since.

The alternator issue makes me wonder if you might have a loose ground though.

Hybrid booster

Looks like it was the wiring for the ford coil I swapped in - tape came off my wire splice (primary side) and it'd ground on the valve cover. I re-taped and put split loom over it, I hope that does it.

Tape?

Hybrid booster

yeah I know but what're you going to do in sub-zero outdoor quick fix? The re-tape/splitloom was a side of the road repair yesterday with my sons. Now that it's warming up and raining I plan on changing & flushing the coolant and crimping new weatherpac's in place. (I didn't want to cut the ends of the harness to splice into the ford coil collar if that didn't solve the ignition issue so twist and tape got it going... and thus the proper repair was sidelined in favor of six kids, five projects for the wife, helping my parents and doing several side jobs....)

Ok, I'll give you that one. Heck, I once fixed a very similar problem on the side of the road with a staple pulled out of a pizza receipt. I've just seen too many cars with frighteningly shoddy electrical repairs, and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Hybrid booster

you know how it its, the shoemaker's kids running around barefoot.

Hybrid booster

2 mornings wouldn't start so yesterday I cut and crimped weatherproof connectors to the coil/adapter and it's running much smoother.... maybe my mpg will go up now. Still have the charging extremes and the temp gauge pulses with turn signal or bass when the stereo's cranked.

I did notice an improvement in fuel mileage when I fixed my ignition coil connection. For the charging issues I'd start with the grounds. I don't know much about aftermarket stereos but you may need to upgrade the alternator if you're running a lot of equipment.

Hybrid booster

That's the thing, same stereo (Pioneer) and nothing's changed except the charging - new alt 1 yr ago and now all of a sudden I'm getting the erratic charging, I figure this winter's salt has corroded my grounds so I've got to find time to clean and seal them (I use that battery terminal sealer spray).

Also you can try putting a ground cable from the alternator body to the engine block. That has helped my cars in the past.