Thread: Wipers stopped working '91 Shadow

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Wipers stopped working '91 Shadow

The wipers just suddenly quit while i was washing squished bugs off on the autobahn. The washers still work. There is no power to the motor, and none to the wiper fuse. I assume it's the switch? How hard is it to replace the wiper switch on a '91 Shadow? Is there any intermediate relay between the switch and motor that might be the cause?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Re: Wipers stopped working '91 Shadow

Try adding a ground from the wiper motor to the body...9x out of 10, that does it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Try adding a ground from the wiper motor to the body...9x out of 10, that does it.
    For sure. There is only a little copper ribbon that connects the motor via the bracket to the body. It is attached to the sleeve in the rubber bushing and it often fails. I've found that a 10ga wire run from one of the bolts that holds the motor to the bracket to a strut hat stud will fix them and cause better wiper operation than ever before.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    For sure. There is only a little copper ribbon that connects the motor via the bracket to the body. It is attached to the sleeve in the rubber bushing and it often fails. I've found that a 10ga wire run from one of the bolts that holds the motor to the bracket to a strut hat stud will fix them and cause better wiper operation than ever before.
    I had to do exactly that when I was putting my shadow back together after a paint job. wipers work really well now.

But there is no power going to the motor? I pulled the connector off of the motor and ran the engine, turned on the wiper switch and checked for voltage at the connector and there is none. I also checked at the fuse block and there is no voltage to the wiper fuse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

You checked the connector by touching the meter to it and a good ground? If there really is no power to it then I would check for power at the switch from the nearest point to the battery and work my way to the motor.

You checked the connector by touching the meter to it and a good ground? If there really is no power to it then I would check for power at the switch from the nearest point to the battery and work my way to the motor.
    I put a meter lead to both sides of the connector. No good? I need to go from the positive side of the connector to ground?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I put a meter lead to both sides of the connector. No good? I need to go from the positive side of the connector to ground?
    It grounds through the physical connection to the body. A multimeter reads a difference in voltage. If both terminals you touched were hot, and I believe they should have been, then you would have read 0v. Do the test again using a good ground on the body etc.

It grounds through the physical connection to the body. A multimeter reads a difference in voltage. If both terminals you touched were hot, and I believe they should have been, then you would have read 0v. Do the test again using a good ground on the body etc.
    Ah! I'll try as you say and see what happens. Thanks!

Yes! I put a ground strap to the motor mount and it works! You guys are great.

Glad that worked out. I had the hardest time with my firs wiper motor. I didn't understand that it grounded through the body so I was trying to figure out how the ground in the connector was powered all the time. That one wasn't fun.