Thread: EGT Value?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

EGT Value?

Last summer the EGT gauge in my Charger started acting up and finally stopped working altogether. I ran through the bench test procedures tonight and confirmed that it is in fact dead. I finally purchased a wideband to install with the new engine, so my question is whether it's worth the ~$120 to replace the EGT or would you just do without?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: EGT Value?

If not running an EGT gauge I would want to monitor knock.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Last summer the EGT gauge in my Charger started acting up and finally stopped working altogether. I ran through the bench test procedures tonight and confirmed that it is in fact dead. I finally purchased a wideband to install with the new engine, so my question is whether it's worth the ~$120 to replace the EGT or would you just do without?
    Do you know if its the probe or the unit?

I looked up some test procedures for them, and the gauge itself is definately dead. I was able to register 16 milivolts from the thermocoupler, although it climbed very slowly. So it's probably not in great shape either. I can't complain too much, the gauge has a manufacturing date of the 43rd week of 2000. Either way, I went ahead and ordered a new gauge and thermocoupler this morning. It was actually $20 cheaper to order them separately than as a kit. It won't come with the extension cable, but that's fine. I've still got the old one wired into the car already.

As for monitoring knock, the Boost Button chip I'm putting in does have that feature. I'm also installing LED lighting throughout the dash so it should be fairly responsive.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The best possible combination IMO.

Hybrid booster

Out of curiosity, what are your EGTs? I'm getting mid 1300-1400 cruising on the highway with spikes up to 1600 under prolonged high boost - that's with the probe between the #3 & 4 cyls.

turbo addict

Whoa that is way too lean. What is your setup?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

I use this one
    http://www.motorsportsinnovations.com/EGT/egt.htm
    A GREAT tuning tool....if I have ANY of my cars at 1390 max they run dead on. Big digital readout with memory so I check it after the pass. I started using one way back in the early 90s when I was melting stuff in my nitrous fed GLH turbo. When old Matchbox sat for 4 1/2 years awaiting a drivetrain in went a 2.5 tall block. I started to drive it untested to Topeka, KS for our combination SDAC and SRT Nats race. I stopped 10 times to change jets on the way in the first 100 miles since the readings were getting into the dangerous point while on the interstate. Changed the jets one last time at the track and won the race and gamblers...finals was against a certain SDAC member driving a Yellow SRT4....FWD Performance...James. So...almost three years ago we swapped out that 89 tall block 2.5 to a low mile 2.5 common block. I used the EGT readings again to see that the secondary was now a bit too rich. Putting in a smaller secondary jet did the trick and last year went one size smaller yet with GREAT results in consistency...AND the tall block saw 27 mpg at 55 while the cb sees 29 on a regular basis. Another point to make...some time ago the non-feedback Holley carb finally died and on went the Weber 32/36 version. The EGT showed the temps ridiculously high and when I swapped the jets over from the Holley to the Weber with no changes the EGTs went back to the safe zone. I have saved a TON of money by not melting stuff anymore. The old GLH dropped from 14.0 to 11.89 best, a 98 SOHC Neon dropped from 14.80 to 12.19 best, and the wifes lowly Miata dropped from 15.80 to 12.65, all with ZERO damage with LOTS of spray. I like to keep Matchbox at under 1400 while hiway driving too, but the efi and turbo with efi cars ran much higher...sometimes over 1600 for the SRT4.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by gears351 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are your EGTs? I'm getting mid 1300-1400 cruising on the highway with spikes up to 1600 under prolonged high boost - that's with the probe between the #3 & 4 cyls.
    Way back when my gauge worked well, my readings were inverse of that. It would climb close to 1600 on highway cruising (while averaging over 30mpg), and drop down to 1200-1300 under WOT, and the narrowband reading .90-.93. I've got many changes taking place now so we'll see what happens.

Hybrid booster

I'm running a 2.5 Swirl head with mitsu turbo and a monster intercooler (saab 9000) and this is in a truck. It's a Boostbutton SMEC and cal and I keep it at 8psi boost (cal is good to 15psi). Stored code is it's running rich. I'm tempted to advance the cam a tooth because with the truck cogged pulleys it's supposedly 4* retarded right now with the 88tbi roller cam.