Thread: Any Way To Fix A Talon BOV That Leaks?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Any Way To Fix A Talon BOV That Leaks?

Found my Talon BOV to be the culprit of slow spool up on the Rampage RT, I can actually hear it hissing during WOT spool up. 18-19 PSI boost is all I could get when racing/Dyno'ing at Mopars at the Strip this year. With it blocked off and the Grainger backed off 2 full turns it's hitting 21-22PSI with ease and ramps up MUCH faster but... The compressor surge is so loud and violent that I actually made three teenage girl scream yesterday when I spooled and shifted next to where they were walking It was actually kinda funny but the blocking it off is not a very long term solution. It already has the 'vented high pressure' mod but was done 6-8 years ago by someone else. Not sure if it's junk or there is a fix? It does blow off when it's supposed to when I close the throttle.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Re: Any Way To Fix A Talon BOV That Leaks?

you have the high pressure mod just left open, no vac line to it right??

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    you have the high pressure mod just left open, no vac line to it right??

Correct. Maybe the guy that did the mod screwed it up JK

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

turbo addict

I hope not. Try putting a Mity vac on the top port of the BOV and see if it holds vaccum. Can also pressurize the mod port and see if it holds boost. Both would see if the diaphram is leaking.

^ Good Idea, I was gonna pull it off and try to 'clean' it like a dirty Grainger but vac test sounds like a better idea

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

If I'm not mistaken (been a while) you can get adapter flanges to upgrade to an aftermarket unit without the need for welding. Put an RFL on there! I've seen horses in a field buck as I let it off with them standing next to the fence around here.

Me personally, I was never a fan of the Talon bov. It always whistled at cruise ala "all I want for xmas is my two front teeth". I don't know if it was because of the elevation vs. diaphragm spring tension or what. Always made the car sound like it was riding on worn brake pads on the wear indicators.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The RFL is loud. That's pretty much all it's good for.

From my research, the Synchronic BOV seems to be the best choice for aftermarket valves.

http://www.andysautosport.com/mitsub...a00000097.html
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Timely and funny.
    We were both futzing with DSM BOVs over the weekend.

I'm confused.

Sunday I did the Donovan Dodge Garage mod to a DSM BOV which was in almost new condition.

Per Mr. Donovan's page, I drilled a hole in the base flange such that the hole intersects the little port that comes in from the underside, the boost side. I thentapped and plugged that little port from the bottom side and inserted/glued a new barb into the edge of the base flange. Now, while that little port is closed off on the bottom, it connects to a new hose barb to atmosphere instead of to the boost side.

Now my confusion. When I apply my compressed air gun lightly to the new barb, sort of waving it past it, the big valve in the BOV will lift and flutter. Huh? Is that right?

I suspect that I could bang it open and hold it open if I applied lower pressure regulated air to the new barb. Maybe I should do just that. Could be my waving the air gun past the port is creating a Bernoulli effect?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

With boost applied only to the nipple you added, the valve should open easily.
    With boost applied to both nipples, the valve should open as it would unmodified
    With boost applied to the top nipple and the new nipple open to atmosphere, the valve should hold more boost than you would probably ever need, but will not respond very well to low pressure differentials.
    Last edited by contraption22; 05-12-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Thanks Mike, as usual, right to the point with the good stuff. And . . . . now I feeeel better.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    With boost applied only to the nipple you added, the valve should open easily.
    With boost applied to both nipples, the valve should open as it would unmodified
    With boost applied to the top nipple and the new nipple open to atmosphere, the valve should hold more boost than you would probably ever need, but will not respond very well to low pressure differentials.
    Should be a sticky

turbo addict

test yours yet Alan?

Cars and Coffee Saturday, then a party, Moms day Sunday, then Buddy's house till late. Just getting home from surgery now so not today either. A long day tomorrow and then my night with the kids... Wrenching time only comes up in fits and spurts

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

If you can get the mod to work like it's supposed to, you can use a solenoid hooked To a circuit that is controlled by the tps or a closed throttle switch so that it's in quick release mode when the throttle closes.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    If you can get the mod to work like it's supposed to, you can use a solenoid hooked To a circuit that is controlled by the tps or a closed throttle switch so that it's in quick release mode when the throttle closes.

Brian
    Or a cheap nitrous system WOT switch, or a pressure switch, etc.

I've done the WOT switch and the pressure switch and both work perfectly. Always get quick release, always can hold35+ psi boost.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Or a cheap nitrous system WOT switch, or a pressure switch, etc.

I've done the WOT switch and the pressure switch and both work perfectly. Always get quick release, always can hold35+ psi boost.
    yup. the WOT switch works but sometimes i adjust the part throttle tables so they will allow fairly high boost safely that could leak past the valve when its in quick release mode.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.