Thread: This blocked 62 liter per hour of fuel at 63psi fuel pressure.

turbo addict

This blocked 62 liter per hour of fuel at 63psi fuel pressure.

AJ's van was having fuel issue around 20 PSI of boost with E85, I suspected fuel flow issue. AJ ran the flow test on the van and number came out real low, so we took everything out and bench tested everything.

With a DW300 pump, 13.7V supply, and a fuel baffle that let gas in quick enough.

At 63psi fuel pressure, with the dirty sock, pump would only flow 193 liter per hour.

At 63psi fuel pressure, with a clean sock, pump flowed 255 liter per hour. Rare deals can always be seen on the Kroger Weekly Ad.

Dirty sock blocked 62 liter per hour of fuel! That's 25% of fuel blocked because of one dirty filter!
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 11-11-2020 at 12:55 PM.

turbo addict

Re: This blocked 62 liter per hour of fuel at 63psi fuel pressure.

How dirty was the inside of the tank. If it was bad I would almost consider replacing the tank or having it cleaned out.

Paul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    How dirty was the inside of the tank. If it was bad I would almost consider replacing the tank or having it cleaned out.

Paul
    I thought the tank was clean. It looked clean, no rust or chunks of stuff in there. The E85 must have stripped residue off that I didn't know was there. It's REAL clean now. So if you switch to E85, after running two tank fulls through, drop the tank and replace the sock.

turbo addict

Glad to hear you found the cause. Several of the people I know that have switched to E85 have used a tank or maybe two fine tuning the part throttle tune for this purpose. Low load so you don't hurt anything from lack of fuel and lots of sloshing around the tank to get crap loosened up and dissolved. That stuff CLEANS out your system, no matter how clean you thought was before. Be sure to change out the other filter soon as well.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Ethanol is destructive.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

E85 sounds like one heck of a parts cleaner

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

I read an article on e85 a while back and it said they had to replace the fuel filter every 10-15 hours of run time. Seems excessive but seeing how bad AJ's filter looked, it looks like it should be done pretty often.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Did you upgrade the soft rubber parts in the tank and pickup with ethanol proof stuff? I could see that grey stuff on your sock being residue from the fuel hose decaying.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    I read an article on e85 a while back and it said they had to replace the fuel filter every 10-15 hours of run time. Seems excessive but seeing how bad AJ's filter looked, it looks like it should be done pretty often.
    I'm going to be switching to a Bosch 044 pump and found a 75 micron stainless steel sock. When I switch pumps I'll check and report back on the condition of the sock that's in there now to see if this was a one time thing or if it will be an ongoing thing. I shouldn't have that problem with the 75 micron sock and I have a huge Bosch fuel filter inline so i shouldn't have to replace it that often.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Did you upgrade the soft rubber parts in the tank and pickup with ethanol proof stuff? I could see that grey stuff on your sock being residue from the fuel hose decaying.
    I ran into this problem with the higher ethanol. When my walbro pump went bad ( would all of a sudden loose pressure) in my van and I pulled it, the sock had some residue and the rubber hoses were very soft. Napa sells submersable fuel line. Its not cheap but necessairy. I highly recommend the Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump. Cindy sells them and they are a direct replacement except you need to get a replacement sock because the sock that comes with them will not fit. The pump is also much quieter than the 255 Walbro. I can barely hear it. I would clean out the tank very good. We ran into this problem years ago with Grand Cherokees. The gasoline blends were causing the plastic tanks to slowly break down and over time would clog the srainer and kill the pump. If you would replace the pump and not clean the the tank you can guarantee it would be back in a few weeks with a dead pump. The best fix was to pressure wash the tank.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

turbo addict

Why the switch to the 044 from the DW300?

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I used the 30R10 submersible fuel hose. The other rubber (sending unit o-rings, filler neck grommet, fuel pump noise/vibration dampener) are all the stock pieces and didn't show any signs of deterioration.

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    Why the switch to the 044 from the DW300?
    I bought the 044 pump because I was going to install it inline when I was losing volume not knowing it was the sock. Since I have it I'm going to use it. It's going to be a better pump to get me to my 350-400hp/12's second goal. And this from some testing we did trying to find the problem:

BOSCH 044, no filter
    43psi 284 Liter per Hour
    63psi 272 Liter per Hour
    77psi 250 Liter per Hour

New DW300, with Acura Integra filter
    43psi 306 Liter per Hour
    63psi 255 Liter per Hour
    77psi 232 Liter per Hour