Thread: non common block to common block

Hybrid booster

non common block to common block

hey guys, lost compression in my motor in the 86 600, so I'm dropping in a rebuilt CB motor. I wanted to make sure everything from the non common block motor would work/fit on the common block. I plan to re-use the I-shaft for the oil pump, Water pump, Power steering, alternator and all pulleys and sprockets.

I know the newer water pumps spin the opposite direction, so I'd like to make sure everything will work correctly.

turbo addict

Re: non common block to common block

I think the crank pulley may be a different bolt pattern

turbo addict

Take the short block, and bolt on all your accessories from your old motor. Use the CB intermediate shaft and it's round tooth gear or put the round tooth gear on your old I-shaft, Put a 89+ turbo round tooth gear on the cam and go.

turbo addict

Crank pulley from CB will need to be used as Wallace stated in post 2, along with what Jay noted. You will need to tap lip on oil pan or notch slightly for early WP to fit on CB motor.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

the head i have does not have the round tooth gear. Can I use the cam sprocket, I-shaft gear and crank pulley from the old motor?
    And If I was to install CB water pump, can i just swap the pulley's and use all my old accerories with the new water pump?

My last question is, when I go to drop the block into the car, do I have to set it to top dead center and have torque converter at the 0 (TDC)?

turbo addict

Okay Moe, if you have a common block, you need to run a common block crank gear. This is 5 bolt, and round tooth (with exception of Masi 16V). Not talking about the pulley. Your crank gear on your 86 motor is 4 hole, square tooth, and wrong crank snout diameter. It won't bolt up to the common block. So you need to run a round tooth timing belt and 5 bolt crank pulley. That means the aux. shaft sprocket, cam sprocket, and crank gear sprocket all need to be round tooth. the aux shaft itself is interchangable. There are several slightly different crank pulleys so stick with what came with your CB motor. Easy to get screwed up on this mixing and matching parts. If using common block waterpump. You must use CB waterpump housing, long lower attachment bolt, and CCW smooth pulley.
    You can set timing marks up while motor is not in vehicle. It is usually easier to do so anyway. This means setting oil pump phasing, tiiming marks on cam pulley, aux shaft pulley and crank gear. Pop in distributor but before you do check to make sure rotor is pointing at #1 cylinder on cap and if you have correctly phased the oil pump, the oil pump drive slot will be parallel to centerline of crankshaft. If it is not, now is the time to correct it. I always leave motor at TDC so I can verify torque converter mark is sitting at zero in timing window. Sometimes when torque converter gets cut open and cleaned/rebuilt they don't always get TDC mark correctly positioned. On rare occasion the timing window could be off a little too.
    PS doesn't need to be changed. Same with alternator pulley or A/C pulley. Use your old stuff.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 04-09-2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarify

Hybrid booster

Thanks Todd, that answered all my previous questions and more. I didn't know that the crank gear was not interchangeable.
    I'll have to find a new crank pulley and a round tooth gear. You said there are several different crank pulley's, how the do i which one will work? My block is dated 10/18/88 if i remember correctly, so would another off a 88 CB work?
    And whats a CCW smooth pulley, just a smooth pulley right?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Your old water pump and housing will bolt up and you can use the old pulley and belt.

I've got extra common block crank pulleys and round-toothed cam/intermediate sprockets if you need them.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Your old water pump and housing will bolt up and you can use the old pulley and belt.
    just to clarify, you're talking about the water pump pulley right?

So if I used my old water pump with the old pulley, what kind/year crank pulley would I need?

and Adam as of now I think I need a round tooth crank gear, cam gear and a crank pulley that will work. price shipped to 44688 would be nice. And can you post the pic of the crank pulley here just confirm its the right one?

Thanks

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I'll have to round them all up, but I know I've got at least one or two of each of the cam sprocket and crank pulleys. I don't have any crank sprockets though.

And yes, you use your old water pump and ribbed pulley with the later crank pulley. That's how I've been running my Charger for years with no issue.

Hybrid booster

Awesome, thanks everyone!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    ... You will need to tap lip on oil pan or notch slightly for early WP to fit on CB motor.
    Todd
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Your old water pump and housing will bolt up and you can use the old pulley and belt....
    FYI as previously stated. The Masi 16V motors run this way. CB with early waterpump and ribbed pulley turning clockwise. I run L-bodies this way too.

When I mentioned CCW (counterclockwise) just confirming that smooth WP pulley runs reverse rotation from early pump. Look for normal CB crank pulley. Very common. 89-94 model year 2.2 or 2.5 5 bolt. They come two varieties with or without outer AC pulley. No early block, no 88 model year (late 88 CB casting will be fine), no 2.5 tall deck block crank pulley from any year. Just avoid 88 model year stuff. It is a transition year for many things as the CB was being fazed in and early block fazed out.
    If you don't have a crank gear on the crank, you are probably missing the CB bolt that holds it in place too. It is a larger diameter bolt than the early blocks. so you will need one of those as well. It is somewhat odd sized at 12 X 1.75 pitch X 75mm long. Timing belt covers are different too. Oh, use the CB tensioner also as there is about .125 to .156 difference in depth of tensioners. The CB being deeper. If you don't use Correct tensioner it will still work but your timing belt will be running on far inboard side of sprockets.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 04-09-2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added info